TSN: Scott Cullen's Offseason Plan for the Sabres

26CornerBlitz

Sponsor
Apr 14, 2012
South Jersey

The Buffalo Sabres have gone seven straight seasons without making the playoffs, and finished with the worst record in the league in 2017-2018. That did come with a reward, however, as the Sabres won the draft lottery and have the first pick in 2018.

Off-Season Game Plan looks at a Sabres team that might finally be on the right track, or at least moving in that direction.

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
Try and guess the D without looking.

HEROES

– It probably says something about the Sabres season that a solid defensive defenceman qualifies as one of the better performances of the season, but that’s the case with __, who was steady when not many Sabres blueliners could make such a claim.

Reactions: Mr Meeseeks

Royal Thunder

Frolunda Mode
Feb 21, 2012

HEROES

– He’s still a work in progress, missing time with injuries over the past two seasons, but he’s also a 21-year-old centre who scored 64 points in 67 games on a bad team.

– The season looked like it was going to be a complete loss, as Reinhart had 13 points in the first 44 games, but he finished with 37 points in the last 38 games. Coupled with strong possession stats, Reinhart made a strong case to be part of the plan moving forward.

– It probably says something about the Sabres season that a solid defensive defenceman qualifies as one of the better performances of the season, but that’s the case with __, who was steady when not many Sabres blueliners could make such a claim.
Woof. Injured or not, I thought McCabe was easily our worst dman when dressed last season

Reactions: Chainshot

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY

The Buffalo Sabres have gone seven straight seasons without making the playoffs, and finished with the worst record in the league in 2017-2018. That did come with a reward, however, as the Sabres won the draft lottery and have the first pick in 2018.

Off-Season Game Plan looks at a Sabres team that might finally be on the right track, or at least moving in that direction.

I like how he just threw Robby Fabbri onto our top line without even a token explanation of how we're getting another team's 22yo RFA stud away from them. Are we meant to just infer that ROR goes to St. Louis and they ship us Fabbri and Kostin?

Reactions: MATTHEWSisGretzky

MayDay

Oct 21, 2005
Pleasantville, NY
HEROES

Jake McCabe – It probably says something about the Sabres season that a solid defensive defenceman qualifies as one of the better performances of the season, but that’s the case with McCabe, who was steady when not many Sabres blueliners could make such a claim.

Uhh...was Cullen watching the same McCabe as the rest of us?

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
As suspected, pretty much everything but drafting Dahlin looks like a trash off-season. Also lol@ McCabe being a steady defensive D.

Reactions: TheCerebral1

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I like how he just threw Robby Fabbri onto our top line without even a token explanation of how we're getting another team's 22yo RFA stud away from them. Are we meant to just infer that ROR goes to St. Louis and they ship us Fabbri and Kostin?

That’s what he put in his Twitter feed.

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
Ive been a big McCabe supporter over the years, but he had a down year. That said I think his value to some GMs will be higher than we think.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
We don't add a single forward or defenseman via UFA? That's a bit suspect.

This roster strikes me as a roster that would be put together more for 2019-20 or 2020-21. I don't think Pegula and Botts (or the fanbase) have that kind of patience right now.

How did we get Conor Scheary?

I wondered the same, but perhaps the assumption is that we threw PIT a pick for him. Everyone assumes Hagelin is the odd man out, but I could see Sheary getting moved instead.

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013

HEROES

Did he confuse McCabe with Scandella? Hilarious.

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
How much effort does it really take to at least explain the trades you make?
It pretty much summed up the validity of the article for me when he slapped two guys into our lineup that we don't even own without any explanation in the article at all, other than "ROR is tradable".

He did the same thing with Conor Sheary who is under contract with the Pens for the next two years.

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
He traded OReilly to stl for kostin and fabbri? Not a ****ing chance.
I still can't figure out who he flipped to the Pens to wrangle Sheary. Lehner? Beaulieu? Even shipping both of them wouldn't come close to returning Sheary on a sweetheart contract with two years left.

Article would be comedy gold if he wasn't serious.

valet

obviously adhd
Sponsor
Jan 26, 2017
buffalo
lol this is a worthless article... It's like he didn't watch any sabres games

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad