Scoring to go up this year?

scallionjj11

FOREVERALFIE
Jun 10, 2009
East Coast
Jamie Benn with 87 points this year, the most in the NHL. I dont remember scoring to be this low since pre lock out.

Is it because teams are playing new systems that produce lower scoring games or are we going back to the clutch and grab era?

Penguinator

Kesselator
Sep 17, 2014
Space
Jamie Benn with 87 points this year, the most in the NHL. I dont remember scoring to be this low since pre lock out.

Is it because teams are playing new systems that produce lower scoring games or are we going back to the clutch and grab era?

Both + refs aren't helping very much.

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
Anyone who thinks clutching and grabbing now is like it was in the 90s has forgotten what the 90s were like.

Seriously. On topic, I think scoring will go back up this year. As much as most lament the defensive systems and the refs etc there was some straight up terrible hockey played at times last year by every team.

CashMash

Jun 5, 2015
Finland
I hope so.

Malkin and Crosby getting Kessel will probably help at least 1 team. While I doubt McDavid will have an immediate impact, I hope he can squeeze out a PPG season to wow everyone except for those expecting too much out of him right off the bat.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
every NHL player trains extremely hard in the offseason and follow ridiculously hard routines. Players have to be at a certain level nowdays to play in the NHL. The dmen are no longer huge and cant skate like they used to. These kids are giants and can skate like the wind and its tough for forwards to score. And goalies are giants and take up the whole net. They can make new rules all they want but I really never see scoring going up significantly ever. Nowadays if a player has limited skill, they are taught by certain types of coaches to play a shutdown role or an aggressive role etc. Back in the day when a 3rd and 4th line came out, they were goons and looking to fight where as now, there are almost no fighters in the league and its a hard skating battle with limited hitting and skilled guys doing their thing but getting shut down by different traps. The only way scoring gets higher is if they come up with ridiculously horrible ideas to gve players more penalties and then that will create more PP's. Scoring is on the decline yearly and I don't see it ending.

The best way for them to increase scoring is to ban all offseason training for a few months so then when training camp comes around, we see who all the natural goal scorers are and let them do their thing hahah

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
It has nothing to do with the officiating. You were allowed to do anything short of assault and battery in the 80's and early 90's and teams were putting up lacrosse scores. People seriously don't remember the 90's if they think clutch and grab is back...or clutch and grab and choke and tackle is more like it.

Goaltending is coached better and creativity is discouraged at lower levels.

Leetch, Coffey, and Bourque would be tied to a pole by modern coaches.

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
I remember seeing something that showed a lot stars got their ice time lowered by about a minute a game which also contributed to point totals lowering

struckbyaparkedcar

Guilty of Being Right
Mar 1, 2008
Upstate NY
It has nothing to do with the officiating. You were allowed to do anything short of assault and battery in the 80's and early 90's and teams were putting up lacrosse scores. People seriously don't remember the 90's if they think clutch and grab is back...or clutch and grab and choke and tackle is more like it.

Goaltending is coached better and creativity is discouraged at lower levels.

Leetch, Coffey, and Bourque would be tied to a pole by modern coaches.
It's been statistically proven that refs are calling games to end with as small a penalty differential as possible, so you're flat out wrong there.

feds91

May 17, 2004
Scoring might not go up, but GAA's will. 3 on 3 OTs will produce more goals that actually count (as opposed to SO goals that don't statistically). Top scorers will have more points cuz they'll be on the ice during the 3 on 3 OTs. I guess that's a good thing, right?

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005

I think the penalties now that don't get called when it's obviously a penalty is interference and obstruction

In terms of scoring going up I guess it depends if the refs decide to call those penalties this year or now

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I think the penalties now that don't get called when it's obviously a penalty is interference and obstruction

In terms of scoring going up I guess it depends if the refs decide to call those penalties this year or now

They weren't being called back then either and games were ending 7-5.

That little "subtle interference" people are so riled up about was called literally one year in NHL history: 2005-06, and that whole season turned into powerplay contests. Every other year it's been textbook defense, and those 100 some-odd years have seen a huge variation in scoring. I don't know why people seem to think this play has such a huge effect.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
They weren't being called back then either and games were ending 7-5.

That little "subtle interference" people are so riled up about was called literally one year in NHL history: 2005-06, and that whole season turned into powerplay contests. Every other year it's been textbook defense, and those 100 some-odd years have seen a huge variation in scoring. I don't know why people seem to think this play has such a huge effect.

If a team does them once or twice in a game, fine let it go, but when it becomes part of the gameplan to interfere and obstruct players they should get a warning(after they do it a certain amount of times) then called

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
If a team does them once or twice in a game, fine let it go, but when it becomes part of the gameplan to interfere and obstruct players they should get a warning(after they do it a certain amount of times) then called

It's been a basic hockey play for over a century.

The Thin White Duke

Aug 11, 2009
There seems to be more of a push to rebuild 'properly' instead of gunning for 8th, and prices for high end offensive players seem to be down. I'd expect the bigger accumulation of offensive talent on top teams to beat up on the Toronto/Carolina/Arizona's of the league more than they did last year.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
It's been a basic hockey play for over a century.

So why even write up a rule making it a penalty? Just let the players have free reign to interfere all they want. Simple fact is penalties have gone down over the past 10 years in an almost linear fashion, while at the same time goal scoring has gone down as well. In general the bulk of those penalties we not getting now are obstruction and interference. It's getting to the point teams now have no problem breaking what should be an illegal move.

As I said I have no problem letting it go if it happens in the heat of the moment and it's not really a constant thing, but it's as if teams plan games around obstructing and interfering now knowing the rule won't be called

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad