OT: Scoring is up in the NHL !

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
Same **** as 2006.

5v5 scoring is relatively consistent thus far, PPs and thus PP scoring is up big time.

If they keep calling slashes this strictly, players will learn, scoring will level off.

If they dont keep calling it this strict, PPs will go down, scoring will level off.

The elephants in the room remain goalie equipment and rampant shot blocking.

BobbyJet

The accountability era?
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
I haven't done the math on PP vs ES but I reckon it's more than just PP's driving this.

As much as I despised the way games were officiated in preseason and early on, we seem to be seeing results. Less hacking and hooking = more offense. At least I hope so.

Reactions: JaegerDice

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Goalie equipment is close to as small as you want it to be. Chest Protectors are smaller (Crow). Safety is More important for safety. Weight is the key along with the new skates being higher which allow for greater angles and movement (if you want more detail let me know).

Reactions: JaegerDice

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
Same **** as 2006.

5v5 scoring is relatively consistent thus far, PPs and thus PP scoring is up big time.

If they keep calling slashes this strictly, players will learn, scoring will level off.

If they dont keep calling it this strict, PPs will go down, scoring will level off.

The elephants in the room remain goalie equipment and rampant shot blocking.
But if players learn and level off that that is what opens up more 5on5 space for scoring

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
But if players learn and level off that that is what opens up more 5on5 space for scoring

True. That's certainly the hope.

It looked like that would happen with obstruction, but after that first, crazy, PP-filled season it started regressing back to older standards of enforcement.

Hopefully this one sticks.

BrianE

Dec 29, 2014
WI
I hope they keep calling penalties, how else are we going to see any goals? Sick and tired of 1 - 0 and 2 to 1 games. I miss all those 50 goal scorers, bring back the 80's.

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
I hope they keep calling penalties, how else are we going to see any goals? Sick and tired of 1 - 0 and 2 to 1 games. I miss all those 50 goal scorers, bring back the 80's.

So you want 5-6 good players per team, dominating the guys that can hardly hockey stop, that play on the 3rd and 4th lines? While shooting against awful goalies that stand straight up in their crease?

No thanks to 80's hockey.

The quality of hockey now is 10 times what it was in the 80s. Which is why scoring is down. Everyone in the NHL can play, and it creates parity.

BobbyJet

The accountability era?
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
So you want 5-6 good players per team, dominating the guys that can hardly hockey stop, that play on the 3rd and 4th lines? While shooting against awful goalies that stand straight up in their crease?

No thanks to 80's hockey.

The quality of hockey now is 10 times what it was in the 80s. Which is why scoring is down. Everyone in the NHL can play, and it creates parity.

I don't recall anyone saying that.

Do you remember way back to 2009, 2010, 2011 when Hawks were never out of a game and could score in bunches when needed? That's what I want back! Certainly not trap hockey, hoping the ops can make a mistake and perhaps a 2-1 win could be had.

A coach's dream often = a fan's nightmare and vice versa.

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
I don't recall anyone saying that.

Do you remember way back to 2009, 2010, 2011 when Hawks were never out of a game and could score in bunches when needed? That's what I want back! Certainly not trap hockey, hoping the ops can make a mistake and perhaps a 2-1 win could be had.

A coach's dream often = a fan's nightmare and vice versa.

It's up to the coaches to innovate and create more offense. Not the league... Hockey is a game of rock/paper/scissors. You have to be able to counter what the other team is doing. The talent gap between players is closing, and players are playing systems from the time they can spell the word... The players are faster, smarter, and more talented across the board. It's a big reason I'd like to see a lot more new blood in the NHL coaching ranks. These dinosaurs are stuck in their ways, and keep trying to smash round pegs into square holes.

80's hockey was crap.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad