Proposal: Scorey Perry

GodHatesBuffalo

Jan 19, 2012
Rochester
I believe Perry is due to be a UFA at the end of the year, meaning ANA may be worried that he will skip town with nothing in return come july, a la drury/briere.

Having him on the team while not trading any of our current NHL players could give us a roster favored for the cup:

Vanek-Hodgson-Pomm
Foligno-Ennis-Stafford
Leino-Grigorenko-Perry
Gerbe-Hecht-Ott

Obviously Perry would be our best winger. He is physical and is a scoring machine. I can only think of maybe Malkin and Stamkos as players I'd rather have on my team than Perry

Here is the proposed trade: I personally think its a bit of overpayment for a one year rental, but sometimes you have to overpay to win the cup. We could always scrape some of these guys off the list to make the trade more fair.

Joel Armia-A replacement for many years for the ducks. Stud.
TJ Brennan- Besides Schultz, best Offensive D-man in the AHL this yr.
Jake McCabe- Captained team USA in WJC to gold. was a stud. leadership qualities
Luke Adam- Center prospect who played in NHL all star game last year as a rookie. capable offensive player who isn't defensive enough for Ruff.
2nd round pick

I personally don't want to give all of these guys up, I just propose it this way to show that we can make a real run at a player like Perry and go for the cup this year. We have NHL talent and more prospects then we know what to do with.

Why ANA does it: I can't believe they will get a better deal than this. Their team is well stocked in return for a player who may skip town for nothing anyway.

Why BUF does it: The goal here is resigning Perry at the end of the year. One hopes that the sabres have a magical year with this roster and he falls in love with the team and will re-sign. I don't forsee that necessarily happening if we landed Perry at say, the trade deadline. It would be in our best interest to have an entire year to show him why the city is for him, instead of a month or two or three. It makes sense sooner, rather than later.

What do you guys/gals think?

HockeyH3aven

Jan 22, 2009
Jacksonville, FL
I believe Perry is due to be a UFA at the end of the year, meaning ANA may be worried that he will skip town with nothing in return come july, a la drury/briere.

Having him on the team while not trading any of our current NHL players is never going to happen
:

Vanek-Hodgson-Pomm
Foligno-Ennis-Stafford
Leino-Grigorenko-Perry
Gerbe-Hecht-Ott

Obviously Perry would be our best winger. He is physical and is a scoring machine. I can only think of maybe Malkin and Stamkos as players I'd rather have on my team than Perry

Here is the proposed trade: I personally think its a bit of overpayment for a one year rental, but sometimes you have to overpay to win the cup. We could always scrape some of these guys off the list to make the trade more fair.

Joel Armia-A replacement for many years for the ducks. Stud.
TJ Brennan- Besides Schultz, best Offensive D-man in the AHL this yr.
Jake McCabe- Captained team USA in WJC to gold. was a stud. leadership qualities
Luke Adam- Center prospect who played in NHL all star game last year as a rookie. capable offensive player who isn't defensive enough for Ruff.
2nd round pick

I personally don't want to give all of these guys up, I just propose it this way to show that we can make a real run at a player like Perry and go for the cup this year. We have NHL talent and more prospects then we know what to do with.

Why ANA does it: I can't believe they will get a better deal than this. Their team is well stocked in return for a player who may skip town for nothing anyway.

Why BUF does it: The goal here is resigning Perry at the end of the year. One hopes that the sabres have a magical year with this roster and he falls in love with the team and will re-sign. I don't forsee that necessarily happening if we landed Perry at say, the trade deadline. It would be in our best interest to have an entire year to show him why the city is for him, instead of a month or two or three. It makes sense sooner, rather than later.

What do you guys/gals think?

Fixed that for you.

beerme1

Jun 27, 2011
This will never happen. Our team regardless of stating the three goal to win a cupp is looking at being top shelf for years with our emerging young guys. I think Armia and certainly McCabe are going to be a big part of that. The other guys are nothing to us. I don't see Darcy giving those two guys up. It's his building of the team.
I would want Perry in a hearbeat. I'll even give you Vanek and Miller today to make that happen.

P.S. GodHatesBuffalo is a great name. Made me laugh :handclap:

GodHatesBuffalo

Jan 19, 2012
Rochester
Buffalo is more than a Corey Perry away from being a serious contender, so decimating your prospect pool for 48 games and then watching him walk would be ludicrous.

Our back end is solid and Miller can get hot. Buffalo's offense would be top 5 in the league as well with that line up. How would we not be contenders? Take the pessimism shades off.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
Buffalo is more than a Corey Perry away from being a serious contender, so decimating your prospect pool for 48 games and then watching him walk would be ludicrous.

I agree with this. I'm all for making a deal if it's a smart value, but there's no reason to sell the farm right now, especially when there's no guarantee we can reach a contract with Perry.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
I'd be willing to do Vanek+ for Perry....but I doubt the Ducks want that contract.

wilson1379

Jan 3, 2013
Canada
4 good prospects and a 2nd round pick for Corey Perry for a couple months?

I would have to pick a new favourite team if this happened.

Sean McG

Dec 27, 2009
Niagara on the Lake, ON
I'd be willing to do this trade, and add more, if the deal was contingent on Perry signing a deal right away. I'm confident that Pegula would do whatever it takes to offer him the most money, but it seems pretty obvious that Perry/Getzlaf want to sign with the same team. Very realistic that he'd bolt, so I wouldn't want him without a contract.

Edit: re-read this and it was kinda confusing... basically just meant I think in a normal situation the Sabres could re-sign Perry, but there's probably a 90% chance he signs on the same team as Getzlaf, so it's not a normal situation.

But if he would sign a deal, I'd say yeah. Extremely special player, when was the last time a Hart Trophy winner became available within 3 years of winning it?

Last edited:

Old Navy Goat

Apr 24, 2003
Pattaya Thailand aka adult Disneyland
Our back end is solid and Miller can get hot. Buffalo's offense would be top 5 in the league as well with that line up. How would we not be contenders? Take the pessimism shades off.

Too many question marks for the offense as outside of the wingers you don't know what you have with the centers and if they can handle the load. Also, any goalie can get hot but outside of one season he hasn't shown it on a consistent basis night in and night out.

HockeyH3aven

Jan 22, 2009
Jacksonville, FL
Too many question marks for the offense as outside of the wingers you don't know what you have with the centers and if they can handle the load. Also, any goalie can get hot but outside of one season he hasn't shown it on a consistent basis night in and night out.

But that wouldn't change even with this trade. You say too many question marks, and then exclude 6 of the best offensive players. :laugh:

There's really only two: Hodgson and Grigs. Ennis can and will produce consistently in this league, there's really no doubting his talent. He may never be a number one center, but he'll be a 50+ point guy for the rest of his career IMO.

FearTheBeard

Mar 27, 2011
This is a pretty lopsided trade, because as other have said Perry could easily walk in the offseason, why risk a key portion of our farm for that

Ron C.

Jun 16, 2002
Amherst, NY
Visit site
I would do that deal.. and more for Stamkos, not for 48 games of Perry. Anaheim will be hard pressed to re-sign Perry and Getzlaf, especially if it appears they will not be that competitive in the near future. If the Sabres acquire Perry, it will be with $$$$ over the summer.

Push Dr Tracksuit

Gerstmann 3:16
Jun 9, 2012
Two things:

First, I agree Buffalo is not in a position to want to make this trade. If everyone we have plays to their potential it's a great move but if they don't we are basically maple leafing ourselves. Wait and see how the troops look after the season.

Second, Darcy just got an extension and therefore so did Ruff. Only reason you extend them is if youthink Darcy just put together another winner. If that is the case I think you definitely put out feelers on a resigning and trade.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
Or, trade for his rights after the season and sign him.

Probably not really worth trading anything more than like a 6th rounder for rights anymore, because from now on there's a whole week window where you can negotiate with any UFAs before the signing period begins.

GodHatesBuffalo

Jan 19, 2012
Rochester
Third line? Am I reading this correctly?

Just cus its listed behind two other lines doesn't mean it couldn't be our best of the four lines. Put him wherever you want. It makes sense to put him with the guy who has the best playmaking hands, and our best puck possession forward. So if you're the kind of guy that can't get past appearances (racist* cough), I'll reorganize it for you?

Leino-Grigorenko-Perry
Van-Hodg-Pom
Leino-Grig-Scorey
Ott-Hecht-Kaleta

If you want to be real picky i guess you can pair him with vanek or a different center...obviously.

Was jk about that racist thing if you cant read hidden jokes well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad