Score Rumor: Bertuzzi in, Crosby out (Can Olympic roster)

Status
Not open for further replies.

sveiglar

Feb 27, 2002
I think it's become a no-brainer over the past two weeks that Crosby doesn't make it.

jstreet

LETS GO PREDS
Jan 15, 2004
FL via Nashville
www.twitter.com
boredmale said:
they just mentioned on tv they heard it through the grapevine that Bertuzzi will be on the Canadian roster and Crosby won't be

Hockey needs the game to be promoted, Crosby brings the attention, no way he gets left off.

Whether he should be left of or not is up for debate, but hockey needs to be showcased and the Crosby hype train is the vehicle to get it done.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
sveiglar said:
I think it's become a no-brainer over the past two weeks that Crosby doesn't make it.

although i didn't think they would pick him, i was worried they might go let's make him the 13th player for the experience route.

burnlikestars said:
Hockey needs the game to be promoted, Crosby brings the attention, no way he gets left off.

Whether he should be left of or not is up for debate, but hockey needs to be showcased and the Crosby hype train is the vehicle to get it done.

problem with picking him is you will have the whole country hating him because they feel there are more deserving players.

sveiglar

Feb 27, 2002
burnlikestars said:

Canada is not concerned with promoting the game, they're concerned with winning a gold medal. Crosby shouldn't be there.

PEli*

burnlikestars said:

Hockey doesn't pick the roster. Gretzky, Quinn, etc. pick the team. They don't care about promoting the game. It's all about gold. Since when does promoting the game (in another country, for that matter) make an impact on the picking of a team.

Crosby barely makes the taxi squad...if that. He won't be on the big team.

Tage2Tuch

Because TheJackAttack is in Black
May 10, 2004
CAN
And so it should happen that way.....that's the RIGHT thing to do.

There's no room for Crosby.

Randall Graves*

Bertuzzi has turned it on, he can be a bigger asset to team canada than Crosby.

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
I don't think that anyone could disagree but I thought he would make the team. He can play both center and wing. Plus it would be great to groom him for the future.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
The kid is 18. When the next Olympics comes around in 4 years he'll be 22. He can wait and there will be many opportunities for him to win gold. With that said, what the hell is Shane Doan doing on Team Canada?

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Ziggy Stardust said:
The kid is 18. When the next Olympics comes around in 4 years he'll be 22. He can wait and there will be many opportunities for him to win gold. With that said, what the hell is Shane Doan doing on Team Canada?

i guess playing for Gretzky has it's advantages. They should have picked Shanahan instead of him.

My question is why the hell are they showing the chicks with the guys. Nobody gives a rat's *** about woman's hockey.

futurcorerock

Nov 15, 2003
Columbus, OH
burnlikestars said:

Like it or not, Bertuzzi is about as well-known, if not moreso than Sidney Crosby in North America

Danny__K

Oct 6, 2005
Damn and i was getting all excited when i didn't hear bertuzzi or jovonovski on the lists in their spots. Should have remembered from 2002 they saved the home team players til last....

jstreet

LETS GO PREDS
Jan 15, 2004
FL via Nashville
www.twitter.com
I made my post mostly after reading what Buccigross said in his mailbag.,which I think he is right on this one. He says,

The NHL participates in the Olympics to market its players and grow its game. The telecast of Canada's 5-2 victory over the United States for the gold medal in 2002 drew a 10.7 rating, the highest for any hockey game, NHL or Olympics, since the 1980 Olympics. Now that NBC has the NHL package, it will heavily promote NHL hockey and upcoming games during the Olympics. Sidney Crosby is a key part of the NHL's marketing strategy. The NHL wants him at the Olympics. NBC wants him at the Olympics. He will be at the Olympics.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/columns/story?columnist=buccigross_john&id=2265269

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

canuckers88

its a sad day for hockey, its a sad day for hockey,that the dirtiest player in the game is on this team.

davemess

Apr 9, 2003
Scotland
monster_bertuzzi said:
Bertuzzi is probably the most famous hockey player (other than Gretzky, maybe Lemieux) in the USA.

Yeah but famous for what, it aint his hockey ability thats for sure.

Its not as if Canada are Belarus and need to get every NHLer they can find, if they dont take Bertuzzi they can take somebody almost as good who hasnt had so much awful press.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad