Schwarz Vs Montoya

Status
Not open for further replies.

Disco Volante

Mar 11, 2002
2nd to FloydianSlip
Visit site
Of the little I've seen of both, Montoya impressed me more, but from what I read I think Schwarz is going to be taken first. The next two-three years and their entry in the NHL will be very interesting in their case, we won't know for a while who's better IMO.

So IMO :

Taken first : Schwarz
Better carreer : Montoya (how do you say? crabshoot or something... It's really a guess at this point, for me anyway)

KingPurpleDinosaur

Bandwagon Kings Fan
Dec 17, 2002
irvine, ca
www.anteaterhockey.com
i dont know if its just becuase we're more familiar with him, but montoya seems to be talked about far more then schwarz. i notice that most people talk about montoya as if he's better but then schwarz but then the consensus higher ranked goalie is schwarz. it seems that not many people have seen schwarz, so it's a bit difficult to gauge his true potential or capablilities.

Russian_fanatic

Jan 19, 2004
Legionnaire said:
I'd like to hear more opinions. Schwarz potential is very intriguing, but his style has me quite worried

What style does he play ? The flopping fish ? Butterfly ? or something else ?

Postman

Feb 27, 2002
From everything I've seen of them (a few WJC games) and read, they seem to be on pretty much the same level. If one is better than the other, it's not by a whole lot.

Of course, they're not on the tier of Lehtonen and Fleury, rather with Leclaire, Blackburn, and the like, it seems.

Disco Volante

Mar 11, 2002
2nd to FloydianSlip
Visit site
Postman said:
Of course, they're not on the tier of Lehtonen and Fleury, rather with Leclaire, Blackburn, and the like, it seems.

I guess it depends of your opinion of those goalies too. I'd put them in between Lehto/Fleury and Black/Leclaire. At the level of Ouellet and Miller. But that's really only the result of my perception of a somewhat pretty large gap between L/F and B/L!

Captain Conservative

Apr 1, 2004
My Blue Heaven
I read someone that Schwarz is the most flexible/quickest goalie prospect to come along in awhile. The article said that he was even faster and more flexible than Lehtonen or Fleury, but his game isnt as refined as either of those guys.

Postman

Feb 27, 2002
Disco Volante said:
I guess it depends of your opinion of those goalies too. I'd put them in between Lehto/Fleury and Black/Leclaire. At the level of Ouellet and Miller. But that's really only the result of my perception of a somewhat pretty large gap between L/F and B/L!

I've never seen Leclaire play, so I can't comment on him. But Blackburn I've always liked and had a pretty high opinion on, despite his recent struggles. Either way, they're definitely not on Lehtonen and Fleury's level.

Russian_fanatic

Jan 19, 2004
LittlePenguin66 said:
Ahonen is the best out of them you think???
(Schwartz,Montoya,Toivonen,Leneuve,Delaurier)

Toivonen ... Didn't seem him ! He is the best , imo he is a franchise goaltender and will take Rayzors job pretty quick .

Legionnaire

Help On The Way
Jul 10, 2002
LA-LA Land
Postman said:
From everything I've seen of them (a few WJC games) and read, they seem to be on pretty much the same level. If one is better than the other, it's not by a whole lot.

Uh oh, I just found out that Montoya is Cuban. There's no way I want the Kings to draft him now. :snide:

CoolburnIsGone

Legionnaire said:
Uh oh, I just found out that Montoya is Cuban. There's no way I want the Kings to draft him now. :snide:
ESPN had something about Montoya recently stating he met with teams selecting 5,6, & 7 (PHX, NYR, & FL). Given that the area close to where FL plays has a HUGE Cuban population, this might actually work out to be a PR move in addition to selecting the BPA at #7. Montoya said he watched Richter a lot growing up so I guess that's who he is compared to (though I've never heard exact comparisons as of yet).

Legionnaire

Help On The Way
Jul 10, 2002
LA-LA Land
RichPanther said:
ESPN had something about Montoya recently stating he met with teams selecting 5,6, & 7 (PHX, NYR, & FL). Given that the area close to where FL plays has a HUGE Cuban population, this might actually work out to be a PR move in addition to selecting the BPA at #7. Montoya said he watched Richter a lot growing up so I guess that's who he is compared to (though I've never heard exact comparisons as of yet).

The article I read mentioned NY, and Richter, but the two other teams that interviewed him were LA and San Jose. I don't think it's a big thing who did or did not interview him. I'm sure all the teams did, but the author/s may not have known about it, or it was early in the combine.

It'll be interesting how this whole thing shakes out. It's hard for me to see Florida taking another goaltender considering they have other needs.

CoolburnIsGone

Legionnaire said:
It's hard for me to see Florida taking another goaltender considering they have other needs.
Are those needs the ones you perceive or the organization's?? Because after Luongo, there is zero goaltender prospects with starting ability in the organization. What if Luongo gets hurt (god forbid) similar to how Trevor Kidd got hurt for FL (dominanting until he participated in a team skills competition and has never been the same). That what-if isn't as concerning as his agent's demands for him to be the highest paid goaltender in the league. A small market team like FL paying over $8 million is not going to make that team successful and probably just stagnant (because they'll have to deal off other core pieces that will garner a good amount of money, probably Jokinen first to go). His contract expires after next season in which he's making $2 million/yr. So let's say the team plays hardball ala Edmonton with Mike Comrie. Then you have a holdout situation/trade demand. The smartest thing FL could do is take the best player available...even if that doesn't solve any of their "other needs". If that player happens to be Montoya, then you draft him, plain & simple.

Source of agent demands: http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?id=80403

Postman

Feb 27, 2002
Legionnaire said:

Ha!

Where'd you find out? Did you make the connection from my avatar that features Montoya's head photoshoped on to Scarface's body?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad