Schwartz invisable - a no show as well

• Thread starter LightSoundGeometry*
  • Start date

LightSoundGeometry*

how come he gets a pass? where has this guy been ? should be a series where he makes an impact but he is a non existent no show like slowshie and company

thought he would be a positive impact in the series but he is as bad a stastny and slowshie

Burynai

Nov 10, 2010
St. Louis
how come he gets a pass? where has this guy been ? should be a series where he makes an impact but he is a non existent no show like slowshie and company

thought he would be a positive impact in the series but he is as bad a stastny and slowshie

I honestly think it's the consistent line changes......

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
I would say that he's been a little less effective in this series than he usually is and I think his small size is more of a hindrance in the playoffs than in the regular season (just like how Bergy's size makes him a better playoff player than regular season player). With the whistles effectively swallowed for the playoffs (there could've been 100 interference, hooking, holding penalties called on both teams last night), size becomes more important in the playoffs. That said, he does have 3 pts in the 5 games so I don't think he's been as invisible as some of the other guys.

Oberyn

Prince of Dorne
Mar 27, 2011
My main gripe about Schwartz is he tends to just throw the puck blindly in front of the net instead of looking up and trying to find an open man. Everyone on these boards raves about how he's such a great passer, but those types of plays really diminish my view on his playmaking.

Lord Helix

Nov 12, 2010
My main gripe about Schwartz is he tends to just throw the puck blindly in front of the net instead of looking up and trying to find an open man. Everyone on these boards raves about how he's such a great passer, but those types of plays really diminish my view on his playmaking.

Stastny as well. They both love forcing passes when there's no one home in the slot or back door.

SirPaste

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
STL
I wouldnt say hes been invisiible, he hasnt been great but not bad either. Plenty of other guys are playing much worse than he is

LightSoundGeometry*

a lot of hyperbole on my part because of frustration but I expected more from a guy who some are saying is the next captain ..like a goal at some point would be nice

EastonBlues22

Nov 25, 2003
RIP Fugu ϶(°o°)ϵ
Schwartz looks a lot more effective when the Blues aren't playing a 1-2-2. His ability to anticipate and disrupt plays is great when he's allowed to be aggressive. A more passive defense neuters a lot of his effectiveness on that side of the puck, IMO.

I've seen Schwartz play better on offense than I have this series, but I don't think he's been that bad. I wouldn't point a finger at him as a reason for why the Blues are currently at risk of elimination.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
He has scored a goal and has 3 points in 5 games. I agree, we need more out of him still. But to put him on the same level as a guy like Oshie? No. Not close.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
I would say that he's been a little less effective in this series than he usually is and I think his small size is more of a hindrance in the playoffs than in the regular season (just like how Bergy's size makes him a better playoff player than regular season player). With the whistles effectively swallowed for the playoffs (there could've been 100 interference, hooking, holding penalties called on both teams last night), size becomes more important in the playoffs. That said, he does have 3 pts in the 5 games so I don't think he's been as invisible as some of the other guys.

What about Johnson then? As far as I remember, he's even smaller.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
I don't think Berglund's size is the cause of his playoff success. Correlation, not causation. That also makes it seem like Berglund is a playoff performer, which he isn't. He's had a good series this year, but was a no show the past 2 years.

There are lots of big guys who don't perform, and lots of small guys who do perform. Making that a concern here with Schwartz is a huge reach. He's never let his size be a factor and constantly out-battles guys bigger than him. It's not like that's going to change just because it's the playoffs. It's still the same game, and Minnesota isn't even a big/physical team to begin with. Has nothing to do with it, IMO. I think it's more that Minnesota can basically just key in on Schwartz and Tarasenko and as long as they hold those guys to 1 goal a game, they can beat the rest of our team because they don't produce.

RR10*

Disagree with this. Look at Backes for example. He has the size but is still a no-show in the playoffs.

Schwartz can do better but he isn't near as bad as Backes and Oshie. In Schwartz case I think it's more of a coincidence while in Backes and Oshie's case I just don't think they can do much better.

Captain Creampuff

Sep 10, 2012
Don't really agree with this. While Schwartz hasn't been Tarasenko, Shattenkirk, or Pietrangelo good; he's still been better than the rest of the team other than maybe Steen.

LGB51

2019 STANLEY CUP CHAMPION ST. LOUIS BLUES!
Oct 9, 2013
Arcola, IL
What else is new, we only have a few players that have stepped up. Everyone else is so damn petrified of giving it their best and failing, that they're just going through the motions. Jake should have went to the coach yesterday before the game and told him he had psyched himself out, guy was shaking like a leaf last night.

Blues88

Apr 27, 2009
St. Louis
Johnson is playing against a soft Detroit team, Schwartz is playing against a tough Minnesota team

You must be confusing Detroit with another team. They aren't soft at all. First in on the puck, winning board battles, paying the price in all zones. Watch that series. Having big hitters doesn't make you hard, or effective, by default.

Johnson's a good player with a ton of speed. He catches defenders flat footed blasting through the neutral zone. He's had a tough series too. Broke through in few but not the world beater he was in the regular season. He's also playing consistently with Palat and Kucherov, which always helps.

Schwartz has been fine. Hasn't buried his chances....some of that is forcing the play. He's cutting to the middle a ton instead of taking a straight line to the net when he has a lane. That's frustration rearing its head. Tarasenko does it too. They both should just stay loose and play their game.

A big problem in this series has been a loss of identity going both ways.....Backes and Oshie are playing "finesse" instead of initiating physicality, Tarasenko and Schwartz are playing "tight" instead of trusting their instincts and chemistry to find each other and create chances.

On the other end of the spectrum, Pietrangelo's been more assertive and engaged in the offensive zone, just as Berglund has picked up his checking and isn't as hesitant to shoot. If they could all find themselves like these two have, we'd be WAY more effective.

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
Disagree with this. Look at Backes for example. He has the size but is still a no-show in the playoffs.

Schwartz can do better but he isn't near as bad as Backes and Oshie. In Schwartz case I think it's more of a coincidence while in Backes and Oshie's case I just don't think they can do much better.

Well, there's obviously going to be exceptions to every rule. My point is that generally speaking, size becomes a bigger factor and is more beneficial in the playoffs than in the regular season since the playoffs are called WAY looser. A player has to practically be murdered to be get a penalty called. There will of course be exceptions to that, in both directions, but by and large I feel it holds true. Do you disagree with that?

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
Well, there's obviously going to be exceptions to every rule. My point is that generally speaking, size becomes a bigger factor and is more beneficial in the playoffs than in the regular season since the playoffs are called WAY looser. A player has to practically be murdered to be get a penalty called. There will of course be exceptions to that, in both directions, but by and large I feel it holds true. Do you disagree with that?

Well, a small player with good IQ and scating is very hard to be pressed. Perhaps bad big player would be doing better than bad small player, but good small player is still a good small player even in the playoffs. Or at least should be.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad