Schnieder signs offer sheet to play in Dallas

The old geezer

Feb 10, 2007
My first ever RFA offer ive made and ive started a war and created an enemy lol this leagues GMs have alot of passion

RFA offers generally result in some uproar every year. Goes with the territory Zac and a small controversy at that. As was previously stated I highly doubt yours was the only RFA offer for Scheider, I came very close to submitting a couple myself including on Schneider. If it weren't for the questions about Raymonds back I probably would have put an RFA offer in there as well ... maybe somebody else did which would really drive Robb nuts.

RFA offers from Nick and I on Seabrook and Gleason respectively unfortunately resulted in one GM deciding to resign a few years back so this is small potatoes.

Dryden

Feb 27, 2002
Toronto
It wasn't the offers that pissed him off though. Wasn't there a mix up with a deadline or something?

The old geezer

Feb 10, 2007
It wasn't the offers that pissed him off though. Wasn't there a mix up with a deadline or something?

Seem to recall he had simply stated, before the RFA offers were announced, that he would match all offers. Then when it was actually time to respond to RFA offers he didn't respond believing the earlier statement should suffice.

Either way he would have had reason to be frustrated. If I recall correctly if he matched the combined offers would have put him well above the cap and he would have had to dump salary elsewhere.

Canuck09

Jul 4, 2004
Vancouver
$990K per season for 3 years was too low for an agent to bother responding. It would be strange to see you matching $4M when you could have had him for much lower.

Even if it was $1 for 3 years shouldn't an agent always respond? At least lie and say the offer wasn't received. To say the agent won't respond if the offer is deemed too low isn't right to me.

Canuck09

Jul 4, 2004
Vancouver

The initial results were posted, Claudio said he would match, bunch of mistakes were pointed out so FA was basically a do-over. Once results were posted again Claudio didn't confirm again in the correct place and had to give up his players for draft pick compensation.

Wildman

Feb 28, 2002
Toronto
Even if it was $1 for 3 years shouldn't an agent always respond? At least lie and say the offer wasn't received. To say the agent won't respond if the offer is deemed too low isn't right to me.

The offer was QO or 3 years at $990k. The agent noted the QO. As for responding, the GM should know better than just randomly offering a low ball offer. If you provide justification on offers than we would reply. We also have 3 strike rule which we hardly use.

MatthewFlames

Jul 21, 2003
'Murica
The initial results were posted, Claudio said he would match, bunch of mistakes were pointed out so FA was basically a do-over. Once results were posted again Claudio didn't confirm again in the correct place and had to give up his players for draft pick compensation.

Actually - the real problem was that Claudio DIDN'T respond at all after the RFA offers were announced, either the first time or from the do-over - I sent him emails right at the deadline but he didn't respond. When he finally said he would match it was already long after the deadline and the players were already moving....

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
Actually - the real problem was that Claudio DIDN'T respond at all after the RFA offers were announced, either the first time or from the do-over - I sent him emails right at the deadline but he didn't respond. When he finally said he would match it was already long after the deadline and the players were already moving....

Not just that, but it was a horrible precedent. After all, everyone knew he didn't actually mean "Any offer". Otherwise, division rivals could have signed Gleason and Seebrook to 4 year x $8M deals, and he would have been obviously upset and said "no way I would match those offers".

Which is to say, somewhere between their last salary and the league maximum, there WAS a salary amount for each player (and the relative compensation) that he would have wanted to walk away from. But to claim "I will match anything" in order to scare away bidders, doesn't actually mean he would actually match anything. That was the main problem with him just posting that and turning a blind eye to the whole situation.

As such, he lost both players, and rightfully so.

Brent Burns Beard