Proposal: Schneider (NJD) for Simmonds (Phi)

njdevil26

I hate avocados
Dec 13, 2006
Clark, NJ
I want to start this off by saying I don't know why the Flyers would want Schneider and his contract. HOWEVER....

I heard from someone very reputable in the hockey media that the Flyers and Devils are discussing a trade that would send Schneider to the Flyers for Wayne Simmonds.

I personally like this deal as a Devils fan. I am sure the Devils would offer to retain some of Schneider's contract.

Since I cannot say who told me this.. let's treat this as pure random speculation.

Thoughts?

njdevil26

I hate avocados
Dec 13, 2006
Clark, NJ
I would imagine a real deal involving those two players would see the Devils add PLUS retain some of Schneider's salary.

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
I would imagine a real deal involving those two players would see the Devils add PLUS retain some of Schneider's salary.

For a pending free agent set to get a hefty contract, and whose game historically doesn't age well?

I'm a big fan of Simmonds, but I fear he's going to go the way of the Lucic. Buyer beware.

If you want to talk straight up, I'll think about it, but I'm not sweetening **** for the Flyers. The possibility of Cory getting his game together and being their (glaring) missing piece is risky enough for me.

Reactions: Smitty426

qqaz

Think Happy Thoughts
Oct 25, 2018
Why do the Flyers need another goalie? Elliott, Neuvirth, Pickard, Lyon, Hart, and Stolarz. They have 5 guys who all want NHL time.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
If we're moving Simmonds, I want futures, not more of what we already have.

If your 'source' is accurate though, one of neuvirth or elliott has to go back with him, otherwise we'd have 5 NHL goalies on our roster.

njdevil26

I hate avocados
Dec 13, 2006
Clark, NJ
The thing I like about Simmonds is that he brings toughness to the top six which we BADLY need... while he also adds offense.
Hall-Hischier-Palmieri
Johansson-Zacha-Simmonds

I guess that's how it would look.

Monsieur Verdoux

Dec 6, 2016
Finland
I want to start this off by saying I don't know why the Flyers would want Schneider and his contract. HOWEVER....

I heard from someone very reputable in the hockey media that the Flyers and Devils are discussing a trade that would send Schneider to the Flyers for Wayne Simmonds.

I personally like this deal as a Devils fan. I am sure the Devils would offer to retain some of Schneider's contract.

Since I cannot say who told me this.. let's treat this as pure random speculation.

Thoughts?
I would love to see Simmonds in the Devils. Right now there isn’t anyone who can stand front of a goalie and put the puck in the net. On the other hand I’m not sure I would like to make 6-7 years extension with him after this season.

However, as @njdevil26 wrote, I’m not sure why the Flyers would want Schneider and his contract.

njdevil26

I hate avocados
Dec 13, 2006
Clark, NJ
If we're moving Simmonds, I want futures, not more of what we already have.

If your 'source' is accurate though, one of neuvirth or elliott has to go back with him, otherwise we'd have 5 NHL goalies on our roster.

If I'm the Flyers, I don't want Schneider RIGHT NOW. He hasn't shown that he's "back" yet. Schneider has THREE more years at 6 mil. That's a huge risk to take for a goalie that is still recovering from surgery/bad play.

Reactions: GirardSpinorama

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
If I'm the Flyers, I don't want Schneider RIGHT NOW. He hasn't shown that he's "back" yet. Schneider has THREE more years at 6 mil. That's a huge risk to take for a goalie that is still recovering from surgery/bad play.

Like i said - if Simmonds is moved, it should be a futures type package to a contender. Nashville was talked about earlier in the year, among others. Im not going to bad mouth Schneider because i think hes a good goalie, and in theory acquiring him makes some sense - veteran guy who is already splitting the load with a younger guy. Thats what he'd be resigned to here, if he came. I just dont think we should be moving a piece that will end up being pretty valuable at the deadline (Simmonds) for him, thats all.

njdevil26

I hate avocados
Dec 13, 2006
Clark, NJ
I can say the "source" is definitely a legit person. Not someone who makes a living off rumors. That said, I don't really believe it. I don't see how people would be finding out about potential deals like this before they happen. That's why I posted it as a proposal/speculation to see if fans of NJD/Phi would find something that works.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Makes no sense for either team.

Flyers want futures for Simmonds. NJ would have to take back a goalie.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
This is Cory's 3rd straight year posting a sub .910 SV%. So it's no longer a bad season, it's a trend.

The last 2+ years, Schneider is 45th in SV% for goalies playing at least 50 games posting .906 SV%

As a comparison, Elliot is 37th at .909%. So why not keep him since they are only paying him $2.75 and certainly has not earned a raise.

I don't think any deal makes sense because you can't retain enough to make other options just as equal to TODAY'S Cory.

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
I can say the "source" is definitely a legit person. Not someone who makes a living off rumors. That said, I don't really believe it. I don't see how people would be finding out about potential deals like this before they happen. That's why I posted it as a proposal/speculation to see if fans of NJD/Phi would find something that works.
When did you hear about it? Today?

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009
For a pending free agent set to get a hefty contract, and whose game historically doesn't age well?

I'm a big fan of Simmonds, but I fear he's going to go the way of the Lucic. Buyer beware.

If you want to talk straight up, I'll think about it, but I'm not sweetening **** for the Flyers. The possibility of Cory getting his game together and being their (glaring) missing piece is risky enough for me.

Simmonds is on a great deal, still producing, and can be re-signed or let walk. Schneider has three years left on a deal costing 6 mil for an aging goalie that hasn’t posted above a .908 the last three seasons.

I know Simmomds is a lot less likely to hurt his team long term and a lot more likely to produce now than Schneider is to be the answer in anyone’s net.

You better sweeten that or f*** it just keep your 6 mil sub .900 backup and we’ll keep our 25 to 30 G fan favorite winger on an expiring deal.

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009
This is his 3rd straight year posting a sub .910 SV%. So it's no longer a bad season, it's a trend.

The last 2+ years, Schneider is 45th in SV% for goalies playing at least 50 games posting .906 SV%

As a comparison, Elliot is 37th at .909%. So why not keep him since they are only paying him $2.75 and certainly has not earned a raise.

I don't think any deal makes sense because you can't retain enough to make other options just as equal to TODAY'S Cory.

If we send AMac back on our side and/or there’s salary retention on Schneider I think there’s a deal that could work somewhere.

Monsieur Verdoux

Dec 6, 2016
Finland
The exact reason Devils fans want to trade Mojo is the reason why no other team is going to give up anything of value for him. He's going nowhere.
Maybe, maybe not. If the Devils are sellers in the deadline I can see Shero to trade MoJo away. Of course then he wouldn’t trade Simmonds or any other UFAs to the Devils.

And the point was that the second line LWer can also be Bratt, not MoJo.

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
This is Cory's 3rd straight year posting a sub .910 SV%. So it's no longer a bad season, it's a trend.

Simmonds is on a great deal, still producing, and can be re-signed or let walk. Schneider has three years left on a deal costing 6 mil for an aging goalie that hasn’t posted above a .908 the last three seasons.

I know Simmomds is a lot less likely to hurt his team long term and a lot more likely to produce now than Schneider is to be the answer in anyone’s net.

You better sweeten that or **** it just keep your 6 mil sub .900 backup and we’ll keep our 25 to 30 G fan favorite winger on an expiring deal.

To be fair, Cory started 2017-18 with an 18-6-3 record and a .918 SV%.

However, since December 27, 2017 (Jesus Christ, **** me), he doesn't have a regular season win. He was lights out in our Game 3 win vs. Tampa in the playoffs, but hasn't record a W in a regular season game since that stretch of brilliant goaltending back in late 2017.

After we were eliminated last year, it was reported that Cory was dealing with serious groin issues throughout the latter half of the season. He missed some time due to it, and ultimately had surgery over the summer. Some Devils fans chalk his stretch of bad play to his nagging injury and subsequent recovery... some Devils fans think the guy just flat out sucks. If the Flyers were to acquire him, you'd be gambling on the former... (which, IMO, given his start to last season, isn't that terrible of a gamble)

Just some context...

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
To be fair, Cory started 2017-18 with an 18-6-3 record and a .918 SV%.

However, since December 27, 2017 (Jesus Christ, **** me), he doesn't have a regular season win. He was lights out in our Game 3 win vs. Tampa in the playoffs, but hasn't record a W in a regular season game since that stretch of brilliant goaltending back in late 2017.

After we were eliminated last year, it was reported that Cory was dealing with serious groin issues throughout the latter half of the season. He missed some time due to it, and ultimately had surgery over the summer. Some Devils fans chalk his stretch of bad play to his nagging injury and subsequent recovery... some Devils fans think the guy just flat out sucks. If the Flyers were to acquire him, you'd be gambling on the former... (which, IMO, given his start to last season, isn't that terrible of a gamble)

Just some context...
Last year the Flyers dealt with Elliott, Neuvirth and Stolarz getting hurt.
This year, they have had Elliott and Neuvirth both get hurt again.

I just don't see the Flyers risking a trade for a 6 million dollar goalie who has the same issues as the Flyers sub 3 million dollar goalies.

This year: Elliott .911, Cory .865
last year: Elliott .909, Cory .907
2 years ago: Elliott .910, Cory .908
3 years ago: Elliott .930, Cory .924
4 years ago: Elliott .917, Cory .925
5 years ago: Elliott .922, Cory .921

Reputations are certainly different, in Cory's favour, but Elliott posts very similar(slightly better) numbers than Cory does, and has for awhile. But even say it's a wash....Elliott is paid $2.75 million, Cory 6 million.

So for me, they would need to take AMAc back AND retain 50% on CS AND take back Neuvirth AND then give us the expected return for Simmonds(another positive asset for the future).

CS is just not worth the risk. And I say this as someone who has defended him before and like him.

Side Note: Elliott is playing well lately, he just needs to stay healthy. Last 7 games: .944SV% 1.55 GAA.

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
Last year the Flyers dealt with Elliott, Neuvirth and Stolarz getting hurt.
This year, they have had Elliott and Neuvirth both get hurt again.

I just don't see the Flyers risking a trade for a 6 million dollar goalie who has the same issues as the Flyers sub 3 million dollar goalies.

This year: Elliott .911, Cory .865
last year: Elliott .909, Cory .907
2 years ago: Elliott .910, Cory .908
3 years ago: Elliott .930, Cory .924
4 years ago: Elliott .917, Cory .925
5 years ago: Elliott .922, Cory .921

Reputations are certainly different, in Cory's favour, but Elliott posts very similar(slightly better) numbers than Cory does, and has for awhile. But even say it's a wash....Elliott is paid $2.75 million, Cory 6 million.

So for me, they would need to take AMAc back AND retain 50% on CS AND take back Neuvirth AND then give us the expected return for Simmonds(another positive asset for the future).

CS is just not worth the risk. And I say this as someone who has defended him before and like him.

That's ****ing insane :laugh:

Again, for a pending free agent set to get a big contract, and whose game historically ages poorly? Miss me with that. And I'm a big fan of Simmonds.

I don't blame you, by the way, for having that opinion. The Flyers are much better off trading Simmonds for futures, if they even move him at all.

Reactions: BernieParent

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
That's ****ing insane :laugh:

Again, for a pending free agent set to get a big contract, and whose game historically ages poorly? Miss me with that. And I'm a big fan of Simmonds.

I don't blame you, by the way, for having that opinion. The Flyers are much better off trading Simmonds for futures, if they even move him at all.
Well it just comes down to right now, CS is a cap dump TO THE FLYERS because they can get the same results for $2.75 million. To NJ, he isn't a cap dump and they can hold on to him and hope he regains his form from years ago.

Reactions: Ruck Over

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad