Confirmed with Link: Schmaltz signed. 2 year deal.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
Good deal for the team. I guess from the two-way deal the first year, the plan is to send him back down for at least a portion of the time this year. Next year, when we lose Gunnarsson/JBO next year, he will be more full-time in the NHL. I have doubts he will clear waivers though so this might end up a real good contract for some other team. I think he is a solid 3rd pairing.PP2 guy right now for somebody.

Reactions: The Note in MI

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
Good deal for the team. I guess from the two-way deal the first year, the plan is to send him back down for at least a portion of the time this year. Next year, when we lose Gunnarsson/JBO next year, he will be more full-time in the NHL. I have doubts he will clear waivers though so this might end up a real good contract for some other team. I think he is a solid 3rd pairing.PP2 guy right now for somebody.
Purely speculation on my part, but I feel like one of the points of adding the second year on a 1-way deal is to make his contract less attractive to a waiver claim, should we need to send him down based purely on a numbers.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
Purely speculation on my part, but I feel like one of the points of adding the second year on a 1-way deal is to make his contract less attractive to a waiver claim, should we need to send him down based purely on a numbers.

How is does that make him less attractive? The second year is cheap. And any team that claims him for waivers wants him on the NHL squad, so the 1-way deal won't put them off. If you like him on your NHL squad this year at $700k, chances are you won't mind him next year either for the same terms.I guess maybe it would bother someone picking him up as a temp injury replacement, but then you just waive him again and he'll go back to the Blues farm system (or get picked up)

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
A team would be crazy to not take that.

If the Blues even think about sending Schmaltz down again, I hope he is claimed or traded for his own sake.

"Hey guys I just turned 25, can I get a chance in the NHL yet?"

"Nope, you need 1 more year in the AHL, Jordan!"

Just stupid.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
Would this make Gunny more likely to be traded, or does it make no difference?

A mid-to-bottom pairing veteran D getting paid just under $3M and coming off surgery isn't exactly a hot commodity. I'd say Gunnarsson is near untradeable on his own right now. Sbisa, Enstrom and Emelin can all be had for half the salary and no assets spent in trade.

TruBlu

Feb 7, 2016
Clarification about the waiver process since he isn't yet 25? Is it possible they expect one of JBo or Gunnar to start the season and keep him down in the AHL? The waivers wouldn't apply then unless he was brought up and then they tried to send him back down, right?

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
He'll have to pass thru waivers in October if he's not going to be on the Blues roster to start the season.

I think he' a guy the Flyers would consider claiming if they had another injury on D.

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
Clarification about the waiver process since he isn't yet 25? Is it possible they expect one of JBo or Gunnar to start the season and keep him down in the AHL? The waivers wouldn't apply then unless he was brought up and then they tried to send him back down, right?

No, Schmaltz is now waiver eligible.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
Great contract for Blues.

Code:
Ed - Pietro
Dunn - Parayko
Gunnar/Jbo - Bortuzzo/Jbo

Mikkola/Walman - Schmaltz

That d-core is DEEP and STRONG :bb:

anigif_enhanced-buzz-12599-1334683722-8.gif

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007

Seems like many disagree but I agree with this. I mean, it’s certainly no poison pill but if a team is viewing JS as a bubble guy, they 1. may not want to take a guy that has a 2 year deal (as opposed to other guys on 1 year deals or any PTO options that don’t have a contract yet) and 2. with year 2 being one-way that’d be another slight deterance for a team not sure they’d want to commit to JS that sort of $. JS hasn’t really proven he can be a full-time NHLer yet.

So it’s a small deterance but generally I agree with Mook.

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
Everyone who isn't waiver exempt (this would now include Schmaltz) has to clear waivers to be sent to the AHL/ECHL even at the start of the season. If he is sent down, it is most likely to be at this time since everyone else is trying to get guys through, but it is still risky. If someone wants him, they can claim him and waive another player on their roster to send them down.

If all 8 guys are healthy at the start of the season, I would expect Gunnarsson to be waived and either sent to San Antonio to play or to stay behind in STL until a trade is worked out. If we have one or more players still not quite right, I would expect them to be on IR until something works itself out.

If you send Nolan and Sundqvist to the AHL and add Thomas to the roster currently showing on CapFriendly, that would leave us with 14F/8D/2G and about $40,679 in cap space. This roster would assume that one of the D is on regular IR. If not, someone has to get waived to send them down, and my guess is that it would be Schmaltz if he doesn't look like a solid NHL option, and Gunnarsson if Schmaltz does. Sending down Gunnarsson instead of Schmaltz would save an additional $325,000 in cap space and, in my opinion, we would lose a player to waivers that would hurt us less.

Reactions: Majorityof1

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida

Further clarification on waivers: The waiver eligibility rules are confusing. Age only matters as to when you sign your first NHL contract. Some players may be waiver eligible at 24, others may not depending on when they signed their ELC and how many games they have played. The players age when they sign their ELC sets the amount of time they are waiver-exempt. If you sign it at 18, you are exempt for more years than if you sign it at 22. Players can become eligible at an earlier age if they play in a certain number of NHL games, again on a weird sliding scale depending on what age you sign the ELC. The following is a quick run down:

sign when 18-21 yo: Eligible at 23, or 160 NHL games
sign when 21 yo: Eligible at 24, or 80 NHL games
sign when 22 yo: Eligible at 25, or 70 NHL games
sign when 23 or 24: Eligible at 26, or 60 NHL games
sign when 25+ yo: Only exempt for one year, regardless of NHL games

If that isn't confusing enough, there is a totally different scale for goalies as well as other modifiers if 18-19 year olds play 11 or more games. Its best just to look it up on cap friendly which should tell you, and has a calculator where you can look up how many games/years a player has til waiver eligible.

Long story short, Schmaltz signed at 21 so he got 3 years or 80 games of exempt status, whichever was less. He has 3 years under his belt, so he is no longer exempt. And like @MissouriMook said, every one who is waiver eligible has to be waived at the start of the year. EA video games screwed people up with this one too, as you can just drop anybody to the AHL in the pre-season. without waivers. The Actual NHL works differently. Few players claimed as teams are trying to get under the roster limit not add players. But a team like Ottawa who wants to run 10 rookies this year, may think grabbing a $700k 24 year old would be a good idea.

ezcreepin

Dec 5, 2016
A mid-to-bottom pairing veteran D getting paid just under $3M and coming off surgery isn't exactly a hot commodity. I'd say Gunnarsson is near untradeable on his own right now. Sbisa, Enstrom and Emelin can all be had for half the salary and no assets spent in trade.
There are A LOT of dumb gms in the league

wannabebluesplayer

Apr 16, 2012
I would much rather see Gunnarsson or Bouwmeester gone by end of training camp then losing Schmaltz, possibly for nothing. He seems like a great 3rd pairing guy for Bortuzzo, Gunnarsson, or Bouwmeester. He'd be able to step in on the PP and might work his way up to being a solid #3-5 D in this league.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad