Schiefele vs Tavares: who would you rather have now

Scheifele vs Tavares: Who would you rather have on your team

• Total voters

DannyGallivan

Your world frightens and confuses me
Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
Which of these two superstars would you rather have in your quest for the Cup. The underrated Mark Scheifele who has become a superstar the past couple of years, or John Tavares, who always seems to be in the conversation for Hart Trophy just before the start of each season.

DannyGallivan

Your world frightens and confuses me
Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
Since I started this thread, and am obviously a Jets fan, it should be no surprise that I went with Scheifele. When you look at the past couple of years, perhaps Scheifele should get more credit from around the league. He produced at an amazing rate during the playoffs, and is a point per game player during the regular season. Plus, he's only just entering his prime years. Should he be in the Hart prediction conversation for next year?

Meanwhile, John Tavares' excellence has been relatively constant, and in a new setting next year he could blossom into the 100 point player has has been predicted to be.

Reactions: Vali Maki Sushi

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
I think JT is a better player but you can't pass up Scheifele's contract

This. I think i'd still give a slight preference to Tavares in a vacuum...but factoring in what his contract is going to be compared to Scheifele, and the age difference...it's close enough that i tip it to Scheifele pretty comfortably.

Reactions: Vali Maki Sushi

StatisticsAddict99

Feb 24, 2017
I feel some people will be swayed because they think there team might have a chance at picking Tavares up.

Scheifele is a couple years younger, plays more physical, plays a better defensive game, is a much better skater and is equally as effective at overall scoring(some might make the argument even slightly better at scoring with the past two, three seasons and his recent playoff run) and most of all he has the best contract in the league as of today.

I think you have to be crazy to pass up on Scheifele if you have the option to pick him up between him and Tavares.

Last edited:
Reactions: KingTrouty

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012
Huh. It is a tough call for me but I would have bet good money that JT was winning the poll.

Edit: I see Scheife's contract is factoring big here.

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
Scheifele has actually outproduced Tavares from a PPG basis the last 3 seasons combined. He has had more help by far no question, but at the same time Tavares also plays in a free style system that allows anyone to be offensive. Even if Scheifele is worse than Tavares, their contracts tip the scale to Scheifele's favour by far.

Reactions: KingTrouty

Ryan Michaels

Mar 21, 2017
Schiefele easily, if this thread was created because Schiefele is underrated(as stated) I dont really think he is, not here at least, the media definitely focuses more on Tavares just because he's been a superstar for so long which is a level of respect Schiefele will earn with time.

Spirit of 67

Nov 25, 2016
Aurora, On.
I think this was the season where Scheifele passed JT on the Best Player chart.

And he has the better contract.

Quite honestly, I'm surprised this is this close.

Thenameless

Apr 29, 2014
Tavares. Respect to Scheifele - I think he's underrated. But, I think Tavares is still a bit better; more of a threat to win a scoring title in the right situation.

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
I really wish polls (all of them, not just this one) would specify if contracts are factored in. Because you have people answering different questions otherwise.

Tavares is the better player, but I'd take Scheifele on his deal against what I suspect JT is going to get.

Weezeric

Jan 27, 2015
Ignoring contract and hockey skill I went with schiefele for his baby blues

kerrabria

May 3, 2018
Tavares lies somewhere between the 5th - 9th best center in the league. Scheifele lies somewhere between the 10th - 13th best center in the league. In a vacuum it should be Tavares easily.

However, Tavares is going to get paid like as if he's the 1st - 3rd best center in the league. Scheifele is paid like a 1b C. Bringing contracts into it, it should be Scheifele easily.

Seems pretty cut and dry to me.

Snowman

Oct 12, 2007
Texas
Even leaving contracts out, it still has to be Scheifele. Younger and on the rise. People put far to much emphasis on the players name and draft hype.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad