Injury Report: Schenn to IR; Blais recalled; Maroon out rest of road trip

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
Reactions: EastonBlues22

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Not expecting anything from Blais, but he at least will hit guys with those 2 out. Even though I'd rather see Soshnikov in the lineup than him.

Zamadoo

Hail to the CHIEF
Apr 4, 2013
Need to stop ****ting on Maroon so much. Dude is making 1.7m and plays hard. He's being misused just like the rest of the roster is.

I will at least concede that Hitch could've made him productive.

blueper

Mar 29, 2012
According to stltoday Schenn could play tomorrow night. They are reporting that he is practicing with the team and he's not ruled out tomorrow yet. If he plays, Sosh and Blais would both be scratched most likely.

blueper

Mar 29, 2012
Need to stop ****ting on Maroon so much. Dude is making 1.7m and plays hard. He's being misused just like the rest of the roster is.

It's hard to tell if he's playing hard because he is struggling so much to skate. I'm wondering if the "upper body" injury involves his back again. He had surgery on a herniated disc in May. I wonder how much his back is restricting him.
I think he has looked really bad ... mainly because he is moving so slowly. A bad back would explain what had appeared to me to be a lack of intensity. Remember when he dropped his gloves in the first Wild game and then just turned his back on Foligno and waited for the refs to step in? He might be protecting an injury. Regardless, he is not helping the Blues IMO.

Reactions: Blueston

Halak Ness Monster

Nov 11, 2010
St. Louis, MO
Not expecting anything from Blais, but he at least will hit guys with those 2 out. Even though I'd rather see Soshnikov in the lineup than him.

Yeah Blais looked completely unimpressive again this year.

I think his preseason success the last 2 years pretty much boils down to him caring vs. vets not caring so much. Then when the season starts and vets start caring, he's completely outplayed. Happens to a lot of guys in all sports.

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
According to stltoday Schenn could play tomorrow night. They are reporting that he is practicing with the team and he's not ruled out tomorrow yet. If he plays, Sosh and Blais would both be scratched most likely.
Interesting. Then I'm trying to understand why they put Schenn on IR retroactively instead of just putting Maroon on IR, especially if they think Maroon is injured to the point he needs to go back to St. Louis for evaluation. Sure, IR would mean an automatic 7 days and then he'd have to miss the Kings and Predators games, but as it is you're already ruling him out for 4 days; if he's hurt enough you don't want him playing the next 2 games do you really want to rush him back into the lineup for those next 2 games? Just put him on IR, let him try to get healed, get him back in for Preds II and then the Jets the night after.

[Sure, nothing hurts putting Schenn on IR retroactively and then putting Maroon on IR / taking Schenn off; you end up in the same spot. It's one of those "it's not a logical set of moves to me" and that gnaws at me. Don't judge me for this. You'll have plenty other stuff to judge me on.]

And, if you think Schenn is going to be ready then just leave Blais in the minors, only pay one guy to be in the press box instead of two, and try saving a little bit of cap space for once.

Reactions: mk80

Stupendous Yappi

Idiot Control Now!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
Doesn't IR grant the team some sort of benefit? Like cap or something?
I think it just frees up the roster spot, but the salary still counts vs the Cap (unless its on LTIR, which this isn't). There are other posters here who are more savvy about this stuff than me, but that's how I understand it.

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
Doesn't IR grant the team some sort of benefit? Like cap or something?
IR does not give cap relief. LTIR does, but it's not necessarily full cap relief; it depends on how close the team is to the cap when LTIR is invoked.

IR simply opens up a spot on the active roster. (Very short explanation, but it's enough to go with for now.)

m1a2lt

Jul 13, 2009
Interesting. Then I'm trying to understand why they put Schenn on IR retroactively instead of just putting Maroon on IR, especially if they think Maroon is injured to the point he needs to go back to St. Louis for evaluation. Sure, IR would mean an automatic 7 days and then he'd have to miss the Kings and Predators games, but as it is you're already ruling him out for 4 days; if he's hurt enough you don't want him playing the next 2 games do you really want to rush him back into the lineup for those next 2 games? Just put him on IR, let him try to get healed, get him back in for Preds II and then the Jets the night after.

[Sure, nothing hurts putting Schenn on IR retroactively and then putting Maroon on IR / taking Schenn off; you end up in the same spot. It's one of those "it's not a logical set of moves to me" and that gnaws at me. Don't judge me for this. You'll have plenty other stuff to judge me on.]

And, if you think Schenn is going to be ready then just leave Blais in the minors, only pay one guy to be in the press box instead of two, and try saving a little bit of cap space for once.

Only thing I could think of is that insurance picks up at least a portion of the salary if on IR/LITR.

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
Only thing I could think of is that insurance picks up at least a portion of the salary if on IR/LITR.
Doesn't matter if it's IR or LTIR. The player has to miss so many games before insurance kicks in, and that's usually at least 20 games [but much more likely 30]. Plus, the contract has to be one of those that are insurable [Schenn's probably is] and the injury has to be something that isn't excluded [like say Fabbri's knees or Bouwmeester's hip probably are].

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX

Perhaps they were trying to buy time? Putting Schenn on IR allowed them to call up Blais and get him to Vegas ahead of Maroon seeing dr. in St. Louis and they were waiting another day to see on Maroon before ruling him out of extra games?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad