Scheduling complaints

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
How is that the Oilers have played the second most games in the league already and STILL have a crazy stretch coming up of something like 12 games in 21 nights?

WTF kind of scheduling is this? Will other teams actually catch up in GP or are we slated to actually play a full 82 game schedule? :sarcasm:

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
No issues with schedule here..
Keep em coming!

We just played 7 straight at home, 4 vs OTT.. Schedule has been great.

Reactions: Aerchon

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
No issues with schedule here..
Keep em coming!

We just played 7 straight at home, 4 vs OTT.. Schedule has been great.
Just wait till the team is completely bagged by the end of March and taking schedule losses because of it. Take a look at the upcoming schedule, it’s actually ridiculous considering we are already second in GP.

Reactions: oilers'72

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
It seems like the league was intentionally trying to make life hard for the North Division as some kind of way to even things up for the USA divisions. All the flexibility in the world to do whatever they wanted with each arena that was not really holding any other events and they come up with these trash schedules.

There is really no excuse to not have every B2B being with the same 2 teams. No excuse to not be able to have an equal amount of B2B games for every team and have every team have the same amount of rest. Was the easiest schedule to ever have to come up with. They made it trash on purpose. Guess we could always fake a covid scare if we want to stick it to the league and get some rest :)

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Just wait till the team is completely bagged by the end of March and taking schedule losses because of it. Take a look at the upcoming schedule, it’s actually ridiculous considering we are already second in GP.
Just checked a couple other teams and CGY. Its this crazy for all.
We got a 5 day gap between games in late april so maybe things could have been a bit more spread around. Otherwise its as hectic as all other teams.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Just checked a couple other teams and CGY. Its this crazy for all.
We got a 5 day gap between games in late april so maybe things could have been a bit more spread around. Otherwise its as hectic as all other teams.
I think we get shafted tbh. Our 5 day break comes at the very end of the regular season.

DropTheGloves

Sep 18, 2020
The sad truth is that it’s because we, along with the rest of the Canadian teams, have been relatively healthy. I think the league packed it in like this to handle the inevitable COVID problems, but now it almost feels like the North is being punished for not living in outbreak zones.

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
The break being at the end of the season could be a good thing, though. The team can get some rest before the final seven games heading into the playoffs. They just need to keep up the big cushion they have on 5th place right now.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
I thought we have had the least back to backs in the league to date? Our schedule seemed really good to me.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
I thought we have had the least back to backs in the league to date? Our schedule seemed really good to me.

I believe we're going to end up with the most B2B in the division by the end of April. Maybe I read it wrong but I think that's what I read.

Rpenny

Feb 23, 2019
How is that the Oilers have played the second most games in the league already and STILL have a crazy stretch coming up of something like 12 games in 21 nights?

WTF kind of scheduling is this? Will other teams actually catch up in GP or are we slated to actually play a full 82 game schedule? :sarcasm:

all teams will go through these stretches and both Vancouver and Ottawa in our division have played one more game. In last nights PGT someone asked what we would find to complain about and we found it

Reactions: Drivesaitl

Porkleaker

Mar 19, 2017
Onterrible
all teams will go through these stretches and both Vancouver and Ottawa in our division have played one more game. In last nights PGT someone asked what we would find to complain about and we found it

That and all the 3 point games the other idiot teams keep having. This year more than ever, loser points are so loathsome.

yukoner88

Dec 16, 2009
Dawson City, YT

By that time our cushion above the playoff cutoff line will be large enough it won't matter anymore ;)

Besides, this is half the point of having 8 or 9 NHL calibre defensemen in rotation along with the extra forwards and a 3rd goalie.

It also means the schedule will be lighter getting closer to the playoffs, making us more rested n ready to go :banana: (in theory, haven't had chance to check the schedule down the stretch)

The depth will really prove its worth by then

Delicious Pancakes

Top Pocket Find
Apr 23, 2012
Home
I believe we're going to end up with the most B2B in the division by the end of April. Maybe I read it wrong but I think that's what I read.

I posted this yesterday in the Around the League thread. Edmonton and Montreal have the worst of the B2B's this year.

North Division second game of back-to-backs vs. rested opponent:

March 12 - May 8:
5 - Edmonton
3 - Ottawa
2 - Calgary, Montreal, Toronto
1 - Vancouver, Winnipeg

2021 Total:
6 - Edmonton - OTT, VAN, TOR, VAN, CGY, CGY - (first game was an 8-5 win against Ottawa)
5 - Ottawa - MTL, EDM, VAN, TOR, TOR - (first 2 have been losses)
5 - Montreal - EDM, OTT, CGY, WPG, OTT - (first 3 have been losses)
4 - Calgary - OTT, OTT, MTL, VAN - (first 2 have been losses to Ottawa :sarcasm:)
3 - Winnipeg - OTT, EDM, TOR - (first was OT win against Ottawa, second was loss to Edmonton)
2 - Toronto - CGY, OTT
1 - Vancouver - WPG

Most games rested vs. opponent on second game of back-to-backs:
7 - Ottawa
4 - Calgary, Toronto, Vancouver
3 - Edmonton
2 - Montreal, Winnipeg

+/- Games rested vs. opponent on second game of back-to-backs/Second game of back-to-backs vs. rested opponent
-3 : Edmonton, Montreal
-1 : Winnipeg
0 : Calgary
+2: Ottawa, Toronto
+3: Vancouver

Must be nice to have a cushy schedule. The Oilers don't have any games left where they're rested and playing against an opponent on the second half of a back-to-back, they only have back-to-backs against rested opponents (also one game against Winnipeg next week where both teams are on the second of back-to-backs).

Gregsky99

Dec 16, 2012
I think we get shafted tbh. Our 5 day break comes at the very end of the regular season.
Why is that a bad thing? You’re saying we get 5 days off to rest and recover from injuries or whatever while other teams could get injured at the end of the year and miss the first 1-3 games in the playoffs. 5 days isn’t going to slow a team down either so not like we’ll be rusty

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
The only reason our division has played more games than others is due to the pandemic messing with them for a couple weeks. Personally, I love the schedule. Seeing the team play nearly every 2nd night is great, and they have a big expanded roster to help with the compactness. And before the woe to me starts, Vancouver has played more than us. And having a little break before playoffs to rest and prepare - how is that a bad thing? Meanwhile Dallas and others will be beating their brains out in the last couple weeks, making up missed games.

Too bad no one else in the league will be playing 52 games as well.:sarcasm:

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Only one poster mentioned what effect Covid has had on the sehedule. The Oilers have only played 2.7 games more than the mean. But this difference would be explained entirely by the amount of games that have been cancelled and not yet played.

NHL schedule changes 2021: List of games postponed, rescheduled because of COVID-19 | Sporting News

The one legitimate unfair artifact in the schedule is a club being assigned their 5 day "break" at the end of the season. Clearly a break is not had if it occurs at the end of the season, and does not provide days off for the club during the season when its needed.

I'm not gonna spin that one into a positive because its not clear it is one. Lots of times teams that have a rest before playoffs, or in past playoff seeding, a bye, do not necessarily benefit from the rest. Often times this can make a club sluggish, have trouble getting back in swing, etc. For a club with the lack of forward and goaltending depth of the Oilers the 5 day break at the end impacts us more adversely then it would most clubs. Seems like the Oilers could have used a break before the Leafs series. They could use one right now.

I mean I love the team is on a 4 game winning streak and McDrai are flyng but its inevitable that a stumble occurs. You can't keep playing better than your opponent in this many games closely arranged.

So theres a two pronged cost to the scheduled 5 days off at end of season. Grabbing some W's that we might otherwise have had during season, and making us start cold for playoffs. Anyway you look at it the NHL giving the Oilers the break at the end, that was a short straw, and its interesting it falls on the Oilers. Who else has their break at end of season?

HockeyGuy1964

Oct 7, 2013

Don't worry about it.

This will just make some posters happy & we'll get a lot more traffic because of it.

HockeyGuy1964

Oct 7, 2013

Guilty as charged.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad