schedule Quirk

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Can anyone explain why they would have NY Islanders @ Buffalo for Friday April 26 and not have this on Saturday April 27 when the most teams close?

It appears the Arena doesn't have a scheduling conflict at this time.

My feeling is because tentatively a lacrosse playoff game would happen on Saturday. Couldn't they just do it on Sunday?

Would they move the game to Saturday if they could?

Squantosawuss

Dec 10, 2010
B-lo
Can anyone explain why they would have NY Islanders @ Buffalo for Friday April 26 and not have this on Saturday April 27 when the most teams close?

My feeling is because tentatively a lacrosse playoff game would happen on Saturday. Couldn't they just do it on Sunday?

Do all teams have to play their last game on the same day? They don't all have their first game on the same day.

Bones Malone

Game Player
Oct 22, 2010
Buffalo

I believe that's when locker room clean out day is scheduled. Just because there isn't a concert or sporting event doesn't mean the arena is sitting doing nothing...jeesh :sarcasm:

Amerksonian

Feb 28, 2007
Rochester, NY
Why exactly does it matter?

Can't speak for NHL, but in some other leagues the fact that teams play their last games simultaneously makes it a bit more difficult to do matchup/playoff calculations. Such activity could be more common in e.g. olympic hockey (denverpost.com). :naughty:

With NHL rewarding OT loss with 1 point it could possibly allow some passively played games when opposing teams both need only that 1 point for making the playoffs/division title/conference title. It's not as easy to play this type of game if everyone still has a game left to play on the same day.

I assume in this case NHL just didn't want to have the friday without any games while stacking all the games on Saturday, to maximize viewers.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
I see the last 1/2 playoff spot(s) up for grabs going into the final game.

because of 15 teams one team cant play. The rest can and should.

i look at this similar to world cup soccer schedules when the final games are designed to happen at the same time for compitititve reasons.

If you think of the battle as being 2 playoff spots for the 3 NYC teams NYI play at Buffalo and NJ and NYR play each other. If the islanders are 1 pt back and NJ and NYR are in 7th and 8th...if the islanders lose first to Buffalo then NJ and NYR are in so they arent necessarily trying to win ---they may be trying to lose for playoff matchups. Had the islander won then they have a playoff spot to fight for. Thus these two games should happen at the same time.

SackTastic

Mar 25, 2011
None of that crap matters.

You play your games. You play them when they're scheduled.

Mike McDermott

blah blah blah
Apr 23, 2006
Lockport
I see the last 1/2 playoff spot(s) up for grabs going into the final game.

because of 15 teams one team cant play. The rest can and should.

i look at this similar to world cup soccer schedules when the final games are designed to happen at the same time for compitititve reasons.

If you think of the battle as being 2 playoff spots for the 3 NYC teams NYI play at Buffalo and NJ and NYR play each other. If the islanders are 1 pt back and NJ and NYR are in 7th and 8th...if the islanders lose first to Buffalo then NJ and NYR are in so they arent necessarily trying to win ---they may be trying to lose for playoff matchups. Had the islander won then they have a playoff spot to fight for. Thus these two games should happen at the same time.

So the nhl is supposed to know when they schedule who's going to be fighting for the final playoff spots and schedule them at the same time?

As long as I've been a hockey fan I can't remember a season where every team played the last day of the season. Heck it is rare that all teams play on a single day any point in the season.

misterchainsaw

Preparing PHASE TWO!
Nov 3, 2005
Rochester, NY
So the nhl is supposed to know when they schedule who's going to be fighting for the final playoff spots and schedule them at the same time?

As long as I've been a hockey fan I can't remember a season where every team played the last day of the season. Heck it is rare that all teams play on a single day any point in the season.
Actually the whole league did play on the last day last season. I didn't remember that either, but it also seems to be the exception.

I feel like the majority of the time the season ends on a weekend, but the majority of games are played on Saturday and the season ends on Sunday with only 4 or 5 games.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad