Schedule announcement

TPO

Jun 26, 2016
Thanks for the reply. Hopefully not too long to wait then!

stars33

Jan 29, 2011
New York
I am interested in the division alignment assuming Beijing goes into the Chernyshev division who will be moved. And will the KHL demote a team. Yugra or Novokuznetsk would be my likely candidates.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
I am interested in the division alignment assuming Beijing goes into the Chernyshev division who will be moved. And will the KHL demote a team. Yugra or Novokuznetsk would be my likely candidates.

There will be no demotions.

hansomreiste

Sep 23, 2015
Ankara
Can someone remind me when the first regular season game is, is it August?

On August 22, according to this official statement released by KHL,

http://en.khl.ru/news/2016/03/24/242303.html

The regular season will begin on the 22nd of August and finish on the 18th of February. The latest possible date for the end of the Gagarin Cup final series (i.e. in the event of the series running to seven games) is the 20th of April, a full two weeks before the start of the 2017 IIHF World Championships in France and Germany.

TPO

Jun 26, 2016
The KHL doesn't seem like the most organised of leagues. They don't seem to know who is going to be in the league, the don't know when the schedule will be announced etc.

You'd have thought with the clubs being spread across the world, they'd get the fixtures out really early to allow fans to make travel arrangements.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
The KHL doesn't seem like the most organised of leagues. They don't seem to know who is going to be in the league, the don't know when the schedule will be announced etc.

You'd have thought with the clubs being spread across the world, they'd get the fixtures out really early to allow fans to make travel arrangements.

You seem to be pretty biased. There is a good chunk of time until the next season. The teams are anounced the schedule will be anounced on 15th July sharp. What's your problem with that? If you'd even browse this board you'd know all the dates.

If you make travel arrangements two years in anvance that shouldn't be KHL's concern I think.

TPO

Jun 26, 2016
You seem to be pretty biased. There is a good chunk of time until the next season. The teams are anounced the schedule will be anounced on 15th July sharp. What's your problem with that? If you'd even browse this board you'd know all the dates.

If you make travel arrangements two years in anvance that shouldn't be KHL's concern I think.

Biased? Biased towards what?

I know that rough dates but I don't know when teams are playing at home or away. Do you? If so, why do we need to wait on an schedule?

Who mentioned booking two years in advance? I was looking at booking two months in advance.

ForsbergForever

May 19, 2004
I don't know why the KHL insists on starting the season in August, its absolutely the oddest thing i've ever heard of for a hockey league. Are they trying to somehow get a few months of play in before the NHL starts? I'd really be interested to hear the motivation behind this.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
I don't know why the KHL insists on starting the season in August, its absolutely the oddest thing i've ever heard of for a hockey league. Are they trying to somehow get a few months of play in before the NHL starts? I'd really be interested to hear the motivation behind this.

To give the national team enough preparation time for the Worlds and because their regular season is too long for European standards.

kulenova seka

To give the national team enough preparation time for the Worlds and because their regular season is too long for European standards.

Personally, I don't like it. Last season summer was so hot and long in Croatia, and it is odd going to the hockey game with outside temperature being 33 celzius.

hansomreiste

Sep 23, 2015
Ankara
For me, this is something I absolutely love.

I second that. Hockey may be a "winter sport" when you're the one who is playing with friends on frozen pond but modern day competitive hockey is just a profit-oriented industry. Moreover, there is this thing called Knowledge Day by Russians and most ex-USSR republics, which marks the traditional day for the school to start, on September 1. Remember the times you studied: for most families, the year or "working season" began the moment you started packing your bag for school. So I see nothing wrong with season beginning in late August, it actually makes me feel more alive because "these long and boring, exceptionally hot, stupid summer where everyone's just looking after swimming or sleeping is gone", yeah.

When Stanley Cup ended this year, it was mid-June. Think about that - this is what happens when you start later than August. Personally, I'd pick August over June to watch hockey - to me, June is more like summer than August. June & July are "dead months" in terms of sports events in football, hockey and mostly basketball. Most people (and students) go on vacations. However, in August, people are usually back at their homes and business.

The only thing I hate about KHL schedule is those EHT breaks. I would probably care about them if I was Czech, Swedish, Finnish or Russian but at the moment they simply mean nothing for me other than taking my KHL games away. But anyways, as Jaqen H'ghar would probably say, a man needs breaks.

Go Donbass

Sep 27, 2013
Vinnitsa, Ukraine
When Stanley Cup ended this year, it was mid-June. Think about that - this is what happens when you start later than August. Personally, I'd pick August over June to watch hockey - to me, June is more like summer than August. June & July are "dead months" in terms of sports events in football, hockey and mostly basketball. Most people (and students) go on vacations. However, in August, people are usually back at their homes and business.

[/I]

I'm not a huge fan of the August start either, but I agree, I'd rather have an August start and an April finish, than a later start and a June finish. The first games of the season are glorified pre-season games anyways, so who cares if they have a "winter" feel or not? The championship final of a winter sport should not be played when I can smell people barbecuing and hear kids playing in sprinklers.

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010

So that the Gagarin Cup can be awarded before the World Championships start. The KHL recognizes that its member nations all participate and place great emphasis on the World Championships.

IamherefortheFinn

ObsessedWithTheLion
May 24, 2015
Trio Areena
Personally, I don't like it. Last season summer was so hot and long in Croatia, and it is odd going to the hockey game with outside temperature being 33 celzius.

Last season i went to a practice game against Ska wearing a T-shirt. And this is Finland we are talking about. it was really odd.

But i have actually started to like the idea that the KHL starts early and the NHL season lasts so long. That way there is only a couple of months without hockey in a year. And i can easily fill those weeks with holiday activities and watching Le Tour de France and other sports (this year for example the Euro football and track and field).

"these long and boring, exceptionally hot, stupid summer where everyone's just looking after swimming or sleeping is gone"

Just speak for yourself :laugh:

We are lucky for having over 15 C over here...

hansomreiste

Sep 23, 2015
Ankara
Just realized that Riga starts with a 6-game away tour. Also, is there any particular reason for Kunlun's weird schedule? From August 22 to September 10, which is 20 days, they have only two games to play. However, starting from September 10, they almost never have two days to rest with games coming one after another. Maybe this is something about the arena but their second game, due to be played on September 5 against Admiral is at home. If the arena was the case, I think they would have played first five or six games away, like Riga (though I guess Riga's fixture is just unlucky, I am not sure if it involves anything).

Yeah, KHL teams play 60 games in a limited amount of time and hockey clubs are used to playing games frequently but when regular season is not so long, I don't understand the reason for such a huge gap - 2 games in 20 days... Wow.

ult

Sep 21, 2009
Just realized that Riga starts with a 6-game away tour. Also, is there any particular reason for Kunlun's weird schedule? From August 22 to September 10, which is 20 days, they have only two games to play. However, starting from September 10, they almost never have two days to rest with games coming one after another. Maybe this is something about the arena but their second game, due to be played on September 5 against Admiral is at home. If the arena was the case, I think they would have played first five or six games away, like Riga (though I guess Riga's fixture is just unlucky, I am not sure if it involves anything).

They start later because they are a new team, and obviously are short for time to form a roster, and KHL gave them 1 home game and a large gap till the second home game, so that they could fix all those issues that will surely surface after the first real hockey game for that arena.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad