Post-Game Talk: SCF Game 2: Fun with numbers (advanced stats)

ScottieDsntKnow

Your milkshake: I drink it
Dec 12, 2004
O'Fallon, IL
Corsi (5-on5, close)

Blues with "good" game (Corsi over 50): Everybody besides Bozak, Barbashev, Fabbri, Bortuzzo
Blues with "standout "game (CRel% over 10 and Corsi over 50): Schwartz, Petro, Tarasenko, Schenn, JayBo

Bruins with "good" game: Grzelcyk, Krug, Heinen
Bruins with "standout" game: Grzelcyk, Krug, Heinen

Observations: As usual, advanced stats do not tell the whole story. For example, I thought Bortuzzo has a fantastic game. However, he was out there for 6 Blues shots for and 13 shots against. I also thought Parayko has a stand-out defensive game and he's rated behind Edmundson.

Overall, it's an exact opposite script of Game 1 where the Blues absolutely dominated and deserved the win.

Heat map for the game

20182019-30412-5v5.png

Observations: DEFEND THE FRONT OF YOUR NET, BOYS.

xGF % REL best players for team:

Blues: Schwartz, Schenn, JayBo, Tarasenko, Petro
Bruins: Krug, Carlo

Observation: Based on this advanced statistic, the Blues were even more dominate (compared to Corsi). However, it backs up Corsi and shows that our top players dominated and our Captain brought it last night and had arguably his best game of the playoffs.

As always, advanced statistics tell only a portion of the story. This part however shows the Blues were rightful winners of game 2.

PLAY GLORIA!

Reference: St Louis Blues @ Boston Bruins, 2019-05-29

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
Great post. Like I did after game 1, I'll had some team stats from Natural Stat Trick because they demonstrate how much we controlled this game.

At 5 on 5, High Danger Chances were 11-8 in our favor and Scoring Chances were 25-16 Blues. 5 on 5 Expected Goals were 2.09 to 1.23 for us.

All situations, we actually improved on those margins despite spending much less time on the PP. We won High Danger Chances 15-10 and won the Scoring Chances battle 31-22. Overall, Expected Goals were 2.88-1.86.

Our team Corsi For percentage was over 58% for the game. All of this combined demonstrates that we controlled possession AND generated more quality chances.

But the most impressive takeaway for me was how much we pulled away in the 3rd period at 5 on 5. In the 3rd period and OT combined, High Danger Chances were 6-1 Blues, Scoring Chances were 14-4 and our Corsi For percentage was 69%.

St Louis Blues @ Boston Bruins, 2019-05-29

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad