SCF Game 1 | Predators vs. Penguins | Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rich Nixon

No Prior Knowledge of "Flyers"
Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne
that wasn't a bad game by rinne, it was beyond abysmal, i think he's playing scared and that is not good for a goalie

Oh come on, objectively, it was not. A no-chancer, a bad bounce, a good shot he faced cold after 37 minutes. The only thing that could be seen was a goal he allowed...against Malkin on a 5 on 3.

There just wasn't a sample to judge Rinne's game tonight from.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Over the past two years, seven, and into an eighth series, Lundqvist, Holtby (twice), Bob and now Rinne all have coincidentally had bad playoffs and got lit up like Christmas trees. That is some series of bad luck isn't it? And how lucky are the Pens, catching them all when they are having off series?

[penshater] Pretty lucky but only because they have the refs and league on their side! Herp! [/penshater]

Grandma Bingo

May 14, 2013
The Penguins player pushed Anderson into the net with his stick how is that not Goalie Interference? Plus they were the road team in that situation. Enjoy your sweep and Cup

And the replay tonight clearly shows skate was up... both goals justifiably reversed.

The calls were correct.

And in both cases, the unfortunate road team was forced to face a 5-on-3 a few minutes later, in which they gave up a goal and the momentum.

NBC and Toronto wants a 7 game series, and they dont care who wins that 7th game. Take off your damn tinfoil hat.

GordieHowsUrBreath

Nostalgia... STOP DWELLING ON THE PAST
Jun 16, 2016
seems to me many of you have never played sports, or maybe you weren't on good teams

it is natural to ease up and not play with full effort when you have a big lead

coincidence the pens scored shortly after the preds tied it up? nope

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
Over the past two years, seven, and into an eighth series, Lundqvist, Holtby (twice), Bob and now Rinne all have coincidentally had bad playoffs and got lit up like Christmas trees. That is some series of bad luck isn't it? And how lucky are the Pens, catching them all when they are having off series?

It's because the refs, duhh! :laugh:

carter333167

Apr 24, 2013
Ducks outshot Nashville 41-18 in Game 6.....Ducks lost 6-3. Where were all the "shots are more important than goals" posters in that game?

Gnashville

HFBoards Hall of Famer
Jan 7, 2003
Crossville
Apparently you do need the lottery. As you're apparently not making the playoffs next year.
This team had 0 top 10 picks on the ice vs a team with 4 top 5 picks playing and still came back for the worst possible start ever. Enjoy your 5th Cup try winning 1 without Mario or Crosby.

GordieHowsUrBreath

Jun 16, 2016
Oh come on, objectively, it was not. A no-chancer, a bad bounce, a good shot he faced cold after 37 minutes. The only thing that could be seen was a goal he allowed...against Malkin on a 5 on 3.

4 goals on 11 shots

that's a bad game even with your arms and legs tied up

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Despite the lack of style points, the win got us up a nice percentage in MoneyPuck's model.

As for McCurdy:

And one that just is mind boggling, as in I have never seen anything like it:

Everyone knows that the Pens can not play like this and win, starting with the Pens. They escaped with a win, and there were some silver linings (as I point out above) but most of the silver linings are of the order of the Pens played like ass and still won.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
This team had 0 top 10 picks on the ice vs a team with 4 top 5 picks playing and still came back for the worst possible start ever. Enjoy your 5th Cup try winning 1 without Mario or Crosby.

So do cups without guys who were drafted high don't count? I guess none of the Penguins, Hawks or Kings have a cup. Ooh, the Bruins cup in 2011 wouldn't count either because they had Horton, who was a top pick in 2003.

GordieHowsUrBreath

Jun 16, 2016

jeez it's far from over, hate to be in the foxhole with you

justaguy15

Jun 7, 2016
The Penguins player pushed Anderson into the net with his stick how is that not Goalie Interference? Plus they were the road team in that situation. Enjoy your sweep and Cup

What made that call at least questionable was that he was being pushed into the goal mouth hard from behind by Karlson's right leg to the point that he falls over onto Anderson.

Here's what the rulebook has to say on the subject:

"If an attacking player has been pushed, shoved, or fouled by a defending player so as to cause him to come into contact with the goalkeeper, such contact will not be deemed to be contact initiated by the attacking player for purposes of this rule, provided the attacking player has made a reasonable effort to avoid such contact."

Did he make reasonable effort? Apparently the refs didn't think so, but he appears to be trying to remain upright and play the loose puck, not knock Anderson down.

905PENS

Oskee wee wee
Apr 9, 2013
Hamilton Ontario

Don't lie, you made sure to make it 10 because ellis was 11th overall.

And i will, i definitely will. You're too considerate... I don't care what ur fellow Preds fans said about ya

905PENS

Oskee wee wee
Apr 9, 2013
Hamilton Ontario
So do cups without guys who were drafted high don't count? I guess none of the Penguins, Hawks or Kings have a cup. Ooh, the Bruins cup in 2011 wouldn't count either because they had Horton, who was a top pick in 2003.

By that Merit... Looks like the wings are the last cup winners. Frig, from cup winners to missing the playoffs... What a flop.. Hopefully they don't get a top pick.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
Please name a team that has won a cup without a top player....so saying "try winning a cup without crosby" is just stupid.

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA

As a Preds fan I'd agree. Stats looks terrible and one or two of those needed to be saved, but the result came down to us crapping the ice after the 5 on 3 goal not just on Rinne.

clunk

Dec 10, 2015
I'm gonna..
I feel like it's actually fair to ask if you just started watching hockey this year, because the Pens won the cup literally last year with the worst defence (on paper at least) in the playoffs.

And they just won three more series with that same defence minus Letang.

2015/2016:

NY Rangers: Offensive team. Middle of the pack defensively.

Washington: Offensive team. Low GA totals due to puck possession rather than out in out shutdown defense/suffocating style of play.

Tampa Bay: Better defensive team than the previous 2 (and great offense), took them to 7 games.

SJ: Offensive team but not really as great defensively overall, despite having some great defenders, to the level Nashville of this year or the Kings of the past have had. More of a possession team like the Caps.

2016/2017:

Columbus: Good defensive team, but their lack of game changing talent all around couldn't match up to Pitts.

Washington: Offensive team and low GA totals due to great puck possession. Pens almost met their match.

Sens: Good all around team with a generational defender: took the Pens to 7 games.

The Pens haven't faced a defense as good as Nashville's in pretty much all of their series wins of the last 2 years. Like I said before, Nashville's defense is one of the greatest defenses ever assembled in the modern era imo.

Two true elite #1 d-men in Subban and Josi, one top pairing guy/#2 in Ellis, one #3/borderline top pairing on some nights in Ekholm.

All 4 playing as good as they can (And they did this game), that's 4 potential top pairing guys in one defensive core on any given night.

Not to mention Rinne playing decently and Laviolette's great system and they're not going to be a team the Pens can just run over, as shown in this game with their 0 shots in 37 minutes due to the Preds' suffocating system....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad