SCF Game 1 | Predators vs. Penguins | Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

BrookswasHere44

Jun 22, 2009
I'm not reading ANY of this thread and I KNOW I need to say can we all get along? I like Nashville and I like the Preds but I LOVE the Pens

We shoulda lost. We didn't. Another game on Wed. Hug it out?

gordie

5x
Jul 9, 2002
hfboards.com
2015/2016:

NY Rangers: Offensive team. Middle of the pack defensively.

Washington: Offensive team. Low GA totals due to puck possession rather than out in out shutdown defense/suffocating style of play.

Tampa Bay: Better defensive team than the previous 2 (and great offense), took them to 7 games.

SJ: Offensive team but not really as great defensively overall, despite having some great defenders, to the level Nashville of this year or the Kings of the past have had. More of a possession team like the Caps.

2016/2017:

Columbus: Good defensive team, but their lack of game changing talent all around couldn't match up to Pitts.

Washington: Offensive team and low GA totals due to great puck possession. Pens almost met their match.

Sens: Good all around team with a generational defender: took the Pens to 7 games.

The Pens haven't faced a defense as good as Nashville's in pretty much all of their series wins of the last 2 years. Like I said before, Nashville's defense is one of the greatest defenses ever assembled in the modern era imo.

Two true elite #1 d-men in Subban and Josi, one top pairing guy/#2 in Ellis, one #3/borderline top pairing on some nights in Ekholm.

All 4 playing as good as they can (And they did this game), that's 4 potential top pairing guys in one defensive core on any given night.

Not to mention Rinne playing decently and Laviolette's great system and they're not going to be a team the Pens can just run over, as shown in this game with their 0 shots in 37 minutes due to the Preds' suffocating system....

You've got to be kidding??

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
So I would solicit the question then: does the NHL treat the SCF any different than any other game or are they created equal? And no I am not trying to start that debate again as we've seen over the last couple seasons. But the consistency desperately needs to be there then.

I have no idea what you're driving at.

It looked to me like the skate was clearly off the ice. I have faith that the NHL has a clear picture of that. The way the rule is set up, it's supposed to not be a goal.

Russian Factor

Jan 8, 2015
Pittsburgh
Back from the game.

Oddly enough an almost perfect game from my perspective.

1. The Pens won. This is the most important thing.
2. Rinne, the greatest goalie ever to put on pads, or at least the greatest goalie since Bob and Holtby, was made to look like a beer league goalie. He has to be questioning himself. A slightly better than 60% save percentage ain't gonna cut it.
3. The Pens certain will make adjustments and will play better. Sully will insert a stick through one of them to drive the point home tomorrow.
4. The Pens while winning the game will go into practice tomorrow feeling like they lost and played like ass, because they did. They will not come out smug and full of themselves. I am certain that they come out flying for game two as if they had lost game one.
5. Murray looked great.
6. The Pens will be scoring north of three goals a game this series. If Nashville is going to win they will need to go north of three goals a game as well, and I do not think that they have it in them.
7. Three more games and back to back baby.

This is a good summary of where I'm at.

To add, Rinne's SV% has mostly been trending downward all postseason. He has still had an amazing playoffs and has potential to go on stretches and be lights out, but it's somewhat encouraging to see his SV% continue to slightly regress.

Not happy with the game per se, but I don't feel that awful about it either. Game 2 is where we get a better idea if this is a potential trend for the Pens (low shot totals vs. NSH) or just a one-off

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
The Pens know that they played like ass, but all credit to Nashville. That was an amazing display put on out there, I have never seen anything like that in the playoffs.

The Pens are not that bad, Nashville is not that good, and Pens will not shoot at that high of a percentage and Rinne will not be that bad.

All in all except for the win (thank God), and no injuries (thank God), anyone trying to take much from this game as a predictor of anything likely is grasping for straws. Too many unsustainable extremes to have any of it become expectations, both ways.

Both teams should throw this one in the trash, the Pens dominated on possession, Rinne just dominated, and come out in game two and let's see where these teams really are at.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
By that Merit... Looks like the wings are the last cup winners. Frig, from cup winners to missing the playoffs... What a flop.. Hopefully they don't get a top pick.

2016: Penguins with Crosby (1st), Malkin (2nd), Fleury (1st), Kessel (5th)
2015: Hawks with Toews (3rd), Kane (1st)
2014: Kings with Doughty (2nd), Gaborik (3rd)
2013: Hawks with Toews (3rd), Kane (1st)
2012: Kings with Doughty (2nd), Johnson (3rd)
2011: Bruins with Horton (3rd), Seguin (2nd), Wheeler (5th)
2010: Hawks with Toews (3rd), Kane (1st), Ladd (4th), Barker (3rd)
2009: Penguins with Malkin (2nd), Crosby (1st), Staal (2nd) and Fleury (1st)
2008: Wings with no one
2007: Ducks with Selanne (10th), Niedermayer (3rd), Pronger (2nd)
2006: Canes with Staal (2nd), Brind'Amour (9th), Ladd (4th), Stillman (6th), Tverdovsky (2nd)

Looks like we only have 1 legitimate cup champion since the 2005 lockout.

Novak Djokovic

#24 and counting... #GOAT
Dec 10, 2006
The amount of hate Pittsburgh gets on this forum (seems to be the cool thing to do)... actually makes me like them. I have nothing against Nashville either, tbh. Would be fine with either team winning.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
What other recent team has had two elite #1s and 2 others easily capable of playing top pairing?

Of the modern era is a tad hyperbolic but he's not completely off base.

Ducks in 2006 is one that immediately jumps to mind. Hawks in 2010 with Byfuglien on defense is close too. Hell, the Sharks last year had 2 elite #1s (Vlasic and Burns) and 2 guys capable of playing on a top pair role (Martin and Demers)

905PENS

Oskee wee wee
Apr 9, 2013
Hamilton Ontario
2006: Canes with Staal (2nd), Brind'Amour (9th), Ladd (4th), Stillman (6th), Tverdovsky (2nd)

Im actually impressed I was right haha. But, when you're great team for 20 years.... Its a pretty educated guess lol.
Well, there you have it... The last legit cup was 2008.

eddiefromirwin

Apr 15, 2017
2015/2016:

NY Rangers: Offensive team. Middle of the pack defensively.

Washington: Offensive team. Low GA totals due to puck possession rather than out in out shutdown defense/suffocating style of play.

Tampa Bay: Better defensive team than the previous 2 (and great offense), took them to 7 games.

SJ: Offensive team but not really as great defensively overall, despite having some great defenders, to the level Nashville of this year or the Kings of the past have had. More of a possession team like the Caps.

2016/2017:

Columbus: Good defensive team, but their lack of game changing talent all around couldn't match up to Pitts.

Washington: Offensive team and low GA totals due to great puck possession. Pens almost met their match.

Sens: Good all around team with a generational defender: took the Pens to 7 games.

The Pens haven't faced a defense as good as Nashville's in pretty much all of their series wins of the last 2 years. Like I said before, Nashville's defense is one of the greatest defenses ever assembled in the modern era imo.

Two true elite #1 d-men in Subban and Josi, one top pairing guy/#2 in Ellis, one #3/borderline top pairing on some nights in Ekholm.

All 4 playing as good as they can (And they did this game), that's 4 potential top pairing guys in one defensive core on any given night.

Not to mention Rinne playing decently and Laviolette's great system and they're not going to be a team the Pens can just run over, as shown in this game with their 0 shots in 37 minutes due to the Preds' suffocating system....

Washington gave up 1/2 goal per game less than Nashville, and was the best defensive team in the league this year.

Rich Nixon

No Prior Knowledge of "Flyers"
Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne

In fairness, I think the only core players on the non-Pens teams there are Toews, Kane, Doughty, Pronger, and Staal. I mean, every player matters in a Cup win, but you're not going to tell me that the only reason the Canes won because they lucked into Oleg Tverdosky, or that it was all Gaborik in 2014. I mean, the Flyers have had one top 5 pick in the last 15 years (before this one) and they got JVR. The Penguins got Malkin with the same pick a few years before. Not where you draft them, it's who they are. They lucked into sucking at a good time, all it is.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
In fairness, I think the only core players on the non-Pens teams there are Toews, Kane, Doughty, Pronger, and Staal. I mean, every player matters in a Cup win, but you're not going to tell me that the only reason the Canes won because they lucked into Oleg Tverdosky, or that it was all Gaborik in 2014. I mean, the Flyers have had one top 5 pick in the last 15 years (before this one) and they got JVR. The Penguins got Malkin with the same pick a few years before. Not where you draft them, it's who they are. They lucked into sucking at a good time, all it is.

You wouldn't include Seguin, Nidermayer, Brind'Amour or Selanne "core players"? But the point was someone was crying about the Penguins having a lot of top end picks and winning because of that, but that's what every team who wins minus the Wings does.

clunk

Dec 10, 2015
I'm gonna..
You've got to be kidding??

Stevens, Niedermayer, Rafalski isn't that much different from

Josi, Subban, Ellis.

Just different play styles, but very similar in terms of effectiveness.

2 elite #1s and an arguably top pairing 3rd D.

I'd give NJ the slight edge due to Rafalski's offensive ability, but Ellis scored 16!!!!! goals in 71 games this season, and has 5 in 17 in these playoffs. Rafalski's never come close to that. Overall impact they're pretty similar.

The Wings have obviously had the best defenses with Lidstrom/Chelios and company of the modern era, but to say Nashville doesn't sit among the best is pretty ignorant, imo.

Niedermayer/Pronger/Beauchemin is also very comparable to what Nashville has right now.

Two elite #1s, arguable top pairing guy/#3 in Beauch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad