GDT: SCF G3: Colorado @ Tampa Bay - 8:00p (ET)

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Not just Kuemper though, the whole team has to be better and play a mistake free hockey like they did in game 2. Tampa has capitalized on mistakes all playoffs long and that's how they win games
Thats a really tough ask playing against Tampa in a 7 game series. The Avs did that once but its highly unlikely they do it again. At some point you need your goalie to make a big stop. Michael Leighton made some big stops against the Hawks in his finals appearance. How many times during this run has Kuemper made a save where you thought for sure its going in? I seriously only remember the McCarron stop in Game 1 and I think a save on ROR in Game 4. Thats it. Kuemper cant make the big stops. He can barely make the simple stops. Also this f***er is wearing shorts in net. Guys got no fire in his game. No anger when he lets one in. Doesnt look like he wants any part of this moment.

Reactions: jabubenice

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Jussayin: Kuemper and Vasi have pretty similar SV% so far this series.

Vasi
View attachment 560572

Kuemper
View attachment 560573
Pretty much how Vasi has looked to start a series throughout their run minus the Florida series. His stats vs the Rangers from Game 3 onwards were great and thats the Vasi you can expect the rest of the way which is why last night was a golden opportunity to really give yourself a huge advantage in the series but the Avs decided to not play defense and Kuemper decided hes scared of pucks.

Reactions: TheGrimReaper

SirLoinOfCloth

Apr 22, 2019
Colorado
Difference being Vasi makes 3+ unreal saves a night and is generally pretty consistent. Darcy let's in bad goals almost nightly and has a difficult time even freezing the puck.
I agree he makes some unreal saves. I would also argue he is letting in bad goals every night too.

Kuemper has not been good though, I can agree to that. But people act like Vasi is jesus in net when the reality is quite the opposite. He is completely beatable as we have been showing. He makes some ridiculous saves, but he doesn't save everything and SV% is pretty similar.

Alienblood

Nov 22, 2021
Has anyone seen footage of the disallowed goal being "clear and conslusive"? From the angles they showed on TV it seemed like they just guessed on a 50/50. Also pretty pathetic how you can be set up for a faceoff ready to drop the puck and then call it back. How much time do you need?

Anyways, ultimately the Avs played a good enough road game to have a chance to win, but were sunk by Kuemper.

The Cirelli goal was laughably bad and turned the series. Then letting in the 3rd goal straight through his body on a routine save, followed by the Maroon goal which should be an easy block on the short side. Kuemper has been woeful, no two ways about it.
was clear as day on Sportsnet ....Seems people who watched on other channels missed a lot of things .

I can't watch hockey on American tv.
watch CBC

Last edited:

TheGrimReaper

ten years gone
Aug 20, 2020
gallows pole
Keumpers goaltending ( or lack thereof ) fails to provide any confidence for the team. They played like they knew it was going to be one of those nights.
That first goal wasn't even a shot , a decent amount of snow build up would have stopped the puck.
Those of us who have played the game , competitive or otherwise , know that feeling when you are giving it a decent go and creating chances only to have a goal scored against seemingly everytime the play goes the other direction.
The team owns that deflating feeling and it's real. Fingers ( sorry ) get pointed and attitudes flare.
Goalie makes a huge save and you take a deep breath and a " whew ' and all is well , nothing has changed on the score board.
Not trying to dump on DK entirely here but he isn't providing that " whew " feeling and hasn't for some time now.
On a side note.
288150796_5383013648444581_3503653753019722995_n.png

April 29, 1967 - An exhausted Terry Sawchuk relaxing with a smoke in the dressing room after having saved 37 shots in the game.

Last edited:

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Keumpers goaltending ( or lack thereof ) fails to provide any confidence for the team. They played like they knew it was going to be one of those nights.
That first goal wasn't even a shot , a decent amount of snow build up would have stopped the puck.
Those of us who have played the game , competitive or otherwise , know that feeling when you are giving it a decent go and creating chances only to have a goal scored against seemingly everytime the play goes the other direction.
The team owns that deflating feeling and it's real. Fingers ( sorry ) get pointed and attitudes flare.
Goalie makes a huge save and you take a deep breath and a " whew ' and all is well , nothing has changed on the score board.
Not trying to dump on DK entirely here but he isn't providing that " whew " feeling and hasn't for some time now.
Its an awful feeling. No matter what you do you know you have to score 4-5 goals to win and even that might not be enough. Easier to play relaxed when you know not every mistake you make will end up in your net. Huge reason why the Bolts have won b2b. They know a mistake isnt the end of the world because they have the best in the world. Same thing in New York with Shesterkin. Rangers f*** up so often but Shesterkin is there to bail them. The Avs make a mistake in the o zone and it will come back to haunt them.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012

Vasi
View attachment 560572

Kuemper
View attachment 560573
Vasi was simply bad in the first two games. He's had more than his normal share of bad games this postseason... but here's the difference. Vasi can lock it down. IE: He was also bad against the Rangers in Games 1 and 2. He responded by only giving up 5 goals over 4 games.

I hate Rudo with all my heart, but i think he sums the game up perfectly in this one!

Mistake, after mistake, after mistake!

Tampa forces teams into mistakes... people aren't giving enough credit to Tampa and blaming it on the Avs being dumb. When it is a combination of both where Tampa is a team that is very good at forcing mistakes.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Tampa forces teams into mistakes... people aren't giving enough credit to Tampa and blaming it on the Avs being dumb. When it is a combination of both where Tampa is a team that is very good at forcing mistakes.
Slightly disagree with this not because you are wrong, but because Avs at times played brain-dead hockey. Avs left so many players open in prime location and did stupid plays like Manson's reverse pass to no one. Lightning didn't force Manson to make that pass or forced Toews and Makar to leave a 60 goal scorer open in front of the net by themselves. That's why I agree with Bednar that a lot of those goals were quite preventable even if Lightning force mistakes. Kuemper has to stop the first one because it just went through him and gave Lightning hope in coming back. Then he's gotta stop the fifth one because that just killed any hope of coming back.

The same aspect happened though with Lightning in Game 2, they allowed the Avs a ton of freebies. Avs hunger was on full display, but so many errors by the Bolts defensive core gave Avs so many chances. Now with that said and I want to stay humble because Tampa has my full respect, but I think Avs have been the better team throughout this series. That might not lead to a Cup win, but the eye test shows they have the better probability of winning. Again, I rather be humble and talk more about this after winning than talking about it now with just one game in hand against a team who has come back in like almost every series to win.

Reactions: AvsMakar08

Alienblood

Nov 22, 2021
From the above angle there was no separation
Sportsnet/CBC showed it out right away.. I couldn't understand what was taking so long. Just ask for the Sportnet cameras from now on. Same as the Makar goal in Edmonton. They had it right away

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Slightly disagree with this not because you are wrong, but because Avs at times played brain-dead hockey. Avs left so many players open in prime location and did stupid plays like Manson's reverse pass to no one. Lightning didn't force Manson to make that pass or forced Toews and Makar to leave a 60 goal scorer open in front of the net by themselves. That's why I agree with Bednar that a lot of those goals were quite preventable even if Lightning forced mistakes. Kuemper has to stop the first one because it just went through him and gave Lightning hope in coming back. Then he's gotta stop the fifth one because that just killed any hope of coming back.

The same aspect happened though with Lightning in Game 2, they allowed the Avs a ton of freebies. Avs hunger was full on display, but so many errors by the Bolts defensive core gave Avs so many chances. Now with that said and I want to stay humble because Tampa has my full respect, but I think Avs have been the better team throughout this series. That might not lead to a Cup win, but the eye test shows they have the better probability of winning. Again, I rather be humble and talk more about this after winning than talking about it now with just one game in hand against a team who has come back in like almost every series to win.

You're downplaying the role of how teams are attacking to force mistakes, narrow windows, and get into their heads. Avs caused a lot of the mistakes Tampa made in game 2... Tampa did the same in game 3. Teams always have some bread dead moments in games, mistakes happen (and I think you could argue Avs are most susceptible than most teams)... but they don't come out of nowhere 95% of the time.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
You're downplaying the role of how teams are attacking to force mistakes, narrow windows, and get into their heads. Avs caused a lot of the mistakes Tampa made in game 2... Tampa did the same in game 3. Teams always have some bread dead moments in games, mistakes happen (and I think you could argue Avs are most susceptible than most teams)... but they don't come out of nowhere 95% of the time.
My argument is that both teams are a bit better than what they have shown. Lightning are better than what happened in Game 2 and Avs are better than what they showed in Game 3. Lightning are superior in the neutral zone, while Avs are better on the forecheque. I just don't think Lightning's neutral zonal play is what lead to majority of mistakes yesterday that lead to goals IMO.

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto

Vasi
View attachment 560572

Kuemper
View attachment 560573
Now make a highlight video of their biggest saves:

Kuemper:
No videos found

Difference being Vasi makes 3+ unreal saves a night and is generally pretty consistent. Darcy let's in bad goals almost nightly and has a difficult time even freezing the puck.
Exactly. Kuemper cant even close the puck. Everytime he bounces it. I don't know what's going on with him.

Raucherhusten

Unselfish Gif Lover
Aug 24, 2017
Over the rainbow
The Toews TO came out of nowhere, so did the Manson one. And leaving first Palat and then Stamkos open in the slot wasn't really forced either. Avs team D had a rough night, like Tampa's in game 2. It happens, but i think it won't happen again. At least not to that extend.

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
The Toews TO came out of nowhere, so did the Manson one. And leaving first Palat and then Stamkos open in the slot wasn't really forced either. Avs team D had a rough night, like Tampa's in game 2. It happens, but i think it won't happen again. At least not to that extend.

Yeah, first three we totally donated to Tampa and it pretty much killed the game.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
My argument is that both teams a bit better than what they showed. Lightning are better than what happened in Game 2 and Avs are better than what they showed in Game 3. Lightning are superior in the neutral zone, while Avs are better on the forecheque. I just don't think Lightning's neutral zonal play is what lead to majority of those mistakes yesterday that lead to goals IMO.
Yeah both teams are better than their worst in the last 2 games, zero doubt about that.

I'm not stating neutral zone or forecheck... I'm stating tracking and layers. Tampa tracked better and closed windows on the Avs that were open in previous games that lead them to have to play into space more. When teams play the puck into space, the tendency is to turn the puck over a lot more and the Avs did. Manson's turnover is a very clear tracking and window turnover where Manson was trying to make a 'safe' rotation along the boards to Helm (who made the mistake of trying to interfere Perry instead of the corner) against the grain forecheck due to being tracked. The Colton layer was in the right spot against the 'safe' play.

Games 1 and 2, the Avs closed the breakout windows where if Tampa wanted to keep possession of the puck, they had to make passes through tight lanes. Where the Avs utilized their sticks incredibly well forcing mistake after mistake. This is why you saw Tampa ole on possession all through Game 3 and just flipped the puck out when there was pressure like that.

Toews yes... Manson no.

RECKLESS

Apr 23, 2019
To the negative folk:
Go roll off and eat golfcoursegrass!!

This series is NOT comparable to previous ones. Your negativity is useless!! Just useless!!

Short memories rule, and bounce back's are the way. I am sure the locker room has wiped this one and is ready for the next.

I will never lose faith in this team having seen what they are capable of.
Tampa today didn't even scare me, we just played way below our normal. It won't last.

Avs in 5 let's go!!!!!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad