Confirmed with Link: Scandella Extended, 5 years, 20 Million.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere
5 years x 4 million? That's an excellent deal.

Now, Spurgeon.

Spurgeon and Granlund will be later this year I think. They'll want to get a better sampling if both players have fully made that turn around the corner. I would imagine both would hover around 4.5-5 though in their contracts.

tomgilbertfan

#WhyBother
Jun 22, 2008
Minnesota
Spurgeon still has another year left on his deal, so we can't extend him until next season/the offseason. Unless that changed in the new CBA.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Spurgeon and Granlund will be later this year I think. They'll want to get a better sampling if both players have fully made that turn around the corner. I would imagine both would hover around 4.5-5 though in their contracts.

Granlund will be the trickiest one to establish value on, IMO.

Engebretson

Thank you, sweet rabbit
Nov 4, 2010
Minnesota
Awesome. I remember when Scandella was one of our top prospects around the time he was drafted. Glad DR decided to leave us something decent.

287iu6o.jpg

Wanted to make sure this was posted. Well done.

Avder

The Very Weedcat
Jun 2, 2011
A place.
Spurgeon I imagine they'll be looking at long term and really good money.

Him and Scandella have both grown up so much the past couple years. If you'd have told me we'd be singing their praises like this a few years ago, I'd have done a spit take all over you and laughed my ass off.

Nino Noderreiter

Jul 5, 2011
The Twin Cities
The Scandella/Spurgeon pairing might be my favorite part about the Wild, they are just both so likeable and easy to root for and have to overcome quite a bit so the fact that they are being rewarded with these long contracts, and the fact that they are signing them for relatively cheap is just so refreshing.

I ****ing love the attitude that Scandella brings to the game, cocky, but yet you can tell he's having fun.

Keep it up Fletch!

It's great that we are watching guys that are going to continue to grow for the next 5-6 years at minimum together!

I could see Granlund, Haula, Zucker, Niedderriter, Coyle, Parise, Koivu, Brodin, Suter, Scandella, Spurgeon, Kuemper, Dumba, Folin all being on the team still in 5 years. it's just awesome.

Last edited by a moderator:

W75

Wegistewed Usew
Oct 22, 2011
Winland
I think that Spurgeon's negotiations will be tough. I've heard that Spurgeon's new agent (they call him Puhis) has threatened to keep Jared locked in his basement until he sees enough dollars on the table.

:sarcasm:

DeuceMN

Really?
Oct 1, 2011
Chi-Town, Il
Spurgeon will get $5m+ this summer.

While Spurgeon has been growing on me, especially this year, I disagree that he is worth that much. I can see 4, but that's it.

I know I'm going to get beat up by a mob now, but that's my opinion on it.

He has not yet shown the production necessary of a d man for $5 mil. And I know, he's little but amazing and all that. He is pretty good. But his size does hurt his overall utility. Every time he gets manhandled it's painfully obvious.

He had a great takeaway from Benn in the last Dallas game. Then he was shoved around like a rag doll a few other times.

It's just is what it is.

And no I'm not a hater, I just don't believe he's the defensive version of Martin St. Louis.

Nharris31

Aug 9, 2013
Yeah...I'm thinking it will be in the 4-4.5m range. Similar to Scandella, a bit more due to fewer UFA years, a bit less because he doesn't bring the size element.

He may not have size but he was still second in hits after stoner last year. I think it's funny when he beats out player that's bigger than him.

Nharris31

Aug 9, 2013
While Spurgeon has been growing on me, especially this year, I disagree that he is worth that much. I can see 4, but that's it.

I know I'm going to get beat up by a mob now, but that's my opinion on it.

He has not yet shown the production necessary of a d man for $5 mil. And I know, he's little but amazing and all that. He is pretty good. But his size does hurt his overall utility. Every time he gets manhandled it's painfully obvious.

He had a great takeaway from Benn in the last Dallas game. Then he was shoved around like a rag doll a few other times.

It's just is what it is.

And no I'm not a hater, I just don't believe he's the defensive version of Martin St. Louis.
You know stoner was the only one who had more hits than him last year right?

Jarick

Doing Nothing
I'm just saying the size element will be held against him always. He's clearly a really good defenseman. Stats are pretty similar to Scandy this year. I would argue Scandy brings more from the ability to lead the rush but Spurgeon is always blocking lots of shots. Both awesome defensemen.

MN_Gopher

May 2, 2002
Mpls
Visit site

That stat might almost work against him.

Scandella does everyting Spurgeon does AND plays more games. So right around 4 mil is about right for Spurgeon.

Spurgeon has not sperated himself from Brodin or Scandella is the oldest of the bunch too, only a few months though. Why would you throw more money at him.

Going back to Spurgeon's WHL days. I dont think he has played a full season of hockey.

TheTimeKnife

Mar 11, 2014
Oregon
Spurgeon is a better defensemen then Scanner, but I don't think he will be payed by one. Spurg is faster, has a better shot, and more on ice awareness then Scanner. His ability to drive possession in the long term is also better. Luckily Scanner is playing lights out and signed for this, which likely means Spurg is going to get something similar.

Bookman

Feb 27, 2002
frozen north
Visit site
Spurgeon is a better defensemen then Scanner, but I don't think he will be payed by one. Spurg is faster, has a better shot, and more on ice awareness then Scanner. His ability to drive possession in the long term is also better. Luckily Scanner is playing lights out and signed for this, which likely means Spurg is going to get something similar.

Not sure about either of those.

I think Scandella's game has as much depth to it as that of Spurgeon, although in different areas. Spurgeon has gotten better at keeping the puck in the zone, and playing with some physical element. Scandella has upped his offensive game, pinching in and shooting more, and picking his spots quite well.

I would be happy is Spurgeon got a similar deal to Scandella. He definitely has rare vision and hockey smarts. But I think Scandella is becoming an impact player like a Burns, maybe with out the superlatives BB has in his arsenal, but still above average.

DeuceMN

Really?
Oct 1, 2011
Chi-Town, Il

And?

I mean, hits can be useful. Still doesn't change anything.

Him having a high number of hits, IMO, just shows it's all he can do to try and separate a forward from the puck. Suter just pushes them off it.

I like that he tries. He doesn't take himself out of position doing it, so that's cool.

His high amount of hits still doesn't make him a physical force. I've seen him hit guys, it's not intimidating.

Randy BoBandy

Cheeseburger Party
May 9, 2011
Sunnyvale
He has turned into one hell of a player. Great deal. I want to see him get more opportunities on the powerplay. Scandy adds a different element we are missing with Suter. Let Scandy and Spurgeon anchor the number one powerplay, they have been playing well all year 5v5.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad