Post-Game Talk: SC Finals, Here We Come

Status
Not open for further replies.

LeetchisGod

This is a bad hockey team.
May 21, 2009
Washington, DC
In '94, I was 8. I stayed up for nearly the entire Game 7 against NJ with my dad but ended up falling asleep prior to Matteau's goal. I remember walking to the store with him the next day and him telling me about it, and what it meant. I remember the seriousness in his voice. It felt special.

I remember all types of superstitions in my house. I remember my family saying "Richy-Tikki-Tavi" over and over again (Richter-Tikkanen-McTavish). It comes from a Rudyard Kipling book about a mongoose. I don't know if that was a common thing or something my family invented.

I remember Sam Rosen's call in Game 7 v. Vancouver and the champagne spraying everywhere, and the jumping around that commenced.

My grandfather died 2 years before, having never seen the Rangers win the Cup.

I remember all of that...but I don't remember the first two rounds. I don't remember the regular season (from memory, other than from articles/video). I didn't see Matteau's goal live. I don't remember the intricacies of the game.

This is different. This is my turn. I remember every second of this season, and I don't care if the bar studying takes up all my time, I will sleep a little less on those 7 days if need be, because I have been waiting my entire life to experience what my dad did.

I've seen the Knicks make it and lose. I've seen the Mets make it and lose. I've seen Rangers and Mets just fall short of making it. I've seen the Giants make it and lose, and make it and win twice. All of that pales by a wide margin to this if I get to see Henrik and co. lift Lord Stanley's Cup.

I hear you. I'm spoiled as a Yankees and Giants fan but 1994 cup is still my favorite sports moment. I was 19 and on summer break from college. I still remember my college friends calling to heckle me when Greg Adams scored in ot of game 1. :laugh:

jerseyjinx94

I jinx players.
Jan 11, 2012
Miami, FL
I hear you. I'm spoiled as a Yankees and Giants fan but 1994 cup is still my favorite sports moment. I was 19 and on summer break from college. I still remember my college friends calling to heckle me when Greg Adams scored in ot of game 1. :laugh:

Honestly, if they never win again before I die, I would have trouble saying they won a Cup in my lifetime. It's not the same as, with you, being 19 or so and seeing it. I was 21 when the Giants won in 07 and 25 in 2011. It's completely different than being 8.

Jabroni

The People's Champ
Jun 1, 2008
Honestly, if they never win again before I die, I would have trouble saying they won a Cup in my lifetime. It's not the same as, with you, being 19 or so and seeing it. I was 21 when the Giants won in 07 and 25 in 2011. It's completely different than being 8.

It's even worse saying "yeah, I saw them win the Cup when I was 1."

jerseyjinx94

I jinx players.
Jan 11, 2012
Miami, FL
It's even worse saying "yeah, I saw them win the Cup when I was 1."

The Mets won the World Series when I was 7 months old and the Giants when I was 11 months old and then again when was almost 5. I hear ya. Thank God for their recent Super Bowls, but the Cup is SO much more important.

poeman

To Win The One Ring
Mar 8, 2006
Ahem...So I made this video just now..Guess who was commentating on the Henrik Lundqvist save

Enforcinator*

I am a Rangers/Blackhawks fan believe it or not.

Growing up in Portland, OR we didn't have many professional sports teams to root for. My dad and I used to go to Portland Winterhawks games all the time and I just loved hockey.

I first started watching/understanding professional hockey when I was 8 years old during the 1994 Stanley Cup Finals. My favorite player was Messier (yea, go figure).

So Messier and the Rangers got me hooked on the NHL. Fast forward to 2001, my dad got transferred to Chicago. At the time no one in Chicago gave a **** about the Blackhawks so I adopted them as my "Western Conference team". Was great in the mid-2000s going to games for $15 bucks then by the 3rd period being 3 rows from the glass.

Now here they are 2 Cups in 4 year later with a chance to advance to the SCF again tomorrow night.

If the Hawks advance it would be both a blessing and a curse for me... WHO DO I ROOT FOR? Chicago is awesome during the SCF and I've obviously never been to NY when the Rangers have been in it.

It's funny I was out on a jog today and wearing my Rangers T-shirt and got comments from obvious Hawks fans about me wearing it. I'm like.... the HAWKS AREN'T EVEN IN THE FINALS YET!!

Oh well, I guess I should look at it as "I can't lose" if the Hawks/Rangers face off starting next week.

Definitely would be coming to a game at MSG and wearing my blueshirt gear.

*Bob Richards*

The 2011 Giants season was my favorite as a sports fan. Here's hoping that this current Rangers season takes over. :)

FultonReed

derailer of threads
Jul 28, 2010
Brooklyn, NY
the closest i've ever come to a championship was the Mets (i knew they had no chance vs the Yanks) and the Nets in 01 and 02. all have ended in heartbreak. was only 4 when we won the Cup last, so this would be huge for me. i'm still not really able to fully comprehend the situation that we're in right now.

Enforcinator*

Seconded. Exactly captures how I feel. This is personal for me and that's why I can completely ignore the "noise" and just enjoy this experience.

Embrace it dude!

I remember when the Hawks finally made it in 2010. ENJOY THE BUILD UP!

Once the Finals start its nothing but nerves for two weeks.

The build up and buzz in NY has to be incredible.

Enforcinator*

Meaning he already experienced it so now it's time to experience the Rangers raising the Cup?

I wouldn't hate that ;)

But all of my family and friends would.

I guess I really just can't lose I will be happy if the Hawks win 3/5 means dynasty basically.

But I would love to see the Blueshirts do it as well. No one.... NO ONE... in the league deserves the Cup more than Hank. Would be nice to see St. Louis get another one as well.

BlaqICE

Apr 10, 2007
N.Y.
A serious post from you, I love it. Haha.

This is my first memory of us getting there, being too young in 94'. I was filled with tears. My sister was 1 when they won in 94'. She was crying too. We've had tickets for 11 years now. My first memories are this team. I really start remembering the team when they had the ECF run with Gretz and Mess, unfortunately it went seriously downhill after that.

My first real years were with the dark ages squad. I remember Sandy McCarthy and all the overpaid/past their prime guys that came in: Holik, Lindros, Bure, Fleury, etc. I remember Greg Devries. I have signed memorabilia from all these guys.

Safe to say, this is something I only dreamed of. To be there at Game 6 was something I wouldn't trade for the world. I don't even know how to classify my reaction. You just want something so much for so many years. You don't think you'll ever get it, then it's happening. How do you react to that? It was just pure shock and elation. It's fascinating to be around. Those weren't cheers for the Rangers, they were cheers for something else. Something people have been waiting for forever. Some people, like me, their whole lives. It was a sound of elation, of finally.

I'm still in shock. I still can't beleive it. I hear stanley cup finals on the tv and it's ****ing us. US. After years of watching other teams, it's us. Just unbelievable.

Guy came up to me at work yesterday, diehard Jets fan, as I am the Rangers. Said to me, "I can only dream of what you must be feeling." I told him it was the best day of my life so far. He said when the Jets beat the Pats in the playoffs it was the best day of his, including the birth of his kid.

I don't have a kid, so I can't compare, but Game 6 was the best moment of my life so far. How many times can you say you've waited your whole life for something and it's finally coming true? Hopefully I'll have that feeling once more this year.

Haha I'm in a similar boat. I was 5 when they won in '94 and I don't remember it too well. I remember standing outside Rye Playland after a Rangers Practice and freezing my balls off just to get an autograph from Mike Eastwood and Tim Sweeney lol. Those are some dark days...

Last edited:

Matt4776

May 8, 2009
Yeah... I was born 6 months before Messier lifted the cup. I'm a Jets/Rangers fan and that's it as far as professional sports go (unless you want to count the Gunners for the Premier League). I don't have the Yankees/Giants to fall back on. My sports life is filled with heartbreak and agony.

Hire Sather

He Is Our Star
Oct 4, 2002
Connecticut
For some reason, I remember a phone conversation with my Aunt when I was a wee lad in '94 (5 years old) and I seem to recall her mentioning a parade for the Rangers, but it could very easily be mixed memories and I'm thinking of the 96 Yankees.

I didn't really become a fan until 96-97 as an 8 yearold, I remember watching the playoffs that year. I can pretty much say I've watched every game and followed the team since that '97 run.

Wasn't much to cheer for. I still remember how amped I was for that Devils series in 2006, my first real playoff experience as a fan and I still didn't get a damn win until '07.

BlaqICE

Apr 10, 2007
N.Y.
For some reason, I remember a phone conversation with my Aunt when I was a wee lad in '94 (5 years old) and I seem to recall her mentioning a parade for the Rangers, but it could very easily be mixed memories and I'm thinking of the 96 Yankees.

I didn't really become a fan until 96-97 as an 8 yearold, I remember watching the playoffs that year. I can pretty much say I've watched every game and followed the team since that '97 run.

Wasn't much to cheer for. I still remember how amped I was for that Devils series in 2006, my first real playoff experience as a fan and I still didn't get a damn win until '07.

I remember watching game 5 when they were eliminated by the flyers in the ECF in '97, shutting off the T.V. after the game and going to bed thinking, "oh well, they'll be back next year." lol I'm going to savor every last second of this run.

ReggieDunlop68

hey hanrahan!
Oct 4, 2008
It’s a rebuild.
Every year we won playoff lottery tickets. You send in post cards and they pick you out of a hat and you get 2 pairs to each round of the playoffs. 1994 was the first year they pulled the," you can only have tickets to the first 2 rounds but not the 3rd or 4th." Joy So we watched the dismantling of the Islanders and the Capitals.

My brother, a few diehard friends, and I were outside the building Game 5 watching across the street at a Chinese restaurant/bar. When they tied it 3-3 you could feel the ground rumbling a block away. It was so amazing screaming our heads off outside the bar and the earthquake from MSG. To this day I am amazed at how loud it was, I wish I was inside and be a part of that.

Game 7 we figured we should stay home. As soon as they won we hopped in the car and went to the city, watching the diving off the taxi stand out front it was awesome.

I was 23 at the time.

We all drove in for the parade. I will never forget that day!

I don't know if anyone from that time was near where I was standing, but I still remember these three broads watching from their apartment, and before the floats came near us, the fans respectfully chanted in unison for them to "show us your [nice smiles]!" :naughty:

I told my dad that I couldn't wait to do this again next year...

Vinny DeAngelo

Jimmy Easy to defend
Mar 17, 2014
florida
Believe it or not but I am a Seahawks fan, I'm currently attended Florida State, and I won't my fantasy football league for the 2nd yr in a row... But most of all I'm a rangers fan and they can put a cap on the greatest sports year of my life

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce