Say you are made coach of a team...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pensfan86

Mar 18, 2002
Steel City(Pittsburgh)
Visit site
I always wanted to be able to start a program as a hockey coach at a prep school or a private school of some sort where recruiting would be invovled. Say you are made coach of a team, and basically are in charge of bringing players into the fold. If you could create your perfect team, what type of players would it contain?

For me, it's all about speed. I would recruit the fastest players I could find. While size would be a factor, bigger guys would have to be able to keep up with the faster guys on the team, or they would find themselves on a lower line. I love the all out offensive attack, while it is risky, so defenders I would go after would be similar to my forwards, quick, fast, but not necessarily big. With goaltending, I mean, obviously you go for the best goalie overall, it's hard to have any real preferences on goaltenders, but I would attempt to find one who could play the puck well.

If you were given the reigns of a hockey program and had to bring in your own players, what type of team would you create?

Moon Man*

I have been in this position before with a girls team at a very competitive prep/boarding school (before I took a college coaching position), and I have to say it was one of the most fun coaching positions I have ever taken.

I didn't know what I wanted as a coach, but kept finding players at tournaments that were playmakers and gave them my card. I was more interested in finding out who could provide some spark and fill in the holes that were left by the previous year's graduation. They had to be equal ability of the player they were replacing (or better) if I was going to give them a serious look. I also didn't take players that I didn't think could start their first year out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad