Say Stamkos plays all 82 games this season

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Hard to say because it seems to be more mental issues than physical right now. Though lack of chemistry with his wingers hasn't helped and if Drouin can be a playmaker to the Stamkos we've seen the last two years, even that could get him close to PPG.

That said, too many people seem to think losing St.Louis was a bigger issue than simply him playing worse. Anyone saying he was reliant on him in the past must not have watched him in his 60 goal season.

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
Do people not remember when Ovi was supposedly washed up and declining?

In all honesty, he is and has been declining. He's certainly not "washed up", but he's gone from a guy who is a regular threat to dominate goal scoring and overall scoring to a guy who regularly places in the top 10 but is only really a threat for the Richard most seasons. The difference between Ovechkin and Stamkos is Ovechkin started out a much better player, so he's declined into a player who's still very much elite; Stamkos doesn't have as far to fall before he drops out of that category (not that he's dropped out of there yet).

Master P

Mar 31, 2016
Florida
I think he has a bounce back year. I think the contract talks did play a factor in his on ice performance. He needs to get back to a shoot first mentality. The last few seasons he's been trying to turn into a play maker, which isn't a bad thing but its just not his style.

I think that he can finally focus on hockey without all the off ice drama and nets 50 goals and around 30 or so assists. Final guess is 86 points.

Hackett

BAKAMAN
Mar 4, 2002
Visit site
I think his days of being an 80+ point player are over.

You might be right about that.

I think he will still get about 40 goals though. I don't know about the assists, but his role should be to score goals, so that is the metric I will stick with.

Volodya Krutov

Lost Cosmonaut
Jan 18, 2012
Depends on his linemates. Give him Drouin and Palat permanently and I wouldn't be surprised to see him hit the 1 point per game mark. There's no question Stammer is not your prototypical center though, he's first and foremost a sniper who loves to shoot and possesses a pretty ****y ice-vision for such position, so forget the Thornton-like numbers, if Stamkos becomes a 1PPG player it's because he scored many goals (40-45 goals) and has a some playmaking wingers to feed him. That's when Steven's becoming lethal.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Depends on his linemates. Give him Drouin and Palat permanently and I wouldn't be surprised to see him hit the 1 point per game mark. There's no question Stammer is not your prototypical center though, he's first and foremost a sniper who loves to shoot and possesses a pretty ****y ice-vision for such position, so forget the Thornton-like numbers, if Stamkos becomes a 1PPG player it's because he scored many goals (40-45 goals) and has a some playmaking wingers to feed him. That's when Steven's becoming lethal.

Yeah. Stamkos's A-game is based more on athletic ability than hockey IQ. Whether or not that ability has declined, or if the problem is 100% mental, is still a little bit arguable.

We do have the Drouin-Stamkos-Kucherov option. We saw a few shifts of that last season. Drouin and Kucherov look incredible together, and it would only be a matter of time before they use a weapon like Stamkos to their advantage.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
I'm not watching him every night so I can't comment on a drop in his overall play, but statistically every year up until this one, goal scoring wise his fall has been exaggerated when you consider where he is ranking wise in goal scoring.

Last year when there was talk that he wasn't the same player, he was still 2nd in goals behind only Ovechkin. This year was his first unremarkable year goal scoring wise, and the first time hd didn't finish top 3 since his rookie season but he still had a respectable top 10 goal scoring year.

I wouldn't be surprised to see him finish top 5 in goal scoring this season.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
30 goals, 60ish points. Disappointing compared to what he was capable of earlier in his career, but people need to realize that he likely won't be as mobile or durable going forward.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I'm not watching him every night so I can't comment on a drop in his overall play, but statistically every year up until this one, goal scoring wise his fall has been exaggerated when you consider where he is ranking wise in goal scoring.

Last year when there was talk that he wasn't the same player, he was still 2nd in goals behind only Ovechkin. This year was his first unremarkable year goal scoring wise, and the first time hd didn't finish top 3 since his rookie season but he still had a respectable top 10 goal scoring year.

I wouldn't be surprised to see him finish top 5 in goal scoring this season.

It's more about how few chances he seems to get, almost none of which are created on his own. He goes really, really invisible, for long stretches of time.

He's still a top-notch goal-scorer, no doubt. But in a game where he doesn't score a goal, it's really hard to find something positive that he's doing. (Although he was a weirdly effective penalty killer, for someone who's, at best, average defensively.)

He'll get his points. If Drouin takes a step forward, Stamkos might well get A LOT of points. But that makes his range really wide. If he doesn't have an elite-level winger, he might put up as few as 60 points. But if Drouin turns out to be the real deal, Stammer could return to 90.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad