Savard?

hopkinsj31

Oct 20, 2006
Newfoundland
No, it means Marc Savard hasn't played in two years and will never play again. This move is just housekeeping for cap/roster purposes.

Rubber Biscuit

Sep 9, 2010
Long Island
No, it means Marc Savard hasn't played in two years and will never play again. This move is just housekeeping for cap/roster purposes.

I don't know about that. It was clear he wouldn't play last year and they didn't put him on LTIR. Obviously we shouldn't read into it, if true, but it could mean something.

I haven't seen anything about it, so I'm wondering where the OP read/heard that.

sjaustin77

Oct 28, 2007
It is on TSN's transaction page. I don't believe injured reserve is the same as LTIR though so I doubt this is a precursor to any move. Just a transaction that needed to be made at some point.

BostonBob

4 Ever The Greatest
Jan 26, 2004
Vancouver, BC
It is on TSN's transaction page. I don't believe injured reserve is the same as LTIR though so I doubt this is a precursor to any move. Just a transaction that needed to be made at some point.

I just checked the ticker on TSN2 and it said that he was placed on the Injured Reserve list. I might have read it wrong or maybe they just changed it but I still think they had that Savvy was going on LTIR before.

sjaustin77

Oct 28, 2007
Well I don't know what you saw compared to what is there now, but like I said there is a difference between IR and LTIR. He has to be put on IR so they can replace his roster spot. He would only need to be put on LTIR if the Bruins needed the cap space.

Even with an extra D and forward they have about $1.3M. Without an extra D and forward they have about $2.5M and that is without the bonus cushion. With the bonus cushion they have between about $4.2M & $5.4M. Also if they are signing someone that means someone else's salary could come off as well giving even more room.

I don't think there are many expensive UFA's left. It would need to be a major signing of an RFA like Benn or Subban and I seriously doubt that happens. If they were trading for a high salary player they would likely be shipping some salary out.

They never used LTIR for Savard (or Horton) last year and I doubt they do this year. There is nothing to see here. This move was standard operating procedure so they can use the roster slot if needed.

DaveFromNB

Sep 6, 2008
Quispamsis, NB
You can`t put a player on LTIR unless you actually need the cap space. nhl.com is reporting his as having been placed on IR, which clears his roster spot - a fully expected move.

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
I just checked the ticker on TSN2 and it said that he was placed on the Injured Reserve list. I might have read it wrong or maybe they just changed it but I still think they had that Savvy was going on LTIR before.

A player cannot be put on LTIR until day one of the season (Saturday). And there is no need for the Bruins to put him on LTIR even then because they don't need the cap space.

If a deal is made later in the season and the need the space, they'll put him on and can even make it retroactive.

But Injured reserve clears his roster spot. That's all the Bruins are doing

ranold26

Tuukka likes the post...
May 28, 2003
Eight years after the previous CBA was created, I can't believe this still needs to be explained.

BruinsHockey74

Nov 17, 2010
ma
I don't know about that. It was clear he wouldn't play last year and they didn't put him on LTIR. Obviously we shouldn't read into it, if true, but it could mean something.

I haven't seen anything about it, so I'm wondering where the OP read/heard that.

No, he will never play again. If you've seen him the last few times he's talked to the press, he's incredibly out of shape (overweight) and theres really been no indication of him working out or skating without getting headaches.

He is done. Sad but true.

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
Just to clarify, correct me if I'm wrong: The new CBA hasn't changed anything in terms of LTIR, correct? Clubs must be cap compliant to begin the season, and then they can put a player on LTIR at the start of the regular season and they can spend above the cap equal to the injured player's cap hit. So in the case of Savard, the $4M and change only becomes available to them after the season starts? So they can take on salary as part of a trade after the season begins, but they can't use the money during free agency, correct?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad