Pre-Game Talk: Saturday vs. Seattle: Will this game be postponed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Omicron wave starting to engulf the league. RNH placed on protocol. I’m not sure the Oilers even have enough cap space to call up a replacement unless the league allows them a emergency call up, which they strangely seem reluctant to do as they forced Carolina to play two men short yesterday.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
The Oilers won’t want to risk players being stuck in the USA for two weeks over Christmas if any positive cases happen when down there. Game gets postponed is my guess.

Reactions: Leonardlizard

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
I'm far from a fear mongerer, the exact opposite actually, but with how ultra contagious this thing is (despite that based on early data, the potency is quite weak compared to the other variants), it might be best for the league to take a break through the holidays and recalibrate in the 2nd week of January, use that as the "Olympic Break" since it seems like the Olympics are as good as toast IMO.

As annoying as it is to shut things down since the vaccines were supposed to put a stop to this sort of solution, it's probably best for business to pause for a few weeks since this should start to taper a bit after the holidays. Get everybody back to health and piece together a stricter protocol policy when they return.

Reactions: Duke74

Leonardlizard

Dec 3, 2021
Seems really sketchy.. I mean I want the game but if this gets worse.. I was really hoping the flames game on 27th would be on --its my birthday and I was looking forward to that one the most but it might already be postponed because of their cases.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Given the Omnicron variant is 10 times less virulent in the lungs according to the latest research but 70 times more reproductive this is the one we’re all probably getting. In fact the scientist in South Africa that discovered this variant said with the latest research on this variant, it is so mild that this is the chance for herd immunity. Basically said to let her rip. This is the science speaking now.

Arpeggio

Jul 20, 2006
Edmonton
So Nuge tested positive after the game? So it's pretty likely a bunch of guys in the room were exposed to it. I dunno, it seems pretty obvious that as soon as one guy gets it, a bunch of other guys are going to get it, so the league should really consider postponing games earlier in the outbreak, rather than waiting until it's spread to the entire team.

Nuge is a huge loss for this team, COVID is going to cost some teams a playoff spot this year.

Reactions: ujju2

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
NHL should do what the NFL is doing and allow vaccinated asymptomatic players to play quicker

Nuge sure didn't play like a guy who was sick last night

Most of them are asymptomatic (apparently) because this strain is relatively weak compared to the others but I guess the worry is more about who they spread it to, the vulnerable, whether it be older or immuno compromised NHL employees or the general public. The contagious nature of this is the problem right now especially being around the holidays and all.

Reactions: ujju2

NashtoNowitzki

Jan 8, 2019
What's the overton window on the league stopping testing of its players? I'm not trying to sound like Kid Rock here, but this one is incredibly infectious and incredibly mild. Everyone in the NHL is young, healthy, and vaccinated. They might as well start daily testing everyone's static cling buildup in the off chance they get hit by lightning by this logic. Ignore science and drop the puck!

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
Most of them are asymptomatic (apparently) because this strain is relatively weak compared to the others but I guess the worry is more about who they spread it to, the vulnerable, whether it be older or immuno compromised NHL employees or the general public. The contagious nature of this is the problem right now especially being around the holidays and all.
Relatively weak? Way more weak. If you are concerned about spreading this to the more vulnerable then we might as well lock down and never open up again.

DaGap

Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
really makes no sense why we are still testing vaccinated players that feel completely fine

if you have symptoms, stay home and get tested...common sense

I would hope thats why were getting home kits but im guessing its just to keep the cases high

Relatively weak? Way more weak. If you are concerned about spreading this to the more vulnerable then we might as well lock down and never open up again.

Thats the plan

Reactions: Mickelsnitz

McGreat One

Jan 1, 2010
If Nuge gotta miss some time, I really hope the haters pay close attention to how much he's missed and how important he is to this team.

People are fooled too often by stats and draft rankings and forget to look at the overall picture. Not to mention how much the guy is loved in the locker room.

Mez

Nov 16, 2017
Given the Omnicron variant is 10 times less virulent in the lungs according to the latest research but 70 times more reproductive this is the one we’re all probably getting. In fact the scientist in South Africa that discovered this variant said with the latest research on this variant, it is so mild that this is the chance for herd immunity. Basically said to let her rip. This is the science speaking now.
Yes we got to push through this wave with hopefully minimal tragic loss of life and then we could be in a lot better shape. May be a positive in disguise.

Mez

Nov 16, 2017
NHL should do what the NFL is doing and allow vaccinated asymptomatic players to play quicker

Nuge sure didn't play like a guy who was sick last night
Makes me wonder how many people have had Omi already and didnt even know it since we dont get tested like athletes.

Reactions: 94 Oil Drops

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting

One can't gauge this though just on initial findings and essentially from one place. Covid is known to have after effects and the different strains have had multiple after effects that don't become apparent until much later. health altering effects. So while the initial wve of this may be considered less virulent on initial results, we haven't seen how Omicron impacts months later. Theres a danger in anybody thinking this is like a common cold now. (not saying you)

More time required, in which to have more certainty, and its prudent for precautions to continue.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Yes we got to push through this wave with hopefully minimal tragic loss of life and then we could be in a lot better shape. May be a positive in disguise.

Several of the most harmful pandemics mutated into variants that are less harmful, less lethal, that was always the hope that such a thing would occur. But its too early to know. Many people in Africa also had contracted Covid, and so they're built immunity to this may be different.

Reactions: tardigrade81

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
What's the overton window on the league stopping testing of its players? I'm not trying to sound like Kid Rock here, but this one is incredibly infectious and incredibly mild. Everyone in the NHL is young, healthy, and vaccinated. They might as well start daily testing everyone's static cling buildup in the off chance they get hit by lightning by this logic. Ignore science and drop the puck!

We actually don't have enough data yet to say how mild it is or isn't. So far the early data do point to it being slightly more mild, but it's inconclusive so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad