Saturday January 12th : Detroit Red Wings @ Minnesota Wild - 8:00 EST - FS-D

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
Larkin is last place on the team in terms of 5v5 on ice shooting %, at 5.86% which his really low, and quite unlucky. Our shots have the least chance of going in when Larkin is on the ice.

For reference, someone like Auston Matthews has a on ice SH% over twice as high as Larkin's. Hmm.

Reactions: mantha39

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
His age combined with style of play are catching up on him. That contract is gonna be anaethama at it's end.
Haha, we can always hope that the rebuild goes so well - and that darn contract is so long - that in a few years, Detroit can actually afford to staple a pick to Abdelkader to convince another team to take him. ;)

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi
Haha, we can always hope that the rebuild goes so well - and that darn contract is so long - that in a few years, Detroit can actually afford to staple a pick to Abdelkader to convince another team to take him. ;)

He has like 1/10 the skill Lucic has and look how far he has fallen. Abby is untouchable as they come. We can only hope for a ltir injury in like a year or two to get his contract off the books sadly.

bigbizze

Oct 9, 2017
Larkin is last place on the team in terms of 5v5 on ice shooting %, at 5.86% which his really low, and quite unlucky. Our shots have the least chance of going in when Larkin is on the ice.

For reference, someone like Auston Matthews has a on ice SH% over twice as high as Larkin's. Hmm.

To be fair Larkin is a 9.2% shooter over his entire career and Matthews is a 16.7% shooter.

bigbizze

Oct 9, 2017
Then hopefully Hughes is a 16.7% kinda guy...and looks really good in red and white.

I agree, even if he isn't he will probably be excellent and making his linemates around him that kind of quality.

Mantha and Hughes is an exciting prospect to think about.

Larkin as your #2C is the kind of depth that makes a contender.

raymond23

Go Griffs Go
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI
I agree, even if he isn't he will probably be excellent and making his linemates around him that kind of quality.

Mantha and Hughes is an exciting prospect to think about.

Larkin as your #2C is the kind of depth that makes a contender.

I feel like even if we get a better center than Larkin, he's still going to be the guy like Bergeron is. Taking all the tough matchups and such.

Or maybe we get another player just like Larkin :)

SimonEdvinssonAtSix

It's possible to commit no mistakes and still lose
Nov 2, 2018
He has like 1/10 the skill Lucic has and look how far he has fallen. Abby is untouchable as they come. We can only hope for a ltir injury in like a year or two to get his contract off the books sadly.

All contracts are tradeable and I disagree that ltir is the only option. Cap floor teams are a thing. Packages of picks and prospects are a thing. The only question is if we want to pay the price to trade him. With the current structure of the team there is no need to trade him. We have money off the books each year for several years to come. By the time Abby is taking up a roster spot we could use on a kid his contract will have only a few years left on it and the price to trade him will have come down significantly.

Abby has his NTC moved to a Modified NTC starting in 2020-2021 that states if he is not top 9 in TOI or Detroit misses the playoffs he can be traded to any team. His salary drops to 3.5M is 2020-2021 and down to 3.0M for the last two years. If the cap keeps rising Abby may actually return a net profit in the 21-22 season coming with a 4.5M cap hit but only 3.0M in actual dollars. Cheap owners love saving themselves millions of dollars.

EDIT: 4.25M cap hit not 4.5

Last edited:

TheOtherOne

Jan 2, 2010
We managed to trade Datsyuk when his on-ice impact was literally zero.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
The Hawks were able to rid themselves of 1 year @ 4 million of Brian Bickell at the cost of Tuevo Teravainen.

TT has 38 points in 45 games this year. 64 in 82 last year.

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi

So we are stuck with a declining scrub for 3 more years with the hope a cap floor team will take him on the last year. Hey yo that is really motivating.

And he hasn't even hit the age 30 drop off just about all big physical players go through except for HHoF players tend to ssuffer from.

If I remember correctly he is 28-29? Not gonna waste time on Abby's info I'd like to keep depression to a minimum.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
So we are stuck with a declining scrub for 3 more years with the hope a cap floor team will take him on the last year. Hey yo that is really motivating.

And he hasn't even hit the age 30 drop off just about all big physical players go through except for HHoF players tend to ssuffer from.

If I remember correctly he is 28-29? Not gonna waste time on Abby's info I'd like to keep depression to a minimum.

Gator turns 32 in February. Unless he becomes a cap/roster issue, I think he's here for the duration. We're not going to like what he gives us vs his cap hit, but if he doesn't get in the way of chasing a Karlsson or turning the roster over how we want, he still puts in the effort, doesn't make a lot of stupid/careless mistakes, and is probably seen as one of the leaders in the locker room.

Reactions: Henkka

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi
Gator turns 32 in February. Unless he becomes a cap/roster issue, I think he's here for the duration. We're not going to like what he gives us vs his cap hit, but if he doesn't get in the way of chasing a Karlsson or turning the roster over how we want, he still puts in the effort, doesn't make a lot of stupid/careless mistakes, and is probably seen as one of the leaders in the locker room.

Did you really just say doesn't make a lot of stupid mistakes? He makes 2-3 a game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad