Sarnia Sting 2022-23 Season Thread (Part 3)

Status
Not open for further replies.

SarniaStingFan

Jul 28, 2020
Great period. They are buzzing. Every line. Kitchener hates the rough stuff. Gotta keep it up.

Serious question. HOW does Anderson have 2 points this yr. This kid is a menace
Would love to see Anderson play with Vilmanis. Their size and skating ability would be a nightmare for opposing teams

Reactions: Ferda11

Ferda11

Feb 16, 2016
PP gotta show some killer instinct man. This should be over, instead KIT is right in it still.
This scares me. Game should be done at this point. Just one of those needed to click. Too much talent on KIT to only have a 2 goal lead….and we all know what they say about a 2 goal lead…..

Good effort thus far. They look good.

Reactions: StingUpdates

honeydripper

Mar 15, 2022
Four open-ish nets in the last 20 minutes. Should be 6-0. No finish, the curse of the sting.

Happy to be proven wrong in the 3rd.

Ferda11

Feb 16, 2016
Well they scared the shit out of me for a few minutes there with those 2 short handed goals against but they hunkered down and shut it down and skated away with the big 2 pts. Pretty good effort overall. Gotta be happy with that. Couple favourable bounces and we win that game handily. What was that? 6-8 wide open nets where we just couldn’t tap it in? Final score made this game closer then what it was imo. Bounces just weren’t there.

Good teams find a way to win despite the unfavourable bounces. Good stuff. Onward and upward!

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
Fantastic stuff! Defensive masterclass 5on5. Maybe allowed 10 shots at even strength. Huge ups to Kyrou on that late block. He was feeling it. He's a stud. Total game changer

Mast & Ritchie were awesome this weekend. When Mast plays like he did this weekend he's such a good defenceman. Del Mastro is like a closer lol. Up late? Here he comes to shut sh*t down. Dillingham wants a piece of everybody too lol.

Nice wrinkle the last 2 nights has been Letang using Mast, Dilly & Del Mastro with the net empty. Such length & size they shut things down.

Top boys came to play & on a different night they all rack up 3 or 4 points. Must've missed 4or5 for sure goals. I am LOVING Anderson. He's brought a swagger & confidence to the 4th line & they are buzzing. Hes letting teams know too. Both he & Del Mastro were chirping some of KITs top guys for not wanting to go into the corners with them lol. Fricken love it.

Feel for Gaudreau as he was minutes away from a SO but our own PP f*cked that up. That's 4 of 5 solid starts since returning. He looks much more confident in the net. Huge for this team. HUGE.

Take the 4 points & run with it into another winnable weekend next week. Another great atmosphere at the arena too. Man have I missed this. City seems to be rallying around the.

Ferda11

Feb 16, 2016
This team makes me CRAZY!!
Play so well, then the two shorties… Great timeout by coaching staff.
Love Anderson.
Great contributions by everyone.
3 wins, 19 to go.
Hahaha I feel you. Never a dull moment being a supporter of this franchise. Just when you’re feeling good about the game, they somehow find a way to scare the ever living shit out of you and shake your confidence to the core. I’ll have a full blown heart attack one of these days I swear..:scared:

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
Hahaha I feel you. Never a dull moment being a supporter of this franchise. Just when you’re feeling good about the game, they somehow find a way to scare the ever living shit out of you and shake your confidence to the core. I’ll have a full blown heart attack one of these days I swear..
100% I'm having one these playoffs lmao. especially if RD2 they play London...

Team has to be more consistent. Seen it all yr. They can play with anybody. Literally. In a good way & in a bad way..

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
My girlfriends little brother went to high school with Anderson. That swagger and confidence has been a trademark of his throughout the years according to him. Good ol’ Ohsewken boy!
hes been awesome. Been a huge boost to L4. Hopefully he can keep it up. Been playing with a lot of confidence. Letang's been playing them quite a bit & rightfully so.

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
Thought that was DBB best game with us. Was much more assertive. Good on draws (8/13), great steal + pass for Pastujov goal. Backchecked hard.

Looks like a guy struggling to adjust fully. Been a bit passive. Hopefully another full week does him good.

Still has 5 points in 6 games & is 56% on draws. Just need him to start scoring Gs himself.

As a team we've become very elite on draws. All 4 down the middle win a lot & Burke wins a ton of his strong side & is up to 2nd in the entire league for FO% (min 100+ attempts) at 59% Makes everything so much easier.

Need Filak & Vilmanis to get going again. They just don't seem to mesh o n the same line. great to see Burke have a big weekend. Gonna push for 40Gs. Never tire watching him play. Heart & soul player. Also thought Dillingham was a beast this weekend. Shoulder looks 100% finally.

Last edited:

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
He cost us that 2nd SHG (props to Pinelli tho great play), but I've been very very happy with Kyrou. Offensively he drives play like few Dmen do in this league & after a bumpy first weekend I think he's actually been really solid in his own end.

Playing top pair, big minutes he hasn't been a liability at all. Every game he stands out. Absolutely loved this last night. Perfect showcase of how committed he & the team were. Gutsy stuff

Ferda11

Feb 16, 2016
He cost us that 2nd SHG (props to Pinelli tho great play), but I've been very very happy with Kyrou. Offensively he drives play like few Dmen do in this league & after a bumpy first weekend I think he's actually been really solid in his own end.

Playing top pair, big minutes he hasn't been a liability at all. Every game he stands out. Absolutely loved this last night. Perfect showcase of how committed he & the team were. Gutsy stuff

Still no idea why he isn’t quarterbacking power play 1. Not sure what the obsession is with 4 forwards and 1 D.

I’d have Kyrou and Del Mastro on the point. Kyrou to quarterback and Del Mastro with the heavy shot. Burke in front, Voit and Pastujov on the wings.

Power play has hardly improved statistically (about 1.3%) since the Kyrou trade. We don’t need two balanced units, just one elite one.

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
I think I read it's at 30% the last 5 games. So that's great. Gotta keep that pace up. I liked their puck movement a lot this weekend on it.

With some luck around the net they probably get 3or4 PPGs last night. Totally agree about Kyrou. 77 seems fine at it & he's got a big shot, but Kyrou is so elite at it & sometimes he doesn't even get a PP shift which is ridiculous.

They also should run PP2 thru DBB over Vilmanis because that kid can not hit the fricken net if his life depended on it lol. Thought their zone entries were really good too which is big. Hopefully can start being consistent on it. We aren't WSR. We won't score 5 5on5 goals a game. But if we can have a PP above 25% we will be more than fine, especially with our defense & hopefully a confident Gaudreau.

honeydripper

Mar 15, 2022
Still no idea why he isn’t quarterbacking power play 1. Not sure what the obsession is with 4 forwards and 1 D.

I’d have Kyrou and Del Mastro on the point. Kyrou to quarterback and Del Mastro with the heavy shot. Burke in front, Voit and Pastujov on the wings.

Power play has hardly improved statistically (about 1.3%) since the Kyrou trade. We don’t need two balanced units, just one elite one.
Totally agree. They shouldn’t need a PP2 if they use the one you described.

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019

What an OA yr for Burke. I'm not sure I've ever been more wrong about a Sting player in my life. Going into last yr I had him as a 4th liner if not dealt for a mid rd pick

2nd in FO%, 5th in goals despite missing 9 games. Always one of the hardest workers on the team. Plays with a chip on his shoulder. Does so much for this team. Gonna make a good push for 40Gs. Easily one of my favorites on the team if not my favorite because he doesn't have elite skills it's all heart, determination & effort.

Texcanuck

Nov 28, 2017
They also should run PP2 thru DBB over Vilmanis because that kid can not hit the fricken net if his life depended on it lol. Thought their zone entries were really good too which is big. Hopefully can start being consistent on it. We aren't WSR. We won't score 5 5on5 goals a game. But if we can have a PP above 25% we will be more than fine, especially with our defense & hopefully a confident Gaudreau.
I haven’t seen enough of DBB to make that call, but from my seat, Vilmanis is one of the best passers on the team, after Voit and probably Pastujov. He has tremendous ice vision. Unfortunately he hasn’t spent much time on a line with a finisher so he’s not logging a bunch of primary assists. And, for sure, he needs to work on shot accuracy and quicker release as we move forward.
DBB may be able to beat him out for his current role but he will have to earn it. And maybe in a couple weeks he will have done so.

Reactions: StingUpdates

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
I haven’t seen enough of DBB to make that call, but from my seat, Vilmanis is one of the best passers on the team, after Voit and probably Pastujov. He has tremendous ice vision. Unfortunately he hasn’t spent much time on a line with a finisher so he’s not logging a bunch of primary assists. And, for sure, he needs to work on shot accuracy and quicker release as we move forward.
DBB may be able to beat him out for his current role but he will have to earn it. And maybe in a couple weeks he will have done so.
I'd like to see them on a line together honestly. Feel for Vilmanis because I fully believe he'd be a 70+ Point guy if he played T6 with this group. He's spent so little time this year playing with any of the best Fs on the team.

Tells u how highly they think of him that he's the one they put on a line to carry it offensively, but I feel it's limiting him. Hopefully, he & Filak can get something going this weekend.

Texcanuck

Nov 28, 2017
I'd like to see them on a line together honestly. Feel for Vilmanis because I fully believe he'd be a 70+ Point guy if he played T6 with this group. He's spent so little time this year playing with any of the best Fs on the team.

Tells u how highly they think of him that he's the one they put on a line to carry it offensively, but I feel it's limiting him. Hopefully, he & Filak can get something going this weekend.
Remember, Vilmanis is only one of 4 forwards on this team born 2004 or later. When you see what that extra year (or 2, particularly in the case of Burke) does for a player, I still think he will be a beast next year. Just work on the shot…

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad