Sarnia Sting 2021-22 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
Agree the arena is better and they have been better in the community. However, in my opinion, winning is how you judge a team. Sure Hatcher helped them prepare for the NHL and thats great but like isn't that expected? IMO Sarnia's best teams came back when the Sting were at the Brock Street Barn. How many playoff series has Hatcher won?
I agree. Winning is #1 priority. I wasn't a fan of him as coach but how do u prepare for Kyrou & Ruzicka totally disappearing in the playoffs.

Just like how do u prepare for Konecny getting hurt in game 2 of a series that goes 7. Had some real unfortunate luck to go with his poor ability to adjust mid game.

I just don't look at the team right now & say F the owners. They've stepped aside. Letang was highly praised by guys like the Hunters/Hockey Canada. We have an extremely young/inexperienced forward group & it shows.

Reactions: robp1219

HkyBeegs3

Mar 18, 2009
Sarnia
I agree bad coach but he's been a solid owner. Has soaked a ton of money into the team.

Arena is miles better than it was before he arrived. Go listen to interviews with Kyrou, Rymsha, Rees, Perreault who all say Hatcher & Legwand helped them prepare for pro hockey well.

Not to mention the team has been night & day better in the city doing charity work & connecting with the community (pre covid) than with previous ownership.

And u can say what u want but we had are 2 best seasons in franchise history in the 5 years he's been here. Last but not least they've committed to keeping the team here.
What's so much better at the arena? Without atmosphere, energy and a successful team the upgrades mean squat! I enjoyed the games at the sarnia arena 20x more than any game I've been to at progressive. There were a few fun season at the new arena but that was in the early 2000s.

HkyBeegs3

Mar 18, 2009
Sarnia
I agree. Winning is #1 priority. I wasn't a fan of him as coach but how do u prepare for Kyrou & Ruzicka totally disappearing in the playoffs.

Just like how do u prepare for Konecny getting hurt in game 2 of a series that goes 7. Had some real unfortunate luck to go with his poor ability to adjust mid game.

I just don't look at the team right now & say F the owners. They've stepped aside. Letang was highly praised by guys like the Hunters/Hockey Canada. We have an extremely young/inexperienced forward group & it shows.
Doesn't really matter who praises who, the proof is in the pudding. Show me winning characteristics and habits. Show me structure. Show me hard decisions being made to benefit the team ie supryka. Supryka is teaching the young guys bad habits. Coach needs to address that before it becomes a cultural problem.

robp1219

Dec 22, 2015
What's so much better at the arena? Without atmosphere, energy and a successful team the upgrades mean squat! I enjoyed the games at the sarnia arena 20x more than any game I've been to at progressive. There were a few fun season at the new arena but that was in the early 2000s.
Atmosphere was probably better at the old arena because it can only hold 2300 and the barn was probably always full or close to it. Sting average about 2300 at home games and now they have to fill a 5000 seat arena. Same amount of people going , just at one barn it was full and the new barn it’s half or 3/4 full. Obviously a full barn would be more fun. I personally like the upgrades Atleast makes the arena look better and nicer. The lights are a huge improvement for watching the game especially if you have to watch it on cogeco lol.

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
The game vs London 2 weeks ago was electric. Especially the 3rd & OT. crowd was awesome.

The OHL isn't college. The atmospheres aren't gonna be nuts every game throughout the regular season.

As for hard decisions they've already put Supryka to pair 3 & cut his minutes. I feel like people are failing to realize we are FIVE games into the season. Super young team that didn't play at all last year. It is the least bit surprising they are starting slow.

Not to mention they've lost both assistant coaches before the season even started. So another reason why things aren't so smooth to start..

As someone mentioned earlier this week 3 of the 4 losses have been 1 goal defeats.. take a deep breath.

Last edited:

davewheeler

Dec 5, 2016

I'm not saying F them I was just saying they fell massively short of expectations. A few critical swings and misses on drafts. I feel like they just thought it would be easy for them because of who they are. Aside form arena updates, if you didn't tell me there was an ownership change I still would believe Cicarelli is still the owner. Honesty Sting still should have won the series vs Soo even without Koneckny.

davewheeler

Dec 5, 2016
The game vs London 2 weeks ago was electric. Especially the 3rd & OT. crowd was awesome.

The OHL isn't college. The atmospheres aren't gonna be nuts every game throughout the regular season.

As for hard decisions they've already put Supryka to pair 3 & cut his minutes. I feel like people are failing to realize we are FIVE games into the season. Super young team that didn't play at all last year. It is the least bit surprising they are starting slow.

Not to mention they've lost both assistant coaches before the season even started. So another reason why things aren't so smooth to start..

As someone mentioned earlier this week 3 of the 4 losses have been 1 goal defeats.. take a deep breath.
The only reason they are 1 goal losses is because our goalies stand on their heads....Sting get absolutely dominated in every aspect of the game... They hardly ever have the puck and have zero offensive creativity... sure you can look at a box score and see a one goal game and think its close.... when you watch the game and see the other team has the puck for 70% of the game it tells another story. Do you actually think this team will turn it around? if so geez.

davewheeler

Dec 5, 2016
Atmosphere was probably better at the old arena because it can only hold 2300 and the barn was probably always full or close to it. Sting average about 2300 at home games and now they have to fill a 5000 seat arena. Same amount of people going , just at one barn it was full and the new barn it’s half or 3/4 full. Obviously a full barn would be more fun. I personally like the upgrades Atleast makes the arena look better and nicer. The lights are a huge improvement for watching the game especially if you have to watch it on cogeco lol.
When the sting first moved into the SSEC the atmosphere was electric. Big crowds and close to sell outs every night. Then gradually everyone got tired of the losing.

HkyBeegs3

Mar 18, 2009
Sarnia
When the sting first moved into the SSEC the atmosphere was electric. Big crowds and close to sell outs every night. Then gradually everyone got tired of the losing.
I agree the atmosphere was electric when they first moved over, we had season tickets and it was such a blast to go to games! A real fun night out. It's almost like the mediocrity of the team has tempered the fans to a degree. Unfortunately with this franchise it will take a few solid years of growth development and winning to bring back those consistent energy filled and fun crowds! Winning breeds interest and excitement.

HkyBeegs3

Mar 18, 2009
Sarnia
By the way, I would love to be wrong about this team and I'll be the first to admit it, but it's the way they're losing and competing that concerns me. I saw some competitive games in the pre-season, but we all know the preseason means squat. Prove me wrong Sting.

Reactions: Ferda11

Ferda11

Feb 16, 2016
The only reason they are 1 goal losses is because our goalies stand on their heads....Sting get absolutely dominated in every aspect of the game... They hardly ever have the puck and have zero offensive creativity... sure you can look at a box score and see a one goal game and think its close.... when you watch the game and see the other team has the puck for 70% of the game it tells another story. Do you actually think this team will turn it around? if so geez.

I agree 100%. People pass judgement based off a scoreboard really have no true insight to the game that was played. Perfect example was the 2-1 loss to Guelph last weekend. Yeah we only lost by 1 goal but Guelph completely dummied us in every other aspect of the game. Again, goaltending is what saved us. Aside from the first game vs Windsor, the Sting have been manhandled in every other game, whether it was a 1 goal game or 4 goal game.

Last edited:
Reactions: davewheeler

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019

Can't say i love these lines but can't really blame him for shuffling the lines. Don't get why they refuse to split up Mast-Reesor.

Gonna need a good game from Gaudreau. London looks unbelievable so far. MacDonell & Vogelsberg hurt. Think they've missed Vogelsberg scoring touch quite a bit so far.

Reactions: SarniaStingFan

robp1219

Dec 22, 2015

Can't say i love these lines but can't really blame him for shuffling the lines. Don't get why they refuse to split up Mast-Reesor.

Gonna need a good game from Gaudreau. London looks unbelievable so far. MacDonell & Vogelsberg hurt. Think they've missed Vogelsberg scoring touch quite a bit so far.

If he’s going to keep mast and reesor paired together he better have them playing 35 minutes a night lol.

SarniaStingFan

Jul 28, 2020

What's been going on with MacDonell? He played the first 2 games, missed the next 2, played last Friday, and is out again tonight. Did he get injured on the 1st weekend of the season and then reinjure it last Friday?

HkyBeegs3

Mar 18, 2009
Sarnia
Would be nice to have injury updates from the team........

Predictions on this game tonight?

I'm gonna say 5-3 bad guys

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
Good god the PP sucks. 3 chances & they've got 1 good chance & allowed the tying goal. It's absolutely killing them

5on5 not a bad period. Had 3 breakaways which Hunter can't be happy about lol.

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019

Wow O'Donnell!!! Holy smokes what a goal. Namestnikov also picks up his 1st pt on the goal!

Outside of the 2 quick goals actually not a bad pediod. London has been surprisingly leaky in there own end. We need alot more from Guy & Dann.

Last edited:

robp1219

Dec 22, 2015
Stings powerplay is down right embarrassing, they got owned in the first besides for a couple chances on London’s mistakes. They woke up after going down 3-1. Sting need to learn how to play 60 minutes. I’m hoping they have a good third and get the W, but not expecting it London looks good as always. They are so much better at the little things, knowing where to go when they don’t have the puck, knocking guys off the puck, stick work. And are way hungrier on loose picks and winning puck battles. Sting are terrible in the faceoff dot too, needs work.

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
Fire Supryka into the sun. Good f*ckin lord what a bad turnover at the worst time.

Letting DeGurse go was such a massive mistake. On so many levels.

Reactions: SarniaStingFan

robp1219

Dec 22, 2015
Fire Supryka into the sun. Good f*ckin lord what a bad turnover at the worst time.

Letting DeGurse go was such a massive mistake. On so many levels.
I agree terrible mistake there, but how many knights players have picked off passes from our defence and forwards. The entire team is coughing up the puck. They have no clue who to pass it to or where to be. It’s a mess. Knights are in mid season form we are in preseason still.

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
Frustrating game because it was there to be had. Sarnia had a ton of odd man rushes & made nothing of them. Same goes for the PP. Fluke goal & Supryka's pathetic turnover was the difference.

Didn't get enough from the top-6. Supryka has been beyond brutal but I've been super disappointed with Guy. Not even noticeable.

robp1219

Dec 22, 2015
Frustrating game because it was there to be had. Sarnia had a ton of odd man rushes & made nothing of them. Same goes for the PP. Fluke goal & Supryka's pathetic turnover was the difference.

Didn't get enough from the top-6. Supryka has been beyond brutal but I've been super disappointed with Guy. Not even noticeable.
Question is who the hell is our top 6? Voit and maybe burke, rest of the team is playing like bottom 6 players. Such sloppy hockey from us, and can’t play a full 60 minutes with heart is our biggest problem. Wish we didn’t trade Nolet.

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
Question is who the hell is our top 6? Voit and maybe burke, rest of the team is playing like bottom 6 players. Such sloppy hockey from us, and can’t play a full 60 minutes with heart is our biggest problem. Wish we didn’t trade Nolet.
I thought it was rather sloppy by both teams. But yah we turn it over way to much. I do not agree with Tarasevich on L4. My lines would be:

Voit-Hill-Tarasevich
Guy-Namestnikov-Dann
McIntyre-O'Donnell-Burke
Lalkin-Filak-Vogelsberg/MacDonell

robp1219

Dec 22, 2015
I thought it was rather sloppy by both teams. But yah we turn it over way to much. I do not agree with Tarasevich on L4. My lines would be:

Voit-Hill-Tarasevich
Guy-Namestnikov-Dann
McIntyre-O'Donnell-Burke
Lalkin-Filak-Vogelsberg/MacDonell
I thought we were a lot more sloppy and less aggressive, and yes I could agree with those lines but man we have way to many guys under 5’10 on our team it hurts us. Knights have lots of guys that are 6’0 that can fly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad