Sarnia Sting 2018-19 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
Dude, you go around to every team's threads posting that kids have signed NHL contracts so they won't be back as if it's guaranteed fact but every year there are OA's who are signed playing in the league. Last year Flint alone had TWO signed OA's returned to them. I don't have time to check every team's OA's and their contract status but I'm sure there was at least one other. Unlikely? Yes, but it happens. Every year.

"Dude", so just making sure I get this right. You felt the need to comment on how I "always do this" but then agreed with me at the end of the post that he likely won't be back? Okay got it.

And yes 2 guys got sent back to FLT. Of the what 40-50 guys who signed an ELC the year before, 2-3 got sent back to the OHL? Yes, that makes it extremely unlikely, which you already know and acknowledge because you agreed with me as you went on in that post lol

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
"Dude", so just making sure I get this right. You felt the need to comment on how I "always do this" but then agreed with me at the end of the post that he likely won't be back? Okay got it.

And yes 2 guys got sent back to FLT. Of the what 40-50 guys who signed an ELC the year before, 2-3 got sent back to the OHL? Yes, that makes it extremely unlikely, which you already know and acknowledge because you agreed with me as you went on in that post lol
I was trying to be nice because I generally agree with your posts and opinions. Whenever posters are discussing potential OA's, you'll post "Nope. He won't be back. He's signed his ELC". Which clearly doesn't mean a kid won't be back as every single season there are multiple kids playing in O as OA's with signed ELC's. Sure, it's an easy safe bet because of the odds but it doesn't exclude a kid from returning when discussing POTENTIAL returnees. I could post in every team's thread "you won't win the Robertson Cup this year" and I would be 95% correct but somebody is gonna win it this year.

Reactions: Tarantula

robp1219

Dec 22, 2015
Even though pezzetta has signed, I would not be surprised if he is back, I think he would benefit ALOT as an OA in the O, he could work on his skills and offensive game a lot in his OA year. Savevto say kyrou, ang, and dineen are gone tho

bobbygore

Jun 27, 2011
The Tyler Weiss pick obviously has turned out to be a major mistake by Sting management. Anyone know whether the Sting can still get a compensation pick for the fact that he was a first round no show ? Ifso what is the process to claim a new pick ?

Eamon5

Sep 1, 2007
The Tyler Weiss pick obviously has turned out to be a major mistake by Sting management. Anyone know whether the Sting can still get a compensation pick for the fact that he was a first round no show ? Ifso what is the process to claim a new pick ?
That ship has long sailed.

Reactions: TheCoach

InSuL1nImP

Feb 11, 2017
That's the problem with being a boarder city and having a team focus so heavily on American born players.

89bardown

Aug 8, 2018
Ontario
2018 roster projections and line combos, and predictions where the team will finish?

Hugo Leufvenius - Adam Ruzicka - Anthony Salinitri
Ryan McGregor - Franco Sproviero - Sean Josling
Brayden Guy - Jamieson Rees - Jacob Perreault
Cameron Hough - Justin McCombs - Curtis Egert

Colton Kammerer - Theo Calvas/Mitch Eliot
Kelton Hatcher - Nick Grima
Alexandre Hogue - Ashton Reesor/Marko Jakovljevic

Aidan Hughes
Ethan Langevin

I have Calvas and Eliot because I think they keep one and trade the other. I think Reesor/Jakovljevic will battle for sixth D

Graduates: Jordan Ernst, Jonathan Ang, Michael Pezzetta, Jordan Kyrou, Drake Rymsha, Connor Schlichting, Justin Fazio

I think Sarnia could get 6th or 7th in the West if goaltending holds up.

InSuL1nImP

Feb 11, 2017
Firstly I believe Rymsha will be back. Secondly there is no way they will put together a line of Guy/Rees, Perreault. They are all on the smaller side and Perreault might not even be on the team. Too bad we can't trade Hatcher. Sick of his lack of skills and stupid penalties. Third I don't believe Langevin will be the primary backup. It might be Coffin. There are a few Legionnaires players we could bring up too. Lastly the goaltending won't hold up this year we will be lucky to have a 7 or 8 seed.

MatthewsMoustache

Jul 2, 2018
Firstly I believe Rymsha will be back. Secondly there is no way they will put together a line of Guy/Rees, Perreault. They are all on the smaller side and Perreault might not even be on the team. Too bad we can't trade Hatcher. Sick of his lack of skills and stupid penalties. Third I don't believe Langevin will be the primary backup. It might be Coffin. There are a few Legionnaires players we could bring up too. Lastly the goaltending won't hold up this year we will be lucky to have a 7 or 8 seed.

not sure what your definition of the small size is. not sure why perreault wouldn't be on the team. i think with guy having 8 out of his 9 points being goals and 15 out of rees' 20 points were assists that those 2 would be a good match. then throw in a near 200 pound 16 year old and i think u have a solid line

InSuL1nImP

Feb 11, 2017
I was referring to their age & sizes being they might not be playing every night as I feel like there will be a lot of tinkering with the lines throughout the season. Last I heard he had committed but not yet signed. Glad to see that he did end up signing mi-May. Also 2 of the 3 are center's and 2 of the 3 shoot left.

89bardown

Aug 8, 2018
Ontario

I was referring to their age & sizes being they might not be playing every night as I feel like there will be a lot of tinkering with the lines throughout the season. Last I heard he had committed but not yet signed. Glad to see that he did end up signing mi-May. Also 2 of the 3 are center's and 2 of the 3 shoot left.

I'll try to address your response in order.

Regarding Rymsha, you would know more about the team than I would, but just from the little bit I saw of him and 30+ goals 70+ points and still property of the LA Kings I could see him earning a spot in the AHL. He could just as easily come back for an OA season. Regarding Perreault I suppose he could not play this year but I would bet they make sure their first round pick gets in the line-up. Especially losing so many forwards. Regarding Langevin, again you would probably know better than I would which one of Langevin and Coffin would come in as Hughes back up so I'll concede that one.

However I will say in regards to Perreault being a center and two of the three shooting left, Sean Josling is the only right winger returning. Rymsha is the only other right shot who played for them last year who could return and hes a center. Jacob Perreault is the only other right shot at forward in the organization that would likely play. So, I mean, I know two of them are C's but you only have one RW returning. Someone has to play right wing. Also lots of C's in AAA seem to become wingers at the OHL level. Just like some OHL C's become wingers at the NHL level. And you would have a max of three right handed shots at forward. So as the roster stands right now, you'd have to have one-two left shooting right wingers. And if you keep Perreault at centre then you'll need two-three left shots. Unless the team trades for some right wingers, but I was just projecting for what they have right now. I looked at the Legionnaires as you mentioned. They would have to bring in a 1999 or later, the only right shooting forwards they have available are Jake Vince and Greg Hay both 2000's. Josh Barraclough is a 1999 but is drafted by Peterborough. They have an underager on the team a 2002 Blake Butler but he was drafted by Sudbury. Brock Perry and Brett Corrigan are too old and Ethan Dupont and Alec Dekoning would require an overager spot. So if Hay and Vince are good enough they could fulfill the right shot right wing. Otherwise they would need to make a trade.

MatthewsMoustache

Jul 2, 2018

Regarding Rymsha, you would know more about the team than I would, but just from the little bit I saw of him and 30+ goals 70+ points and still property of the LA Kings I could see him earning a spot in the AHL. He could just as easily come back for an OA season. Regarding Perreault I suppose he could not play this year but I would bet they make sure their first round pick gets in the line-up. Especially losing so many forwards. Regarding Langevin, again you would probably know better than I would which one of Langevin and Coffin would come in as Hughes back up so I'll concede that one.

However I will say in regards to Perreault being a center and two of the three shooting left, Sean Josling is the only right winger returning. Rymsha is the only other right shot who played for them last year who could return and hes a center. Jacob Perreault is the only other right shot at forward in the organization that would likely play. So, I mean, I know two of them are C's but you only have one RW returning. Someone has to play right wing. Also lots of C's in AAA seem to become wingers at the OHL level. Just like some OHL C's become wingers at the NHL level. And you would have a max of three right handed shots at forward. So as the roster stands right now, you'd have to have one-two left shooting right wingers. And if you keep Perreault at centre then you'll need two-three left shots. Unless the team trades for some right wingers, but I was just projecting for what they have right now. I looked at the Legionnaires as you mentioned. They would have to bring in a 1999 or later, the only right shooting forwards they have available are Jake Vince and Greg Hay both 2000's. Josh Barraclough is a 1999 but is drafted by Peterborough. They have an underager on the team a 2002 Blake Butler but he was drafted by Sudbury. Brock Perry and Brett Corrigan are too old and Ethan Dupont and Alec Dekoning would require an overager spot. So if Hay and Vince are good enough they could fulfill the right shot right wing. Otherwise they would need to make a trade.

the thing with getting jr b guys is that all the young guys make those teams because they are drafted by other teams and better than most of the kids their age. but the older guys have usually committed themselves to focusing on their education and career path. it's tough to find a guy who played jr b as an 01 this past season who 1) isn't drafted to an ohl team and 2) is good enough to play. then there's the 00/99/98s who (most of the time) have plans for after hockey.

canadianbacon

Sep 28, 2015

I would think Greg Hay would have a good shot at cracking the roster given his progression. He had a solid camp with the Sting last season, led the Legionnaires in goals and second in points. Right handed shot, high IQ and very good defensively. He's also a 2000 which may be of benefit looking forward.

Regarding the backup goaltender position, if I was a betting man I'd give the nod to Langevin right now but it is too early to tell. Looking forward to camp.

For Perreault, I couldn't imagine a scenario where he doesn't play this year. First rounders are typically picked to be OHL ready and developed right away and everything I've seen and read indicates he is there.

InSuL1nImP

Feb 11, 2017
Very good points everybody. I just wanted to further justify my statement on Rymsha. Last year was the only full season he's ever played. Other than his rookie season and last year those were the only 2 seasons where he played 60+ games. He had an exceptional year last year however he took too many penalties both in the regular season and playoffs. Our goalie situation really depends on how hard Hughes trains this off-season. He had flashes of talent last year in a couple games but far too often he never showed up mentally to either begin the game or let one in early and that was the end of it. Coffin split starts with Barber last year for the Legionnaires. In the few games I did see him he was horrible and got pulled. I'm not sure it's in the best interest for the Sting to throw Langevin in right away. He needs to get consistent reps something neither Coffin or Hughes have been able to do in a Sting jersey which in my opinion is a huge reason for their lack development.

BoxerMax

Nov 6, 2010
I remember about 3 years ago everyone was saying that Fazio was not ready, or isn't good enough to be the Sting #1 goalie. Hughes has one problem. Confidence. If he can keep his confidence up, he will be one of the top goalies in the OHL. If not, Langevin will get a chance to prove himself this year.

As for Rymsha, he has played more than 60 games in 3 of his 4 OHL seasons.

Perreault will be on this team for sure this year.

As for Weiss, the Sting would have had to declare him defective 2 years ago.

Rees will be a beast this year. He might be the Sting's best player.

The Sting may have the best 2 way line in the OHL this season with McGregor, Josling and Hugo.

Hard to predict where this team finishes until we know the camp roster. But to throw out a guess right now, 5th or 6th in the conference.

Reactions: Texcanuck

Texcanuck

Nov 28, 2017
I remember about 3 years ago everyone was saying that Fazio was not ready, or isn't good enough to be the Sting #1 goalie. Hughes has one problem. Confidence. If he can keep his confidence up, he will be one of the top goalies in the OHL. If not, Langevin will get a chance to prove himself this year.

As for Rymsha, he has played more than 60 games in 3 of his 4 OHL seasons.

Perreault will be on this team for sure this year.

As for Weiss, the Sting would have had to declare him defective 2 years ago.

Rees will be a beast this year. He might be the Sting's best player.

The Sting may have the best 2 way line in the OHL this season with McGregor, Josling and Hugo.

Hard to predict where this team finishes until we know the camp roster. But to throw out a guess right now, 5th or 6th in the conference.
Agree 100% with your post, particularly regarding Hughes. Going to be a tough choice of Rymsha or Salinitri as 3rd O/A, since I believe they will have to keep Sproviero and Eliot.

Ferda11

Feb 16, 2016
so are u keeping 2 o/a forwards or 2 o/a defence

We keep 2 OA forwards and 1 OA D for sure.

I'm comfortable with the top 4 being Eliot, Grima, Hatcher and Kammerer. Hatcher has improved a lot and I do expect him to be at another level this year. Grima NEEDS to step up. Kammerer to me is going to be one of the best D in the league in the next 2 seasons. Eliot is a stud.

I think I'm happy with either Sali or Rymsha but one has to go to recoup picks. Franco is the heart of the team and we need his work ethic.

Reactions: Texcanuck

Texcanuck

Nov 28, 2017
We keep 2 OA forwards and 1 OA D for sure.

I'm comfortable with the top 4 being Eliot, Grima, Hatcher and Kammerer. Hatcher has improved a lot and I do expect him to be at another level this year. Grima NEEDS to step up. Kammerer to me is going to be one of the best D in the league in the next 2 seasons. Eliot is a stud.

I think I'm happy with either Sali or Rymsha but one has to go to recoup picks. Franco is the heart of the team and we need his work ethic.
Again, I agree 100%

Texcanuck

Nov 28, 2017
I also expect Jako to be the equivalent of Calvas by midseason. Same size, similar game...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad