Signing(s): Saquon Barkley signs 1-year deal with Giants

The Note

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 13, 2011
KCMO
"Art Stapleton of NorthJersey.com reports that Barkley’s incentives are tied to reaching 1,350 rushing yards, 11 total touchdowns and 65 receptions while the Giants also make the playoffs this season. Barkley’s career high in rushing yards is 1,312 and he has not reached either of the other milestones since his rookie season." - PFT.

Not just betting on himself, but betting on the team, too. Given the state of the rest of the conference another wild card berth shouldn't be out of the question at all.

Reactions: Elvis P

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
"Art Stapleton of NorthJersey.com reports that Barkley’s incentives are tied to reaching 1,350 rushing yards, 11 total touchdowns and 65 receptions while the Giants also make the playoffs this season. Barkley’s career high in rushing yards is 1,312 and he has not reached either of the other milestones since his rookie season." - PFT.

Not just betting on himself, but betting on the team, too. Given the state of the rest of the conference another wild card berth shouldn't be out of the question at all.
1350 yards rushing in 17 games is like 80 yards a game if he plays all 17 games. 65 receptions is 4 per game.

I had always proposed for both Barkley and Jacobs that their best offer from their teams would be X numbers of years with $22.2 mill guaranteed (value of 2023 and 2024 tags) plus incentives to get them an extra $3-4 mill per season based on incentives.

Seeing the deal is worth up to $11 mill. So, it's only $900K of incentives? Man, that is weak by his Agent. Figured, he could have gotten each of those 4 milestones worth $500K - $750 each at least, to give him a shot of up to $2 - $3 million as a minimum, which would have just been a max of like $13.1 million.

And does the contract contain a provision that he can't be tagged again for 2024? Have to get that in the deal.

Last edited:

TheAngryHank

Expert
May 28, 2008
1350 yards rushing in 17 games is like 80 yards a game if he plays all 17 games. 65 receptions is 4 per game.

I had always proposed for both Barkley and Jacobs that their best offer from their teams would be X numbers of years with $22.2 mill guaranteed (value of 2023 and 2024 tags) plus incentives to get them an extra $3-4 mill per season based on incentives.

Seeing the deal is worth up to $11 mill. So, it's only $900K of incentives? Man, that is weak by his Agent. Figured, he could have gotten each of those 4 milestones worth $500K - $750 each at least, to give him a shot of up to $2 - $3 million as a minimum, which would have just been a max of like $13.1 million.

And does the contract contain a provision that he can't be tagged again for 2024? Have to get that in the deal.
That's the market. I'm pretty sure I heard on the radio today they can tag him next season.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
That's the market. I'm pretty sure I heard on the radio today they can tag him next season.
That's bad. I mean, other big name players who got tagged, got it into their contracts that they couldn't be tagged again. It's a 20% bump for another tag. So, another $2 plus mill. So under $12.2 mill to tag him again.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
His heart obviously wasn’t in holding out of this is what he settled for after everything we’ve heard over the last week. At least take it into August where you don’t have to run drills in practice and whatnot.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
His heart obviously wasn’t in holding out of this is what he settled for after everything we’ve heard over the last week. At least take it into August where you don’t have to run drills in practice and whatnot.
Barkley is at least fortunate to have been a 2OA pick. $31 mill rookie deal. Made around $39 mill so far. This would get him to around $50 mill.

Jacobs is at $12 mill through 4 years. Is he likely to make another $38 mill to hit $50 mill in career earnings? $13 mill average per season for 3 years and his tag is $10.1 and even matching Barkley would leave him $27 mill behind.

Most RB today are not going to get to $50 mill at the rate RB market is. Seattle very likely ensured they won’t be paying Walker a big payday with the selection of Charbonnet in round 2.

Bijan can hit $50 since he was like the 7/8 OA pick so he’s getting around $30 mill on his rookie deal. Gibbs likely has a shot too.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad