Confirmed with Link: Sanford agrees to one-year contract (2m)

BadgersandBlues

Jun 6, 2011
It's about what I expected. I think he starts on the third line LW assuming he's not traded but Tarasenko is. He's Berglund 2.0 - underwhelming for large stretches then gets supernova hot and makes you believe there's more under the hood if only he could just figure it out. I'd like to see him get moved with Tarasenko if at all possible.

I'm not worried about Thomas. We're going to resign him to whatever it takes - Sundqvist will probably start the year on LTIR anyway, or we can simply run a 13/7/2 roster for awhile.

Reactions: Moose and Squirrel

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
This projected lineup leaves us with $2.28M in space to fill the X (which you would assume is Thomas).

Perron-ROR-Buch
Saad-Schenn-Kyrou
Sanford-X-Tarasenko
Clifford-Sunny-Barby
Mac

Krug-Faulk
Scandella-Parayko
Mikkola-Bort
Walman

Binner
Husso

That is far from an insulting 1 year offer to Thomas, who just turned 22 and is coming off a 12 point season (29 point pace). Realistically, that is a better deal for him than the likely 2 year offers we were willing to make. His results vs potential make it highly unlikely to reach a number both sides like on a 3+ year deal.

Now, this would mean running a 22 man lineup instead of 23 but this is assuming no additional moves and Sunny being ready for opening night. Neither of those seems like the most likely scenario. But I put this lineup together simply to illustrate that we are still able to make it work under the cap at a number that is absolutely fair for Thomas. Kostin is in the AHL for this lineup because I don't think he cracks the healthy starting lineup and I think they would rather see him play in the AHL for a month while this works out. But if you swap him into the forward group and put Mac/Clifford through waivers then you save a bit of cap space.

Reactions: JoshFromMO

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
Assuming players get paid twice monthly throughout the regular season (not sure of the process here) that means he'll get roughly $167,000 twice monthly for six months. Wouldn't it be nice if the CBA would allow us to pay him $34,000 on the 1st of the month and $300,000 on the 15th just so he gets the message that this is what it is like when you get hot for 2 weeks then cool off for the next two. In other words, make his pay as streaky as his play.

AjaxManifesto

Pro sports is becoming predictable and boring
Mar 9, 2016
St. Louis
I hope he breaks out of his mental limits and proves everyone wrong.

But alas, he will be this season's punching bag. Like Krug was last season's punching bag. The fans have their needs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad