Confirmed with Link: Sandin to Washington for Erik Gustafsson and 1st (BOS)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
Or... hear me out... he allowed all the irrational fans and media to get upset over nothing.
Let Sandin discuss his personal issues on his own.
When he says things, people jump on him and tell him to shut his mouth.
When he doesn't say things, people jump on him and tell him to reveal the irrelevant personal life struggles of his players.
It's obvious that what people really want is to jump on him and blame him for everything, regardless of what he does.

Niagara Bill

Oct 11, 2021
Or... hear me out... he allowed all the irrational fans and media to get upset over nothing.

Let Sandin discuss his personal issues on his own.
Or hear me out, take control of the message and stop all rumors hurting your players rep and his relationship with the fans. He is an asset of the team.
Do you want the player and his agent to control the narrative?

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
I always say I hated the trade the moment I heard it but, we cannot judge this yet. The Leafs simply were not in a position with so much on the line to develop him anymore. He's too bad defensively and they clearly value experience in the playoffs over him.

With all of that said, Timmins who we got for free basically produced the exact same way when he got here. I think that made them feel they had a cheaper RD version of Sandin in him. Timmins slowed down and so will Sandin.

Our defense could have been pretty young and stacked tbh with Sandin and Niemela on LD and Lilly and Timmins on RD, but I think they felt there was a log jam there and honestly, that D core with Rielly as well would be really poor defensively. That was why they chose to keep Lilly

When he says things, people jump on him and tell him to shut his mouth.
When he doesn't say things, people jump on him and tell him to reveal the irrelevant personal life struggles of his players.
It's obvious that what people really want is to jump on him and blame him for everything, regardless of what he does.

People hated Dubas before he ever was made GM simply because he was younger than them and more successful. They didn't feel he earned it. There was always only 1 way for him to shut up the haters and that was to have some success in the post season and at least go to the final 4 a few times. That hasn't happened so people feel empowered to continue.

If we lose in round 1, you will see people who are fans now saying he needs to be fired as they get emotional and let other fanbases troll them about Dubas and stuff. I think he needs to agree the team needs changes at that point to be re-signed, but I want him to be the guy who retools this roster.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Speaking on behalf of players doesn't seem like a good idea to me unless they want him to do that.

Sandin has talked to the media many times, his agent could have put out a statement, it is very simple.

Maybe this was discussed and this is how Sandin wanted to handle it.

Did you jump to conclusions with the Sandin contract as you are now? We don't have all the information and you are assigning blame, this topic seems like a good example that you shouldn't do that.

Reactions: Obo

acrobaticgoalie

Jun 18, 2014
Or hear me out, take control of the message and stop all rumors hurting your players rep and his relationship with the fans. He is an asset of the team.
Do you want the player and his agent to control the narrative?
How was Sandin's situation any different than every other RFA that holds out til the start of the season on their contract? It's not on any GM to control what media chooses to speculate on. I don't see other GMs saying anything other than "discussions are ongoing". The only difference is our media is like 10x bigger.

People need to stop believing all the crap that media spews and stop getting worked up over it. If the media was making Sandin look bad over the wait on a contract, shouldn't he be placing that anger over them and not the GM?

Reactions: Dekes For Days

Niagara Bill

Oct 11, 2021
How was Sandin's situation any different than every other RFA that holds out til the start of the season on their contract? It's not on any GM to control what media chooses to speculate on. I don't see other GMs saying anything other than "discussions are ongoing". The only difference is our media is like 10x bigger.

People need to stop believing all the crap that media spews and stop getting worked up over it. If the media was making Sandin look bad over the wait on a contract, shouldn't he be placing that anger over them and not the GM?
Sandin was not angry. He was interviewed in Washington and the subject came up and he explained the serious condition of his mom, which delayed his contract arrangements.
Dubas allowed the press to print otherwise, which is where you get your info from

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Sandin being distanced from the negotiations due to his emotional family stuff would definitely delay things, that also doesn't mean the two sides weren't potentially far apart on contract issues.

I doubt multiple members of the hockey media from tsn, Sportsnet, the athletic, the sun, ect all collectively decided to just make things up.....

Reactions: ACC1224

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
Sandin being distanced from the negotiations due to his emotional family stuff would definitely delay things, that also doesn't mean the two sides weren't potentially far apart on contract issues.
I doubt multiple members of the hockey media from tsn, Sportsnet, the athletic, the sun, ect all collectively decided to just make things up.....
The idea that Sandin couldn't sign a contract for 4 months because of it isn't really supported by anything.
His agent was doing the negotiating, and when he eventually signed, he was still in Sweden. So why couldn't be sign, if signing didn't require him to leave his mom?
There were clearly other things impacting the lack of signing.

Reactions: usernamezrhardtodo

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site

Did Sandin say anything to anyone?

Anyone have any Sandin quotes from last summer?

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002

Seems rather obvious that he had other things on his mind.

Reactions: notDatsyuk

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
I'm curious, what did you want to do with Sandin? Would he be in your playoff roster?

I'd have kept him for insurance.

It isn't like a 23 year old NHL defenseman is nearing end of career, but 40 year old NHL defenseman is.

Not sure why a 28th.-32nd. pick is that important in a year like this.

Obviously, Keefe didn't like him, so probably a good thing he's gone.
Though I do wonder what they're going to do with Liljegren when they re-sign Holl.

Dayjobdave

Apr 29, 2010
I thought Gustafson looked pretty good in the Florida game so he may contribute in the playoffs if we have some injuries.

To me, trading Sandin was maxing value for a player that would be in a reduced role next year, and signals a shift to a bit more defensive awareness and sandpaper on the back end. Time will tell, but the kid had promise that was going unrealized.

Havoc

Jul 25, 2009
I thought Gustafson looked pretty good in the Florida game so he may contribute in the playoffs if we have some injuries.

To me, trading Sandin was maxing value for a player that would be in a reduced role next year, and signals a shift to a bit more defensive awareness and sandpaper on the back end. Time will tell, but the kid had promise that was going unrealized.
sandin is averaging 2 hits per game but cool story on how he doesn't fit in bro. This trade is an epic fail in the Kadri level.

That area Scar lives where Simba was told he's not allowed to go is equivalent to the land of D that drafted Gustafsson. Journey man D now in our lineup to get us over the first round hurdle. Comedy

Havoc

Jul 25, 2009
Getting Boston's 1st for Sandin is equivalent to being okay with how your season played out because you received hand shake respect from Tampa after a game 7 loss.

This trade is a total L and anyone who thinks otherwise has no idea what they're talking about. Eklund would e5 this statement.

/thread (any post after this one has zero value)

Shooter2x

Nov 3, 2021
Getting Boston's 1st for Sandin is equivalent to being okay with how your season played out because you received hand shake respect from Tampa after a game 7 loss.

This trade is a total L and anyone who thinks otherwise has no idea what they're talking about. Eklund would e5 this statement.

+1 /thread

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS

Your opinion isn't that important there big guy.

Lemontree

Fire Dubas
Feb 12, 2018
It occurs to me that Gus could be brought to be in next years mix, possibly at less than than Sandin’s 23-24 salary.

Might not be a bad outcome.
Yeah but do you actually want him around next year? An offensive Dman that has only produced any meaningful offensive in 1 NHL season, since that he has been a journeyman bouncing from one basement dwelling team to another.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
Sandin was not angry. He was interviewed in Washington and the subject came up and he explained the serious condition of his mom, which delayed his contract arrangements.
Dubas allowed the press to print otherwise, which is where you get your info from

His agent negotiates his contract, not himself. Makes zero sense. Sounds more like making excuses to deflect. All it would delay is hypothetically his ability to actually put pen to paper, if that even requires being done in person any more. He could have agreed to a deal verbally long before then. We also have plenty of media reports to the contrary. Dubas has nothing to do with what the media prints and there’s too many for it to be fabrication. He’s saving face, nothing more. What he said plays a lot better than I felt entitled to more than I earned so I didn’t sign until I ran out of time/options.

Niagara Bill

Oct 11, 2021
His agent negotiates his contract, not himself. Makes zero sense. Sounds more like making excuses to deflect. All it would delay is hypothetically his ability to actually put pen to paper, if that even requires being done in person any more. He could have agreed to a deal verbally long before then. We also have plenty of media reports to the contrary. Dubas has nothing to do with what the media prints and there’s too many for it to be fabrication. He’s saving face, nothing more. What he said plays a lot better than I felt entitled to more than I earned so I didn’t sign until I ran out of time/options.
You could well be correct except for 1 item, Dubas has an effect on what the media prints and thus has the responsibility to clarify when it way off line.
Is Sandin doing revisionist history, maybe, but unlikely as he has nothing to gain now he is nit a Leaf.

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
I always say I hated the trade the moment I heard it but, we cannot judge this yet. The Leafs simply were not in a position with so much on the line to develop him anymore. He's too bad defensively and they clearly value experience in the playoffs over him.

With all of that said, Timmins who we got for free basically produced the exact same way when he got here. I think that made them feel they had a cheaper RD version of Sandin in him. Timmins slowed down and so will Sandin.

Our defense could have been pretty young and stacked tbh with Sandin and Niemela on LD and Lilly and Timmins on RD, but I think they felt there was a log jam there and honestly, that D core with Rielly as well would be really poor defensively. That was why they chose to keep Lilly
Niemela is RHD.

Interesting to see what the Leafs do with Gus in the off-season. Re-signed or lost to UFA?

We won't know the outcome of this trade until we see what happens with Gus and what the Leafs do with the 1st rounder from Boston. If they actually do use it to pick or move down to get more picks, it will take even longer to know the outcome of this trade.

As it stands, looking at the carousel of D as it is (including Timmins not having seen the ice in a month now), no doubt in my mind Sandin would hardly be drawing in these final games, and even less likely to play in the Playoffs. I'm sure that would have gone over with him like a lead balloon.

I wish him well, but as long as Keefe is the Coach, Sandin would not have gotten the opportunity he is currently getting Washington. If feels like we are already watching Keefe ruining Liljegren's development as well since the TDL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad