News Article: Sanderson NOT a Calder finalist.

Adele Dazeem

Oct 20, 2015
On an island
I will concede that Sanderson is not the fanciest player, he doesn't have the natural shake n bake, but I think he'll end up being viewed as among the best skaters in the league/world. Combine that with a strong head for the game, and you have a guy who will be a big reason for deep playoff runs.

In one season as a rookie he played like a 10-year veteran.

They can keep their Calder, Sanderson has ambitions for multiple Norris trophies.

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
I will concede that Sanderson is not the fanciest player, he doesn't have the natural shake n bake, but I think he'll end up being viewed as among the best skaters in the league/world. Combine that with a strong head for the game, and you have a guy who will be a big reason for deep playoff runs.

I feel like the shake and bake is there, but he just cares about the defensive side a lot. In the next few years, he will come back even stronger and faster, with more experience. He has great hands, great skating, and great passing, so the fancy moves and points should come.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Draft year and another year in any level is important. Not sure it works against either player though. Probably nothing but years after draft matters to most.

I still like Sanderson moving forward.
Not on this case, draft year is different but development years are identical

Both in their U17 yr in the USHL in 2018-19
Both in their U18 yr in the USHL in 2019-20
Both in NCAA as U19 in 2020-21
Both in NCAA as U20 in 2021-22
Both full time NHL as U21 in 2022-23

Neither player has had more or less development time at any level

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Sanderson is a better skater, but that’s Sanderson’s thing. I think Power had a better season. Power just looks like a star, I hope they turn out equal or with Jake being better but I think the sabers are going to get what they thought they had in Dahlin. Although Dahlin is starting to look great
Some lucky team will be getting Dahlin soon, I would imagine they can’t afford two guys like that going forward
I think Buffalo will keep both of them.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Sanderson was the better player this year. He IS a year older so credit to Power who I think is great. I like Sanderson's assertiveness moving forward ( for the record I would not have picked him at 5th). To me Power does NOT skate like a 5'10 NHL defenseman. He has great mobility for a big guy but it pales in comparison to Sanderson.

I think Power's ceiling is Hedman. I think Sanderson's ceiling is Neidermayer. Depends who you prefer I guess.
I was thinking of the same players as comparisons. Power as Hedman and Sanderson as Neiderayer. I hope Sanderson works out to be the future player we see.

thinkwild

Veni Vidi Toga
Jul 29, 2003
Ottawa
I keep thinking that Niedermayer is a bit of a high bar for Sanderson. That somewhere between Slavin and Heiskanen might be good enough. But, dare to dream. Sanderson may not yet be finished impressing the heck out of us.

Masked

(Super/star)
Apr 16, 2017
Parts unknown
I keep thinking that Niedermayer is a bit of a high bar for Sanderson. That somewhere between Slavin and Heiskanen might be good enough. But, dare to dream. Sanderson may not yet be finished impressing the heck out of us.

People tend to forget how disappointing Niedermayer's offensive numbers were for most of his time in New Jersey.

Assen na yo!

Masked

(Super/star)
Apr 16, 2017
Parts unknown
He was still the 8th highest scoring D in the NHL from 1992-2004

From 1992-3 to 2003-2004 I see him as 10th. His numbers in that time frame are pretty close to Eric Desjardins and Mathieu Schneider and far behind guys like MacInnis, Bourque and Blake.

Assen na yo!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad