News Article: Sanderson NOT a Calder finalist.

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road

SlapJack

Scum bag Sens
Dec 6, 2010
As expected. Surprised Power got a nom. Not that he didn't deserve it but the gap between him and Sanderson is minuscule and neither put up eye popping numbers. Figured Power would finish ahead of Jake though since he played more minutes and had a better plus minus

Reactions: Cosmix

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Not at all surprising, though imo he was better than Powers.

The fact that Sanderson had significantly better Defensive stats, played a primary role on the PK while Powers did not, and kept pace in production with Powers despite playing less on a team that scored significantly less should be enough, but watching the two play the nuance in how Sanderson plays like a 10 year vet and produces with minimal risk taking makes me really prefer his season,

Power is great and may very well become the better player, big D that can skate like him are unicorns, but give me Sanderson this year no questions asked.

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
As expected. Surprised Power got a nom. Not that he didn't deserve it but the gap between him and Sanderson is minuscule and neither put up eye popping numbers. Figured Power would finish ahead of Jake though since he played more minutes and had a better plus minus
and drafted higher most importantly.

also thread title sounds hella whiney.

Last edited:

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
I'm not even being a homer but Sanderson will be the best out of all these guys. Playing shut down defense and being such a mobile defender, he has such high IQ.

I hope he stays under the radar as we get him signed to a long term deal that has a low aav

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
If Reynolds is involved in the team moving forward our players will begin getting league wide recognition via RR’s promotion and marketing.

Reactions: Bileur

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
I'm not even being a homer but Sanderson will be the best out of all these guys. Playing shut down defense and being such a mobile defender, he has such high IQ.

I hope he stays under the radar as we get him signed to a long term deal that has a low aav

I can see that. I can also see Beniers being a 100 point, #1 C. And I can see Power being a perennial Norris candidate in a few years. What he did this year as a raw 19 year old is pretty impressive.

I'm thrilled with how Sanderson played this year and think he was better than Power. Power has that extra year of development on Jake though. It'll be interesting to see both of their careers play out.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Yeah, this was all about draft position. There's nothing separating powers and Sanderson
Power played about 5 minutes more at even strength, and had nearly double Sanderson's ES production, while being a +10 on the season. 2 minutes more per game overall. He was 10th overall in the entire league in ES time on ice.

That's a very, very large difference.

Sanderson had 9 more PP points, was definitely the better PP player, especially the last 1/3 of the season when he was the #1 PP QB.

They are very similar D, with extremely, extremely high upsides. Power was just given the reigns earlier. Don't think 1st overall vs. 5th overall had anything to do with it.

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
Power played about 5 minutes more at even strength, and had nearly double Sanderson's ES production, while being a +10 on the season. 2 minutes more per game overall. He was 10th overall in the entire league in ES time on ice.

That's a very, very large difference.

Sanderson had 9 more PP points, was definitely the better PP player, especially the last 1/3 of the season when he was the #1 PP QB.

They are very similar D, with extremely, extremely high upsides. Power was just given the reigns earlier. Don't think 1st overall vs. 5th overall had anything to do with it.
That's a better thought out way of putting it actually.

I think they're on the same level, but it's true, Sanderson was behind Chabot until injuries forced a change into the 1 position.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Power played about 5 minutes more at even strength, and had nearly double Sanderson's ES production, while being a +10 on the season. 2 minutes more per game overall.

That's a very large difference.

Very different roles, Sanderson was more of the shut down pair while Power was getting deployed more offensively 5v5.

Sanderson got a bit more PP because of Chabot and Chychrun getting hurt, but played a ton more pk,

Power still has the advantage in production 5v5 but the gap isn't as big when you normalize on mins played.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
I'm ok with it because this year was an outstanding group of rookies. Wyatt Johnston, Sanderson and Logan Thomson are all worthy candidates as is Mattias Macelli. It's just one of those years where there are a lot of excellent rookies

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
I am very happy with Sanderson and his first NHL season. He looks like a D that could be a challenger for the Norris some day. Great pick at $5. I don't care a lot about Calder trophy winners.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Not surprising. He's not a flashy point producer and doesn't carry the pedigree that Power does.

Skinner on the list is interesting. He's proving to be a bit of a problem for Edmonton imo. Just more pedestrian performance.

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
Danggg that Power looks good. Jake was great also but I think power will be the top dog in the NHL soon.

Woof. He's a great young player but he's got a waaayys to go to catch even young D (who are also still improving) like Makar, Heiskanen, Dahlin, Fox, etc..

Sanderson will hopefully approach the level of play of those guys as well in the coming years.

Hockeysawks

May 16, 2023
Woof. He's a great young player but he's got a waaayys to go to catch even young D (who are also still improving) like Makar, Heiskanen, Dahlin, Fox, etc..

Sanderson will hopefully approach the level of play of those guys as well in the coming years.

He’s Is 6’6” and skates like he is 5’10”. I love Sanderson but would make that trade in a second if given the choice

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
He’s Is 6’6” and skates like he is 5’10”. I love Sanderson but would make that trade in a second if given the choice

Sanderson was the better player this year. He IS a year older so credit to Power who I think is great. I like Sanderson's assertiveness moving forward ( for the record I would not have picked him at 5th). To me Power does NOT skate like a 5'10 NHL defenseman. He has great mobility for a big guy but it pales in comparison to Sanderson.

I think Power's ceiling is Hedman. I think Sanderson's ceiling is Neidermayer. Depends who you prefer I guess.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Sanderson was the better player this year. He IS a year older so credit to Power who I think is great. I like Sanderson's assertiveness moving forward ( for the record I would not have picked him at 5th). To me Power does NOT skate like a 5'10 NHL defenseman. He has great mobility for a big guy but it pales in comparison to Sanderson.

I think Power's ceiling is Hedman. I think Sanderson's ceiling is Neidermayer. Depends who you prefer I guess.
4 months older, both are 02 born, so they'd have played in the same age groups all the way up, only difference is Power got an extra year before getting drafted, but age shouldn't be a factor in evaluating them at this point.

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
4 months older, both are 02 born, so they'd have played in the same age groups all the way up, only difference is Power got an extra year before getting drafted, but age shouldn't be a factor in evaluating them at this point.

Draft year and another year in any level is important. Not sure it works against either player though. Probably nothing but years after draft matters to most.

I still like Sanderson moving forward.

Hockeysawks

May 16, 2023

Sanderson is a better skater, but that’s Sanderson’s thing. I think Power had a better season. Power just looks like a star, I hope they turn out equal or with Jake being better but I think the sabers are going to get what they thought they had in Dahlin. Although Dahlin is starting to look great
Some lucky team will be getting Dahlin soon, I would imagine they can’t afford two guys like that going forward

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad