San Jose Sharks Trade History: Best and Worst Trades of All-Time

37 others

Apr 18, 2017
Do you guys remember if Craig Rivet ever played a big role with us? We traded a 2007 first (who turned into Max Pacioretty) for Rivet and 5th and flipped him a season and a half later for two second round picks.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Do you guys remember if Craig Rivet ever played a big role with us? We traded a 2007 first (who turned into Max Pacioretty) for Rivet and 5th and flipped him a season and a half later for two second round picks.

He was a top four that they needed but just wasn't good enough for the role really.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC

And those picks went on to be Will Wrenn (09) and traded to Carolina in the package for Nic Wallin (2010). Woo.

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
I believed in Strelow. I wanted to keep Kipper.

I can't remember if Strelow was still alive at this point but if he was... Do you think DW would do a goalie trade against Strelows wishes? I don't see that as realistic. No one in their right mind wanted Kipper over the other 2 at the beginning of that season.

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017

Rivet was a very good player for the sharks during his short time. Pretty sure he was their #1 D during that time and that he didn't want to be traded.

Reactions: Hangemhigh

Hockeyville USA

Dec 30, 2023
Central Ohio
Trading one broken player for another isn’t really a bad trade. Havlat was useful for one season, Heatley was awful for the Wild the whole time he was there.

Trading Brad Boyes for Curtis Brown was a terrible trade. The Owen Nolan trade looks awful because we didn’t keep Boyes. The Ehrhoff trade was also absolutely terrible.
Sharks win a Cup if they keep Brad Boyes IMHO.

Reactions: Hangemhigh

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose
No, but the cap space was the value in the return, because we used that for Heatley.
Sure, but those are 2 separate transactions. On its own, it's still not a good return for Ehrhoff. We're talking about best and worst individual trades as opposed to a holistic view of team building per season.

Reactions: Sharksrule04

tiburon12

Jul 18, 2009
Sure, but those are 2 separate transactions. On its own, it's still not a good return for Ehrhoff. We're talking about best and worst individual trades as opposed to a holistic view of team building per season.
Yea i know, but the cap space was still part of the return regardless, even if what they did with it is separate.

Reactions: Lebanezer

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose
If there's one trade I could undo, it'd be the Thornton trade. Sharks hitched their ride to a lame horse. It was a handicap they couldn't overcome.
We're all well versed in your opinions about Thornton, but your complaint is about Thornton and not the trade. The trade for Thornton was good. Beyond his individual shortcomings, which at times, were frustrating, the fact that the Sharks never won a cup in his entire tenure does not fall entirely upon his shoulders.

sharks_dynasty

Oct 25, 2006
San Jose, CA
If there's one trade I could undo, it'd be the Thornton trade. Sharks hitched their ride to a lame horse. It was a handicap they couldn't overcome.
That’s the most ridiculous take I have ever heard. I’d trade for a hall of fame player any day of the week. It’s not his fault they couldn’t build a great team around him.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
We're all well versed in your opinions about Thornton, but your complaint is about Thornton and not the trade. The trade for Thornton was good. Beyond his individual shortcomings, which at times, were frustrating, the fact that the Sharks never won a cup in his entire tenure does not fall entirely upon his shoulders.
I see your points, but ultimately, the Sharks decided that Thornton could be their #1 guy. That was the fatal mistake, and the #1 reason the Sharks haven't yet won a cup.

Ultimately, I'm not separating the trade follow-on effects.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I didn't see the article... the Karlsson one was up there for me.

Not only would we have had our top two Centres in Stutzle and Norris, but we could potentially have avoided best part of a decade's rebuild...

Hypotheticals, I admit. But them be the 'what ifs...'
The Kane trade played a part in this as well which turned out pretty damn bad because of this eventuality. If we had let Kane walk like we should have, the Karlsson trade would've sent a 2019 1st round pick instead of the 2020 1st round pick and then that Karlsson trade looks much better than what it does now.

Skeksis25

Feb 17, 2023
DW's trade ups in the draft often had a lot of regret, specially because of the players he passed on to grab his guy. Trading up for Steve Bernier, when guys like Parise, Getzlaf and Burns went right after. Trading up for Devin Setoguchi instead of Anze Kopitar. Even a few that he traded up for that didn't have impact players right after like Lukas Kaspar or Mirco Muller were still wasted trade ups. I don't blame him too much for giving away endless first rounders for rentals when we were trying to compete, cause he was trying to do what he could to get us a Cup.

Skeksis25

Feb 17, 2023
I was so excited to get Karlsson. He was always my favourite non Shark player in the league. Who would have predicted that we would collapse all the way to 3rd overall. Another way DW messed up the draft with us. Every trade nowadays I see has draft pick protections and DW couldn't get one in that?

matt trick

Jun 12, 2007
I thought those who were against the EK trade were bonkers. Boy was I clearly wrong.
That said, if we hadn't signed Kane (saving the cap room for Pavs), and somehow picked up Stuzle, things may have changed having a first liner on an ELC.

2021 roster: Thornton, Couture, Pavs, Hertl, Meier, Stuzle, Labanc, Goodrow, Karlsson, Burns, Ferraro, Dillon, Simek. Probably not good enough to change fate, but adding Pavs and Stuzle for Kane would have filled a leadership vacuum while providing key forward depth.

Hockeyville USA

Dec 30, 2023
Central Ohio
DW's trade ups in the draft often had a lot of regret, specially because of the players he passed on to grab his guy. Trading up for Steve Bernier, when guys like Parise, Getzlaf and Burns went right after. Trading up for Devin Setoguchi instead of Anze Kopitar. Even a few that he traded up for that didn't have impact players right after like Lukas Kaspar or Mirco Muller were still wasted trade ups. I don't blame him too much for giving away endless first rounders for rentals when we were trying to compete, cause he was trying to do what he could to get us a Cup.
Imagine prime Suter and Parise on the Sharks, on cheap deals. But then again, butterfly effect from not drafting Michalek and Bernier might mean no Thornton trade.

But if we assume Thornton trade still happens, you gotta think there are more Conference Final & Cup Final appearances with Suter & Parise on the Sharks from 2006 through 2012, probably a Cup at some point

I will always say the Ehrhoff trade was the worst. God awful return for a young Dman who was putting up points.
Ehrhoff trade is even worse due to the fact they traded him to a conference rival who took out the Sharks in 2011. Should have just traded him to the Islanders or Blue Jackets for a solid draft pick

one2gamble

Dec 24, 2007
I would almost argue the Kane signing, and Kane release are equally bad and deserving of a top 5 in this argument.

The release is not a trade but you let a top 6, arguably top line power forward leave without any return. Combine that with the signing which cost them a #3 pick and I would argue "Kane" was the biggest mistake and setback this team has made in the modern era.

hockfan1991

Jun 29, 2010
Worst was the owen nolan trade.
Everyone loved Nolan even though he was a D. Hes a bit nicer now. But they did get boyds, who unfortunately only played a game went on to be a consistent 30 goals scorer. we did get mcaughly 20 goal scores and a 1st. the value was there.

Last edited:

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Everyone loved Nolan even though he was a D. Hes a bit nicer now. But they did get boyds, who unfortunately only played a game went on to be a consistent 30 goals scorer. we did get mcaughly 20 goal scores and a 1st. the value was there.
Boyes had two 30 goal seasons but it was still better than what we got for him. Renting Curtis Brown to provide next to nothing in terms of depth. That was always a terrible trade. McCauley could've been better but he wasn't and shouldn't have been the piece that mattered in that return.

Shark in Hockeytown

Jul 18, 2021
Ehrhoff trade is even worse due to the fact they traded him to a conference rival who took out the Sharks in 2011. Should have just traded him to the Islanders or Blue Jackets for a solid draft pick

The Ehrhoff trade was a salary dump, one of the first in the NHL. Blame it on Wilson's desire to trade for Danny Fricken' Heatley.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad