Prospect Info: San Jose Sharks top prospect

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
So I did this last year, but we didn't finish in time. Anyway who do you feel is San Jose's top prospect?

(If you feel someone should be included in the poll, go ahead and comment and I will try to work him in the next poll.)

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
Whose standards are we going with? Because by HF rules it would be Hertl and he's far and away the best of the group. If we're going by the NHL rules, I'd be split between Mueller and Goldobin probably. Maybe Tierney. I dunno man.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Whose standards are we going with? Because by HF rules it would be Hertl and he's far and away the best of the group. If we're going by the NHL rules, I'd be split between Mueller and Goldobin probably. Maybe Tierney. I dunno man.

I didn't want to include Hertl and Nieto since both of them were top 6 players in the NHL this year for most of the year.

AgentCooper

May 10, 2009
Boston
Voted Mueller since he has a relatively high ceiling AND a high potential to meet it. I could see this board going Goldobin though since he's flashy and since Mueller gets hated on by those frustrated with DW.

WantonAbandon

Oct 16, 2011
Ahem, Hertl is still a prospect at this point. If you insist on refusing on counting him, it would be Mirco

Last edited:

sr228

Sep 16, 2007
I'm a bit torn between Mueller & Goldobin.

If Goldobin "hits" he could be a star but there's quite a bit of risk with him.

I think Mueller is pretty much guaranteed to be an NHLer and if he 'hits' could top out as a #3 (maybe, maybe a #2 though I think it's not very likely) which is still really good.

I think I'd pick Goldobin as the top prospect right now.

WantonAbandon

Oct 16, 2011
I'm a bit torn between Mueller & Goldobin.

If Goldobin "hits" he could be a star but there's quite a bit of risk with him.

I think Mueller is pretty much guaranteed to be an NHLer and if he 'hits' could top out as a #3 (maybe, maybe a #2 though I think it's not very likely) which is still really good.

I think I'd pick Goldobin as the top prospect right now.

Well at this point, I'd say the odds of Mirco cracking the roster surpass Goldobin despite Mirco being a defensemen. Goldobin could work out, but it appears he is a high risk pick.

Vaasa

Aug 23, 2006
Sacramento, CA
How do you define "top prospect"? Is it the one with the highest potential upside? Or the one with the highest likely upside?

If it's potential, it's probably Goldobin. If it's likely, it's probably Mueller, Abeltshauser, or Tierney.

matt trick

Jun 12, 2007
Goldobin, by far the highest potential. I agree that Mueller will be an NHL player, the question is- will he be like Huskins or like Vlasic, but despite being Russian and maybe a little undersized (more underweight than anything), I don't think he has high bust potential. Great playmaker, great dangle, good shot, above average speed- that's a pretty explosive package, and he's 5'11.5, not 5'9.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
It's easily Goldobin. He might be an NHL 1st liner or he might be a KHL 1st liner, but he had some upside. Muller doesn't project to be anything more than a decent #4.

druncan

Mar 8, 2006
the city
I viewed it as most likely to contribute to the NHL next (or "most NHL ready"), so went with KA. Not the highest upside, but if I was picking one guy from the list to make the team next year I think it's Konrad.

I'm in this line. I want to give Goldobin a year before naming him the top prospect in the system, but he definitely has the potential and skill to be it right now. As for Konrad v. Mirco, I see the former as being closer to NHL ready as well. Konrad can be a #4 or #5 whereas I don't see Mirco being more than a #3 or #4, so the difference, to me, isn't enough to put Mirco at the top spot.

Episkey

Nitrox
Mar 12, 2013
California
I voted Mueller. I think he is closer to cracking the lineup than Goldobin and has some decent top-4 pairing potential. Give it a year and I think it will be Goldobin.

magic school bus

Jun 4, 2010
San Jose, CA
I viewed it as most likely to contribute to the NHL next (or "most NHL ready"), so went with KA. Not the highest upside, but if I was picking one guy from the list to make the team next year I think it's Konrad.

By that logic, you would take KA over McDavid? Take who you think is the best prospect, regardless of TOA.

Coy

Feb 25, 2014
SF
I picked Goldobin because if he hits the potential I think he has he will be much better than any of these guys.

hockeyball

Nov 10, 2007
It's easily Goldobin. He might be an NHL 1st liner or he might be a KHL 1st liner, but he had some upside. Muller doesn't project to be anything more than a decent #4.

I would think the Sharks org would argue different.

I'm pretty sure they expect a solid #2 dman out of him.

CrazedZooChimp

Not enough guts
Aug 3, 2005
Bay Area, CA
www.Coaster101.com
By that logic, you would take KA over McDavid? Take who you think is the best prospect, regardless of TOA.

Not exactly, I'm weighing both upside and likelihood of making the team, basically doing the same thing that HF does in terms of giving players a score and a grade, I'm just putting more weight on the grade half (the chance of success). Goldobin has more upside, I'm not arguing that (Mueller too, I think). But I'm very confident KA will be in the NHL for us soon, I'm less confident Goldobin will be an NHL player. If he were a future hall-of-famer, he'd probably be likely to start in the NHL this year (like many top-5 picks) and I'd likely have picked him. But he's not, he's at least a year, maybe more, away.

But hey, you can vote however you want. I've just seen us bust enough that I'm excited when the Worcester guys say one of our prospects is solid and looks like he's at least close to NHL ready, unlike a lot of our past D prospects with high hopes :laugh:

magic school bus

Jun 4, 2010
San Jose, CA
Not exactly, I'm weighing both upside and likelihood of making the team, basically doing the same thing that HF does in terms of giving players a score and a grade, I'm just putting more weight on the grade half (the chance of success). Goldobin has more upside, I'm not arguing that (Mueller too, I think). But I'm very confident KA will be in the NHL for us soon, I'm less confident Goldobin will be an NHL player. If he were a future hall-of-famer, he'd probably be likely to start in the NHL this year (like many top-5 picks) and I'd likely have picked him. But he's not, he's at least a year, maybe more, away.

But hey, you can vote however you want. I've just seen us bust enough that I'm excited when the Worcester guys say one of our prospects is solid and looks like he's at least close to NHL ready, unlike a lot of our past D prospects with high hopes :laugh:

I'd imagine Goldobin will be given something like a 7.5C, 7.0C or 7.5D. I'd take all of those over Konrad's 6.5C or 6.5B.

Edit: Excuse me, Konrad's grade is a 7.0C. (So not really any more likely to make it)

Kitten Mittons

Nov 18, 2007
What's the question though? Who has the highest potential or has the highest chance of making the roster or playing most NHL games?

Led Zappa

Tomorrow Today
Jan 8, 2007
Silicon Valley
What's the question though? Who has the highest potential or has the highest chance of making the roster or playing most NHL games?

This question comes up every time we have a poll like this and since we don't know when the votes came vs when the answer comes the poll is almost worthless.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad