Jul 17, 2012
California
1. Ryan Merkley-94.6%
2. John Leonard-45.9%
3. Ozzy Wiesblatt-37.5%
4. Alexei Melnichuk-26.4%
5. Joachim Blichfield-31.4%
6. Alex Chmelevski-43.2%

Let me know who I should add. Criteria for voting is whatever you want it to be. If you value just potential, vote for that. If you value just NHL readiness, vote for that. I imagine most of us will be a mix of many things.

I have Gregor and Ferraro as graduated last season.

Players I will add eventually (no order)
Dillon Hamaliuk
Jake McGrew
Lean Bergmann
Zach Gallant
Vladislav Kotkov
Nikolai Knyzhov
Zach Emond

Patty Ice

Straight to the Banc
Feb 27, 2002
Not California
Dahlen here for me and about where I would put him on my list...just outside the top 5. His commitment is my only issue with him right now. He is the most talented on the list (sans the new class but I usually like to wait a year). I remember the Pashelka report stating he wouldn't be coming over this season. Unless its a contract or visa issue, I don't see why he wouldn't when they sign him to a new deal. He is among the most NHL ready of the prospects, at least from a skill progression standpoint.

themelkman

Always Delivers
Apr 26, 2015
Calgary, Alberta
I wish I could vote Dahlen but Im not sold hes even going to stand a chance against quality competition after 2 years of having it very easy. Im going Bordeleau, I think he has a chance at being a very good third line center and maybe even a second

sharks_dynasty

Oct 25, 2006
San Jose, CA
A number of players look interesting at this range. Paschinuk may be competing for a spot on the roster. Hatakka has been playing against quality competition and is progressing nicely. Dahlen is tearing up the league he’s in. Kniazev looks promising. And the new kids all have breakout potential. Very difficult to choose indeed.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Gets pretty murky from here.

Yep. We're officially at the point where you can probably make a case for 6-10 different players based on how you rank your criteria and while others might disagree, you wouldn't be unequivocally "wrong" no matter who you choose.

We're also at the point where basically every prospect worthy of consideration offers at least one clear-cut positive/reason-for-optimism and one negative/reason-for-pessimism.

For me I'm having to choose among Dahlen, Chekhovich, Pasichnuk, and Robins/Bordelau.

For Dahlen the plus is he's more polished and he has pedigree and a decent track record of success, but you have to question his commitment. Does he even want to be here (the NHL system in general, not the Sharks. It seems like he's waiting to be handed a chance to step right onto the big league roster without any more AHL time, and that kind of 'I don't do minor leagues' attitude, real or just perceived, isn't a point in his favor.

Chekhovich has the highest highs. He destroyed the Q and looked good in his first couple brief stints with the Cuda. He also has the fact that he represents something of a rarity for the Sharks' system: pure, unadulterated offensive skill. But his last season is a big question mark. Did the league adjust to him? Or was he simply caught off guard? More than most, 20/21 is going to be a big flex point in his development path. If he rebounds he's a "real" prospect again. If he falters that's probably the end of the line for him as a player of consideration.

Robins/Bordelau are riding high off recency bias and being skill players in a system that lacks a lot of that. But they're also small in a league that is better for smaller players than it used to be, but still leans away from guys who slide too far under the 6-foot bar. Plus the issue of having less developmental history than everyone else making them bigger wild cards.

Pasichnuk is older, has had success, and seems to be well liked by the org, but he's also a College FA, a class of prospect that generally creates more top end hype than ends up being justifiable (just look back at some of the biggest kids of that type who got tons of attention for sticking it out to graduation and getting to choose their destiny. The Justin Schultzes, Matt Gilroys, Danny DeKeyesers, and Will Butchers of the world, among others. Not to say that none of them are viable NHLers, but they incited frantic attention and competition to sign them and their careers to date have ranged from "ok, but not earth-shattering" to being out of the league within a few short seasons.

Personally I think I'm going to go with Chekhovich. Yes he had a terrible season, but I'm not giving up yet. 1 data point is not a pattern (even if that 1 point is actually like 60+ smaller points) and it's going to take more than just a single bump in the road in his development to scare me off a kid with legit scoring wing skill. Now if he tanks in Russia this season or decides not to come back if/when the Cuda start up, or if he returns to the North American fold and falters once again, then I'm all for souring on him. But until then I'll believe he still has potential.

DG93

Jun 29, 2010
San Jose
Yep. We're officially at the point where you can probably make a case for 6-10 different players based on how you rank your criteria and while others might disagree, you wouldn't be unequivocally "wrong" no matter who you choose.

We're also at the point where basically every prospect worthy of consideration offers at least one clear-cut positive/reason-for-optimism and one negative/reason-for-pessimism.

For me I'm having to choose among Dahlen, Chekhovich, Pasichnuk, and Robins/Bordelau.

For Dahlen the plus is he's more polished and he has pedigree and a decent track record of success, but you have to question his commitment. Does he even want to be here (the NHL system in general, not the Sharks. It seems like he's waiting to be handed a chance to step right onto the big league roster without any more AHL time, and that kind of 'I don't do minor leagues' attitude, real or just perceived, isn't a point in his favor.

Chekhovich has the highest highs. He destroyed the Q and looked good in his first couple brief stints with the Cuda. He also has the fact that he represents something of a rarity for the Sharks' system: pure, unadulterated offensive skill. But his last season is a big question mark. Did the league adjust to him? Or was he simply caught off guard? More than most, 20/21 is going to be a big flex point in his development path. If he rebounds he's a "real" prospect again. If he falters that's probably the end of the line for him as a player of consideration.

Robins/Bordelau are riding high off recency bias and being skill players in a system that lacks a lot of that. But they're also small in a league that is better for smaller players than it used to be, but still leans away from guys who slide too far under the 6-foot bar. Plus the issue of having less developmental history than everyone else making them bigger wild cards.

Pasichnuk is older, has had success, and seems to be well liked by the org, but he's also a College FA, a class of prospect that generally creates more top end hype than ends up being justifiable (just look back at some of the biggest kids of that type who got tons of attention for sticking it out to graduation and getting to choose their destiny. The Justin Schultzes, Matt Gilroys, Danny DeKeyesers, and Will Butchers of the world, among others. Not to say that none of them are viable NHLers, but they incited frantic attention and competition to sign them and their careers to date have ranged from "ok, but not earth-shattering" to being out of the league within a few short seasons.

Personally I think I'm going to go with Chekhovich. Yes he had a terrible season, but I'm not giving up yet. 1 data point is not a pattern (even if that 1 point is actually like 60+ smaller points) and it's going to take more than just a single bump in the road in his development to scare me off a kid with legit scoring wing skill. Now if he tanks in Russia this season or decides not to come back if/when the Cuda start up, or if he returns to the North American fold and falters once again, then I'm all for souring on him. But until then I'll believe he still has potential.

You are of course much more knowledgeable than me regarding prospects, but from the little I read, it seemed like Robins uses his size well even if he is on the smaller side. Was hoping to ask you if I'm totally off base there. I like his upside a lot and voted for him here.

Reactions: sharks_dynasty

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
You are of course much more knowledgeable than me regarding prospects, but from the little I read, it seemed like Robins uses his size well even if he is on the smaller side. Was hoping to ask you if I'm totally off base there. I like his upside a lot and voted for him here.

I haven't seen him play. The disadvantage of the WHL structure is that inter-conference play is extremely limited due to travel costs. So generally speaking teams only cross over and play the teams in the other conference once per season (either home or away, not both). So the Giants only played the Blades in Saskatoon last season, there was no game here for me to watch.

honestly the only reason I've seen Wiesblatt more than once is because Vancouver/Prince Albert was the WHL final 2 years ago during Ozzy's age-16 season.

If there is a publicy-attendable 20/21 WHL season maybe I'll get to see Robins, but I have my doubts as they would still want to limit travel to address potential covid spread and trucking the teams from Manitoba/Saskatchewan halfway across the country would be a bit of a trip. Of course the WHL also has to deal with the fact that it has like 7 US teams as well and shuttling across the border is a likely no-go, as might be trying to find temp homes for all of those teams in BC (though I suppose they could make use of BCHL arenas or other vacant smaller capacity rinks and have something of a major hub around Vancouver/Burnaby/Surrey/Langley/Chilliwack/Abbotsford. If they're planning on limiting fan attendance there wouldn't be an issue with housing a team in a 1,000-seat Jr A areana near aside from the fact that it's like 60 years old and kind of a dump because the city basically has to pay to maintain it mostly for use as a public rink or home to youth hockey programs

I'm getting a little distant from the actual topic that we were talking about though. :laugh:

DG93

Jun 29, 2010
San Jose
I haven't seen him play. The disadvantage of the WHL structure is that inter-conference play is extremely limited due to travel costs. So generally speaking teams only cross over and play the teams in the other conference once per season (either home or away, not both). So the Giants only played the Blades in Saskatoon last season, there was no game here for me to watch.

honestly the only reason I've seen Wiesblatt more than once is because Vancouver/Prince Albert was the WHL final 2 years ago during Ozzy's age-16 season.

If there is a publicy-attendable 20/21 WHL season maybe I'll get to see Robins, but I have my doubts as they would still want to limit travel to address potential covid spread and trucking the teams from Manitoba/Saskatchewan halfway across the country would be a bit of a trip. Of course the WHL also has to deal with the fact that it has like 7 US teams as well and shuttling across the border is a likely no-go, as might be trying to find temp homes for all of those teams in BC (though I suppose they could make use of BCHL arenas or other vacant smaller capacity rinks and have something of a major hub around Vancouver/Burnaby/Surrey/Langley/Chilliwack/Abbotsford. If they're planning on limiting fan attendance there wouldn't be an issue with housing a team in a 1,000-seat Jr A areana near aside from the fact that it's like 60 years old and kind of a dump because the city basically has to pay to maintain it mostly for use as a public rink or home to youth hockey programs

I'm getting a little distant from the actual topic that we were talking about though. :laugh:

Gotcha, and very interesting...I appreciate the intel haha

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002

When you look at just the Sharks's history, Tom Preissing stands out as an older, college FA who was an impactful NHLer.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
When you look at just the Sharks's history, Tom Preissing stands out as an older, college FA who was an impactful NHLer.

I'm not saying it never happens, but it seems like the hit rate on these types of players is often far below the hype that they generate. And for as useful as Preissing was, his end result (like 4 full NHL seasons, only a couple of which were really, really good) is kind of a low bar. Any player like that is valuable, but is it 'this is a noteworthy prospect we should all pay attention to' valuable?

themelkman

Always Delivers
Apr 26, 2015
Calgary, Alberta
I'm not saying it never happens, but it seems like the hit rate on these types of players is often far below the hype that they generate. And for as useful as Preissing was, his end result (like 4 full NHL seasons, only a couple of which were really, really good) is kind of a low bar. Any player like that is valuable, but is it 'this is a noteworthy prospect we should all pay attention to' valuable?
Too many times those guys get hyped and go no where. Shortridge is one that comes to mind when he was the best NCAA goalie and was pretty bad for us and was outplayed by a Canadian University guy

Alaskanice

Sep 23, 2009
1 1/2 hours away
Too many times those guys get hyped and go no where. Shortridge is one that comes to mind when he was the best NCAA goalie and was pretty bad for us and was outplayed by a Canadian University guy
Goalies are a peculiar lot. Remember Ray Emery? Jim Carrey?? It happens this way to every team. We are not exclusive.

Reactions: themelkman

Alaskanice

Sep 23, 2009
1 1/2 hours away
I see what you mean. I do believe there’s a difference between those that are drafted and go to college mand those that are undrafted. Quite a high percentage of those undrafted then signed don’t amount to much.

Reactions: themelkman

Le Rosbeef

Jul 27, 2007

Honestly I think that could have been an apt description from pick 2 onwards...

I voted Bordeleau again and am willing to die on this kid's hill. If that skillset had 2 more inches in height, we'd have all been salivating. Smart player.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad