San Jose Sharks Number 2 Prospect

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
1. Ryan Merkley-94.6%

Let me know who I should add. Criteria for voting is whatever you want it to be. If you value just potential, vote for that. If you value just NHL readiness, vote for that. I imagine most of us will be a mix of many things.

I have Gregor and Ferraro as graduated last season.

Players I will add eventually (no order)
Ivan Chekhovich
Dillon Hamaliuk
Yegor Spiridonov
Brandon Coe
Santeri Hatakka
Daniil Gushchin
Dylan Gambrell​

themelkman

Always Delivers
Apr 26, 2015
Calgary, Alberta
This is tough. I want to say Leonard but I just dont think his game is going to make him a top sixer. Im going with Ozzy because I think hes got a shot at being a top six threat.

Levie

Mar 15, 2011
I'll go with Melnichuk because it's somewhat contrarian and think he has a real shot at being a starter. Don't think Leonard is good enough to be a top 6 on a cup winning team. Don't know anything about Wiesblatt.

PacificOceanPotion

Jun 19, 2009
I'm giving the edge to Blichfeld over Leonard right now. He's excelled in the pro's and had 3 games in the NHL. I also think he's gonna be a solid scoring threat for the big club sooner than later.

Patty Ice

Straight to the Banc
Feb 27, 2002
Not California
This one is kind of difficult all of a sudden

I agree. It's a close call between 4 guys but I think I have to break protocol for myself and give it to the Sharks fresh out the oven pick in Ozzy. I think there is an outside chance he could step right into a role on the team and contribute right away.

Add McGrew.

Cas

Conversational Black Hole
Sponsor
Jun 23, 2020
I went with Wiesblatt because of the combination of evaluation of his skills and his outstanding performance at a young age compared to the Sharks' remaining prospect pool (Merkley did outperform Wiesblatt at the same ages, but he's off the ballot now). I'll err on the side of upside with Wiesblatt.

Ibragimov should also be added to the poll at some point.

Reactions: themelkman

Erep

Jul 17, 2019
Ibragimov should also be added to the poll at some point.
I would not be surprised if he gets a shot with the Sharks later in the season. Of all the Sharks players I have been watching in European leagues, I think he has looked the best (other than maybe Melnichuk, but it is hard to compare goalies to skaters).

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
I think in this case, Wiesblatt, Leonard, bordeleau, robins, blichfeld, and melnichuk could make an argument for #2 and will do so all season.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
This one's a tougher call.

But I was the original captain of the Blichfeld hype train and I'm not letting it derail yet. Not until we get a live pro look at Leonard or a post-draft look at the new kids.

Reasonably you could potentially make a case for almost half that list and it wouldn't be indefensible.

Le Rosbeef

Jul 27, 2007
I went with Bordeleau - his upside is the highest of anyone on the board. He's not as close to the NHL as others are yet, but I think he tops out highest.

DG93

Jun 29, 2010
San Jose
I went Leonard just because of the season he just had. Would not be surprised if Ozzy passes him by next offseason

Not sure if this is the right thread to make this comment, but I'm a little surprised to see all this Ozzy hype. I'm relatively clueless regarding prospects, but from what I read, it's Robins and Bordeleau that have that potential upside to become solid 2nd liners whereas Ozzy is kind of your projected middle-6 tweener. While it's obviously impossible to project any of them right now, I'm still surprised that Ozzy is the guy whose name is being thrown around as shooting up all the way to the top of the prospect rankings.

themelkman

Always Delivers
Apr 26, 2015
Calgary, Alberta
Not sure if this is the right thread to make this comment, but I'm a little surprised to see all this Ozzy hype. I'm relatively clueless regarding prospects, but from what I read, it's Robins and Bordeleau that have that potential upside to become solid 2nd liners whereas Ozzy is kind of your projected middle-6 tweener. While it's obviously impossible to project any of them right now, I'm still surprised that Ozzy is the guy whose name is being thrown around as shooting up all the way to the top of the prospect rankings.
Ive seen a bit of both and I think Ozzy is a more dynamic offense guy than Robins. I think all three have very similar small shots at top 6 but are likely middle six

Reactions: BigDmitriy

Erep

Jul 17, 2019
Physicality, 2-way player, with a history of exceeding expectations.

He also just put up 70 points (only something like 14 secondary assists) on a team that only scored 210 goals, when the only other player in his draft year who scored more than 23 was Guhle (16th overall), so he has shown the ability to absolutely carry an offense.

Reactions: BigDmitriy

Levie

Mar 15, 2011
Physicality, 2-way player, with a history of exceeding expectations.

He also just put up 70 points (only something like 14 secondary assists) on a team that only scored 210 goals, when the only other player in his draft year who scored more than 23 was Guhle (16th overall), so he has shown the ability to absolutely carry an offense.
Don't forget the best controlled zone entry player in the draft according to many scouts.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad