1) Mirco Mueller-40.57%
2) Nikolai Goldobin-70.15%
3) Chris Tierney-52.70%
4) Konrad Abelthauser-68.00%
5) Julius Bergman-46.67%
6) Freddie Hamilton-27.69%
7) Michael Brodzinski-27.08%
8)Dan O'Regan-27.27%

Again, if anyone feels I have missed a prospect, please tell me and I will add him to the next poll.

SactoShark

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
May 1, 2009
Sacramento
Groesnick. Sounds like he's moved himself into the #1 role in Worcester. And I don't think Niemi is coming back for another term.

magic school bus

Jun 4, 2010
San Jose, CA
Really surprised O'Regan won that last one. He's small and he scored at about .6PPG in his 2rd year in college? On top of that, he had an NHL player on his line up until that point... makes you think

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
Really surprised O'Regan won that last one. He's small and he scored at about .6PPG in his 2rd year in college? On top of that, he had an NHL player on his line up until that point... makes you think

Nieto wasn't an NHL player at the time. Hell, he was barely an NHL player until halfway through this season. Anyways, O'Regan showed skill his freshman year but at this point, our prospect ranking should be more like tiers.

Le Rosbeef

Jul 27, 2007
We should hope Noah Rod, as a 2nd round draft pick, has more upside than 9th in our relatively weak prospect pool, no?

Sharksrule04

Jul 23, 2010
New York, NY
We should hope Noah Rod, as a 2nd round draft pick, has more upside than 9th in our relatively weak prospect pool, no?

He should be, but too many people here vote for "NHL Ready" level as opposed to max potential.

No way Tennyson should be getting votes over Rod. Tennyson will never be more than a #5/6 d-man, he's one of those guys who looks good in the levels he's playing at because he reached his max earlier than most, but he doesn't have a high ceiling.

Hamilton is another one with same situation. Neither one should have been above Rod IMO.

Rod should have probably been #6. I also think fans aren't familiar with him yet so they are hesitant to vote him. Its not like he's played in the CHL and had a ton of coverage, so basically people are just going off of the prospects game and the small amount of writing on him.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
He should be, but too many people here vote for "NHL Ready" level as opposed to max potential.

No way Tennyson should be getting votes over Rod. Tennyson will never be more than a #5/6 d-man, he's one of those guys who looks good in the levels he's playing at because he reached his max earlier than most, but he doesn't have a high ceiling.

Hamilton is another one with same situation. Neither one should have been above Rod IMO.

Rod should have probably been #6. I also think fans aren't familiar with him yet so they are hesitant to vote him. Its not like he's played in the CHL and had a ton of coverage, so basically people are just going off of the prospects game and the small amount of writing on him.
The reason I put it into a poll is so people can vote on who THEY feel is the top prospect. There are no boundaries to that. If they value NHL readiness more then that is what they will vote for.

boredatwork

Oct 7, 2013
I think a 5/6 pmd even with limited upside is more valuable in todays NHL than a 3rd liner with unknown potential. So I voted Tennyson over Rod.

Patty Ice

Straight to the Banc
Feb 27, 2002
Not California

I have Rod as a top 10 (I'd rank him right at 10). Want to see another year from him but I do think he has good potential and could break top 5 at the end of the year.

Sharksrule04

Jul 23, 2010
New York, NY
The reason I put it into a poll is so people can vote on who THEY feel is the top prospect. There are no boundaries to that. If they value NHL readiness more then that is what they will vote for.

I never said people can't vote for who THEY feel like voting for. I was simply giving the reason for why Rod isn't higher on our list.

That being said I still think it's ridiculous to vote for NHL readiness. 4th liners and 5/6 dmen are extremely easy to find. You can sign one off free agency for under 1.5M. The goal of drafting/signing young prospects is for them to grow into something more valuable to the team and be a difference maker. Depth is imperative to winning but it's a lot harder to acquire players who are top 9 forwards/top 4 dmen so I place much higher value on the young guys who have that upside.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, so I encourage people to vote for those players if they value NHL readiness but I will say I am happy they aren't running/scouting for my team.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
I never said people can't vote for who THEY feel like voting for. I was simply giving the reason for why Rod isn't higher on our list.

That being said I still think it's ridiculous to vote for NHL readiness. 4th liners and 5/6 dmen are extremely easy to find. You can sign one off free agency for under 1.5M. The goal of drafting/signing young prospects is for them to grow into something more valuable to the team and be a difference maker. Depth is imperative to winning but it's a lot harder to acquire players who are top 9 forwards/top 4 dmen so I place much higher value on the young guys who have that upside.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, so I encourage people to vote for those players if they value NHL readiness but I will say I am happy they aren't running/scouting for my team.

I feel like most scouts put some sort of emphasis on NHL readiness. Maybe not a huge one. But they still put some.

Sharksrule04

Jul 23, 2010
New York, NY
I feel like most scouts put some sort of emphasis on NHL readiness. Maybe not a huge one. But they still put some.

Agreed, but I think that happens more with top end talents at least in terms of the draft. You'll see some players go a few spots earlier or have some higher ratings because they may not be a #1 D-man but they are a 2 or 3 and can help the team out now, or maybe sooner than some of the potential #1 Dmen. I think you'll also see teams who need help immediately jump at some of those players.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Agreed, but I think that happens more with top end talents at least in terms of the draft. You'll see some players go a few spots earlier or have some higher ratings because they may not be a #1 D-man but they are a 2 or 3 and can help the team out now, or maybe sooner than some of the potential #1 Dmen. I think you'll also see teams who need help immediately jump at some of those players.

That is very true. I completely agree. I think that teams like Detroit have had the most success drafting in the NHL. The reason being that they don't reach for NHL readiness but instead go for the highest upside. They are only able to do this because they have a competitive team in the NHL and don't need the help whereas a team like Edmonton need instant help, so they may go for someone that is more NHL ready and end up rushing their prospects. But they did a good job with Nurse last year in my opinion.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad