• Sasha Chmelevski

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yevgeni Kashnikov

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Sendhelplease

Dec 21, 2020
I'd say Bystedt. He has potential to be a #2 center I think and is a safe bet to be a #3 center. He's a big player and has improved quite a bit over the last year, hopefully he can continue to progress.

gaucholoco3

Jun 22, 2015
I don’t get the sky high expectations for Thurn. He was serviceable in a 7 game stint when the team had nothing to play for with a good amount of that time next to the Norris winner. He will definitely struggle if he doesn’t start in the AHL (which I believe is where he should and will start) and it would be good for his development to start in a top pairing role with the Cuda.

I see Thurn with a ceiling as a #4 that is best deployed as the second best defenseman on his pairing in the top 4. Either as a complement to a legit #1 or on a second pair.

I see Braun’s impact as the ceiling for Thurn which is great to have but easy to find. His value is to be in that role as an internal candidate on a value contract which unfortunately will not happen because he will be ready for a new contract by the time the sharks compete.

He is a valuable asset but is strictly a complementary player that does not move the needle on the rebuild. Havelid and Cognioni but have much higher ceilings and potential to really impact the rebuild in a way Thurn will not.

I like Thurn and am excited for him but people talk as if he is already a legit #2/3 NHL defenseman now which is just way to optimistic.

hotcabbagesoup

why u guys want Celebrini, he played like a weenie
Feb 18, 2009
Reno, Nevada
I don’t get the sky high expectations for Thurn. He was serviceable in a 7 game stint when the team had nothing to play for with a good amount of that time next to the Norris winner. He will definitely struggle if he doesn’t start in the AHL (which I believe is where he should and will start) and it would be good for his development to start in a top pairing role with the Cuda.

I see Thurn with a ceiling as a #4 that is best deployed as the second best defenseman on his pairing in the top 4. Either as a complement to a legit #1 or on a second pair.

I see Braun’s impact as the ceiling for Thurn which is great to have but easy to find. His value is to be in that role as an internal candidate on a value contract which unfortunately will not happen because he will be ready for a new contract by the time the sharks compete.

He is a valuable asset but is strictly a complementary player that does not move the needle on the rebuild. Havelid and Cognioni but have much higher ceilings and potential to really impact the rebuild in a way Thurn will not.

I like Thurn and am excited for him but people talk as if he is already a legit #2/3 NHL defenseman now which is just way to optimistic.

I saw so many tools on display with Thrun. Skating, mobility, vision, crisp passing, gets the puck on net. Most importantly, the other team doesnt really score much when Thrun is on the ice. He neutralizes other scorers and if he can add some more offense to his game he will be a positive player every time he's out there. That is so valuable.

I see Bystedt as having poor edgework and first steps will hold him back both on the offensive and defensive side in the NHL.

Levie

Mar 15, 2011

I voted Thrun while I agree that his ceiling is top 4 he's much closer to being in the NHL compared to Havelid and Cagnoni. Yes their ceiling is possibly higher but I would say they could more easily bust than Thrun.

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California

I think Thrun coming in from university and looking better than most of our D-corp is what made everyone very excited about him. I agree he’s a Braun type player that would be at his best supporting a high end first line offensive defenseman, but that’s a great thing to have and still better than like 90% of our current D prospects. He’s also the most ready.

I’m not sure after performing at a high level he really needs to be in the AHL. I think he can learn in the NHL on a 2nd pairing. I also honestly prefer him be working with Warsofsky.

gaucholoco3

Jun 22, 2015
I just do see how a 7 game sample in meaningless games any player can be said to perform at a high level. I just caution not to get overly excited based on such a small sample.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
I just do see how a 7 game sample in meaningless games any player can be said to perform at a high level. I just caution not to get overly excited based on such a small sample.
He had a f***ing fantastic year at Harvard too and performing well regardless of sample size is more than really all of our D corps minus one last year.

Thrun is a good defensive D that is smart and has a bit of offense to his game. His intelligence on the ice makes me think he will he’s going to be a good top 4 D. I don’t think Bystedt is going to be more than a mediocre 2C. I’d take a good top 4 D over that everyday.

You also say you caution people not to only base their opinions on a 7 game sample size. Not everyone only watches NHL games.

• Wow
Reactions: Sandisfan

timorous me

Gristled Veteran
Apr 14, 2010
FWIW, I had Bystedt as my #4 guy, Musty at 5, but I am a big fan of Thrun, but just like Braun, I think he's easy to underrate or under-appreciate (or at least I hope he ends up like that--but he's a similar sort of player, very defensive-minded and very cerebral).

Braun was a player who seemed easier to find but I like to say, "Easier said than found," because you really don't see a single reliable, solid guy like him on every team--and for basically a decade straight, just no questions asked, you knew you were getting that solidity. Whereas Vlasic's game dipped, like so many others, Braun kept plugging along, even last year being very reliable for the Rangers in the playoffs while playing on the left side. But there was little notoriety, not a ton of points, so it's easy to think you can just find those guys--but you can't.

So while Thrun's ceiling might be similar, and I'm not sure if I'll rank him at 6 or not, if he can be a clone of Braun for years? That's massively valuable, especially if you want to be a good, deep team.

Brent Burns

“”“Re-tooling on the fly”””
Feb 7, 2007
Until Mukhamadullin has shown promise at the NHL level, it is an absolute travesty Thrun wasn't voted in the #4 position. He has shown incredible poise in the show.

hotcabbagesoup

why u guys want Celebrini, he played like a weenie
Feb 18, 2009
Reno, Nevada
Until Mukhamadullin has shown promise at the NHL level, it is an absolute travesty Thrun wasn't voted in the #4 position. He has shown incredible poise in the show.

HFSharks is hard to please. Even when Barabanov was doing really well his first year and early into his second year in the bigs, many were still skeptical. It was a small sample yes but it is still a sample size at the highest level. Eventually there was a point where everyone instantly came around on him and now everybody loves him unconditionally. Same with Peterson. The lack of love for our beloved players is really low here sometimes (see Couture and how everyone makes fun of him lol) Logan just wants to be loved

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose
People value the prospects using different criteria. NHL readiness and production is certainly a valuable aspect of evaluation, but that doesn't mean it has to be more important than the other criteria people are using to form their opinions.

Reactions: landshark

one2gamble

Dec 24, 2007
People value the prospects using different criteria. NHL readiness and production is certainly a valuable aspect of evaluation, but that doesn't mean it has to be more important than the other criteria people are using to form their opinions.
Probably should define the objectives on how we want them ranked in the future. If everyone is using different criteria the voting is kind ofnmeh

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad