San Jose offered a top-10 pick for Ryan Miller in the summer of 2015

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
There's just no chance I could believe that rumour. I could have seen it when he was still a Sabre...

It's certainly shocking, but I have a harder time believing that a reputable media establishment like CanucksArmy would just make things up. And an even harder time believing that the Canucks would give media credentials to CanucksArmy if they were just making things up like this.

Reactions: Jack Burton

Vankiller Whale

Fire Benning
May 12, 2012
Toronto
I'm skeptical, but wouldn't have been surprised if the Canucks had turned it down. To think that the Canucks could have picked up Rantanen or Barzal...

That said it's probably just as likely (if true) that the deal was to move up from 23 to 9, which might make more sense valuewise and wouldn't sting as much considering Canucks got Boeser.

Super Hans

Stats Evangelist
Oct 9, 2016
I heard it was Miller for 5 first rounders. This was confirmed to me by a leprechaun in a dream I had a fortnight ago.

So you're saying that Brent Burns is confirmed as the source?
cropped_Screen_Shot_2016-03-16_at_10.50.14_AM.jpg

Reactions: racerjoe

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
Funniest part if true, Benning said no.

If there's any way to substantiate this, Benning solidifies his position as worst GM in the NHL. Benning must be thanking his lucky stars for Boeser.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I could see it getting turned down by Aquellini. Playoffs the next year is better than a future piece in his eyes or a proper rebuild. They fully expected to make the playoffs the next year and get the 2 home game gate revenues.

Reactions: The Drop

Paris in Flames

Feb 4, 2009
You guys are missing a lot of the details though.

To San Jose
- Ryan Miller
- The coordinates to Big Foot's current location
- a 10 minute interview with the person who really shot JFK
- 4 of the correct numbers in Jennifer Lawrence's cell number.

To Vancouver
9th overall pick.

Reactions: drax0s

SB84

Jul 22, 2015
Calgary, AB
Not a chance this is true. It just does not make sense that A) DW would offer this for a goalie who is past his prime and B) Benning would turn that down.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
What was SJ's cap situation going into 15-16 where they could afford $6 million for Miller?

They were able to acquire Jones from Boston for a 2016 first during the week of the 2015 draft.

It would have been an absolutely stupid deal from the sharks POV to even consider that.

Given how bad a move this would have been for SJ, I give no credence to this rumour.

They definitely could have afforded Miller; they paid over $8M combined in UFA for Joel award and Paul Martin.

Regarding the rumor, I have heard rumblings about Miller to San Jose in the past, but I'm not sure I believe this one. However, I also read a rumor that San Jose offered Tomas Hertl and the 9th pick for TJ Oshie and Kevin Shattenkirk at the 2015 draft. In addition, there was a very well substantiated rumor that San Jose almost acquired Kevin Bieksa around that time frame, so the two teams were definitely in discussion.

With all that said, this would definitely have been a dumb move, but not as dumb as what the Sharks actually did. The Sharks drafted Timo Meier when Mathew Barzal was on the board. The difference between Meier and Barzal is much greater than the difference between Timo Meier and Ryan Miller. Whether or not this rumor is true, San Jose GM Doug Wilson was clearly prepared to do something stupid as f*** with that pick.

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
LeBrun reported that San Jose was all over Martin Jones even when he was still with the Kings leading up to draft day. There's just no way they would've ever targeted Miller when Jones is the complete opposite. Young up and coming goaltender worth the risk.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
If there's any way to substantiate this, Benning solidifies his position as worst GM in the NHL. Benning must be thanking his lucky stars for Boeser.
How about the opposite side?

Wouldn't it make Wilson just as terrible a GM for even offering the deal?

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
LeBrun reported that San Jose was all over Martin Jones even when he was still with the Kings leading up to draft day. There's just no way they would've ever targeted Miller when Jones is the complete opposite. Young up and coming goaltender worth the risk.
Thing was that there would be no way that LA would deal Jones within the division, not with the new playoff format. Back in the 1 vs 8, you could get away with it (despite Kipper coming back to eliminate the Sharks in 2004). Just wouldn't happen between those 2 teams.

Luckily for the Sharks, Lombardi pushed his chips in with Lucic (terrible deal for LA from the start, to push all in for 1 year with Lucic when Doughty is 26 and Kopi is 28 in 2015? Plus, a division rival upgraded on a position of need by getting Jones from Boston, whom the Kings wouldn't have traded him to.

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
Thing was that there would be no way that LA would deal Jones within the division, not with the new playoff format. Back in the 1 vs 8, you could get away with it (despite Kipper coming back to eliminate the Sharks in 2004). Just wouldn't happen between those 2 teams.

Luckily for the Sharks, Lombardi pushed his chips in with Lucic (terrible deal for LA from the start, to push all in for 1 year with Lucic when Doughty is 26 and Kopi is 28 in 2015? Plus, a division rival upgraded on a position of need by getting Jones from Boston, whom the Kings wouldn't have traded him to.

By far the worst trade Lombardi made in his tenure. Lost a 1st, our top Dman prospect at the time and a very good goalie for a 1 year rental. The worst part was Jones was flipped for another 1st to SJ who went on to beat us in the playoff that season. Now the Kings, as well as the rest of the division has to deal with a very good goalie that makes the Sharks better.

canuckster19

Former CDC Mod
Sep 23, 2008
Gothenburg Sweden
CanucksArmy are just a bunch of pro-tank lurkers... my god I'm surprised that tank thread has been allowed to linger for so long, even CDC got rid of their's.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
This might be the worst trade not to happen that year. 1st overall (Ekblad in 2014) from Florida to Philly for Lecavalier, Simmonds or Schenn or whatever it, would have been even worse though.

It sounds like a Doug Wilson move. Miller was coming off one of his worst seasons that year and looked close to finished. He's bounced back slight since then, but only in a 1a role. If the Sharks got him that year, no doubt he would have played 65 games, with how awful Stalock was. Rather than just over 50 that he played the last two seasons as a Canuck. I wouldn't trust him in 65 games. Seems like 65 games for Miller at 35 years old, would be enough to take him from being a .915 goaltender to knocking him down to a below 91% goaltender.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad