San Jose offered a top-10 pick for Ryan Miller in the summer of 2015

Ryan Miller*

Jan 13, 2017
A young moderator on HF Vancouver (WTG) is claiming insider information that San Jose offered a top-10 pick for a 35-year old Ryan Miller coming off a season where he split playoff starts with Eddie Lack.

The Ryan Miller for a 9th overall pick, does seem to have some legs under it by official Canucks press journalist.

What a bombshell! Unprecedented value for a 35-year old goalie! What would have been the reaction to this trade at the time? Would Doug Wilson have been run out of town? And Jim Benning celebrated for extracting a top-10 pick out of signing an aging goalie the offseason prior?

Curious also about reaction from San Jose fans given the very good goaltending a much younger Martin Jones has provided for the team since this summer. Does this rumour make any sense to you?

PS I have my doubts as to the veracity of the rumour, but HF Van's stellar moderation team has ratified it as truth according to a Canucks Army.

Last edited by a moderator:

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010
I doubt he was the main piece. Most likely Elite player + Miller

Bizz

2023 LTIR Loophole* Cup Champions
Oct 17, 2007
San Jose
DW has targeted Miller before, but I doubt 9th OA in 2015 was ever on the table.

CRDragon

[̲̅$̲̅(̲̅ ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°̲̅)̲̅$̲̅]
Dec 2, 2006
Vancouver
We all knew there was interest in Ryan Miller that year, but he was not going to be dealt because Benning had a mandate to make a run for the playoffs. Wouldn't be surprised if this rumour is true and disappointed we didn't make the deal there and then.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Yes, but young moderator WTF confirmed via highly confidential Twitter DM between two nobodies that press-credentialed blogger J.D. Burke authorized the story via a source in the Canucks organization.

LOL

What happened was I dug up the story that was written in November 2016, where I remembered reading that Benning turned down the 9th overall pick for Ryan Miller. I reached out to the author of the article to get confirmation on this, and he shared with me that his editor had been told that the 9th overall pick was on the table for Ryan Miller, and that he could print it in his article. I shared that DM from the author with a moderator on this board.

CanucksArmy is an organization that has covered the Vancouver Canucks for several years, and have their own press credentials with the team. This isn't a nobody nothing organization like you're trying to make it out to be. Furthermore, the editor who received this tidbit, JD Burke, also does work with TSN1040.

Askel

By the way Benning should be fired.
Apr 19, 2004
Malmö/Vancouver
Yes, but young moderator WTF confirmed via highly confidential Twitter DM between two nobodies that press-credentialed blogger J.D. Burke authorized the story via a source in the Canucks organization.
What a joke of a post, you admit that you lied in the OP then you call Canucks Army a nothing site when it has press credentials. All while attacking WTG:s age. This is a new low even for you

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Probably would have taken someone like Crouse anyway

The reason I investigated this a bit more was because Laurence Gilman yesterday was on TSN1040 mentioning that the Canucks had Matt Barzal ranked high in the 2015 draft, so I wouldn't at all be surprised if Barzal would have been a Canuck if Benning didn't reject this deal.

Reactions: Jack Burton

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
The reason I investigated this a bit more was because Laurence Gilman yesterday was on TSN1040 mentioning that the Canucks had Matt Barzal ranked high in the 2015 draft, so I wouldn't at all be surprised if Barzal would have been a Canuck if Benning didn't reject this deal.

Yea, I feel like I vaguely remember some suggestions they were high on him leading up to that draft but that he'd likely go too early, as he did. Would have been a huge draft to help make up for the year before.

firstemperor

May 25, 2011
There's just no chance I could believe that rumour. I could have seen it when he was still a Sabre...

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
What was SJ's cap situation going into 15-16 where they could afford $6 million for Miller?

They were able to acquire Jones from Boston for a 2016 first during the week of the 2015 draft.

It would have been an absolutely stupid deal from the sharks POV to even consider that.

Given how bad a move this would have been for SJ, I give no credence to this rumour.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad