San Antonio/???

wildcat48

Jul 16, 2005
Portland, Maine
It still remains to be seen. Folks from AZ are saying not to assume they're going to San Antonio. It appears that a three-team flip is in the process w/ Colorado to San Antonio, Columbus to Lake Erie and Arizona to Springfield. Any announcement will likely come after the season is finished.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Still don't know what's in it for Colorado to go to San Antonio. Why would they leave one NBA owned situation for another? Just to appease Columbus? I don't think so. But yeah it's up in the air until the San Antonio/Arizona situation is sorted.

Frank Booth

Feb 13, 2008
Lumberton, USA
Colorado has been asked to leave Lake Erie by the Cavaliers' management team. They have lost sponsorship due to Colorado's ineptitude, and they are tired of the constant complaints from their STH base, which may for the first time slightly shrink. Seven of eight years with no playoffs is too much. It's not to "appease Columbus", it's to appease the sponsors and ticket-paying customers of the Monsters.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
How can a team under contract be asked to leave? And as far as I'm aware the STH are more upset over communication issues, lack of information on the team and team sponsored events. If they didn't want to renew the contract is one thing but Colorado also isn't going to pick up and move without it benefitting them.

axecrew

Feb 6, 2007
How can a team under contract be asked to leave? And as far as I'm aware the STH are more upset over communication issues, lack of information on the team and team sponsored events. If they didn't want to renew the contract is one thing but Colorado also isn't going to pick up and move without it benefitting them.

It's actually pretty simple and is on 2 fronts. #1 if your apt. landlord ask you to leave and vacate your apt...he can do that, it's his building. It's called an eviction.
#2 it is inevidable that clb is going to be in cleveland. It makes sense from a marketing standpoint and from a fans standpoint. It gives both teams a footprint through out the entire state of Ohio. With any contract there is always out clauses and since colorado wants to eventually move it's team out towards them, going to San Antonio is the a simple bridge to getting there own franchise in a couple of years when both the NHL and AHL expand to 32 teams.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
It's not simple. You can get evicted if you breach your contract (lease). They landlord doesn't get to kick one tenant out because he's found a "better" tenant. Have they breached the contract? Where is the evidence of that?

Colorado isn't going to move to make it nice and neat for everyone. When the contract is up and Lake Erie can explore other options is another thing, that isn't right now. They are going to move if it benefits them. I don't see how San Antonio benefits them. Look, I agree that Colorado needs to move eventually and I haven't been thrilled with the non-existent Cleveland media. But people jumping to assume that Colorado is going to move because everyone wants Columbus there is a faulty premise. If they wanted to be in San Antonio long term I could see the move made but I've yet to hear a reason or indication why they would so I don't buy that they are just going to go there temporarily to satisfy this idea of musical chairs.

Last edited:

Coach Nate

Angry Rampage Expat
Aug 17, 2008
San Antonio
Every affiliation agreement in the league has out-clauses. Lake Erie, from what I understand, will be using theirs with Colorado so that they can get Columbus into Cleveland.

Affiliations and leases may as well be written on napkins in the AHL. Colorado won't gain a thing moving their players to San Antonio (who won't gain a thing either), but Colorado won't have a choice once all the dominos fall.

axecrew

Feb 6, 2007
Why now, why didn't they do it years ago then?

I'm not in disbelief this could happen I'm just trying to figure out what the actual facts are.

Why now? Because up until now they would've not really gained anything long term. NOW with the western movement there is something to be gained by them. A team geographically closer to their parent club. When the NHL expands to Vegas and Seattle in a couple of years, there will also be 2 AHL expansions franchises available to purchase. Colorado will be buying one of those and moving their team closer. And as said before the out clause is a mutual one that can be enacted by either party, it's no secret as you have stated that the fans and owners want clb as their partner...cleveland has the power to enact their clause and evict colorado as a tenent. The only thing keeping colorado from enacting their out clause now is the lack of an available franchise to purchase. I do wonder something tho....if the shoe were on the other foot and it was colorado who was opting out( and we don't know if it's not mutual at this point) would you be as passionate about how the move isn't right and that you just can't up and leave a valid contract because you got a better offer?

You'll never know the actual facts because no one will ever tell then whole story about what goes on behind closed doors. But when there's this much smoke, there's bound to be fire. As demonstrated by all the things of the past few months with the west move and then the whole st john's/hamilton stuff. All that stuff leaked out before it was confirmed and the spin control by the parties involved was in full force.
I brought the subject up to Wolves president Mike Gordon concerning the leaks and asked him pointblank...."Doesn't it drive you and the BOG crazy when we the fans find out about all this stuff before you guys let it out?" He said flatout that they can't stand the fact that the fans find out this stuff via leaks before they ever get a chance to vote on it in some cases..etc.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
I live in Denver, it doesn't personally matter to me where the AHL franchise is located. Makes no difference to me if the team plays in San Antonio or Cleveland. I'm just trying to understand why the move is allegedly going to be made and how exactly that's supposed to happen.

Coach Nate

Angry Rampage Expat
Aug 17, 2008
San Antonio
I live in Denver, it doesn't personally matter to me where the AHL franchise is located. Makes no difference to me if the team plays in San Antonio or Cleveland. I'm just trying to understand why the move is allegedly going to be made and how exactly that's supposed to happen.

It's happening now because Lake Erie and Columbus want to be affiliated with each other. Colorado and San Antonio are the odd teams out. Colorado will be without an AHL team and, with FLA leaving San Antonio, the Rampage are out an NHL team.

It doesn't make a lick of sense for either team, but it's happening and we might as well just embrace it.

Nerdlinger

Hockey Noob
Mar 31, 2015
Not Vietnam
It's happening now because Lake Erie and Columbus want to be affiliated with each other. Colorado and San Antonio are the odd teams out. Colorado will be without an AHL team and, with FLA leaving San Antonio, the Rampage are out an NHL team.

It doesn't make a lick of sense for either team, but it's happening and we might as well just embrace it.

San Antonio is closer to Denver than Cleveland is, at least. Although still pretty far away.

Coach Nate

Angry Rampage Expat
Aug 17, 2008
San Antonio
Again, the proximity of the two cities is completely irrelevant.

If Lake Erie opts out, which I'm under the impression they will, and Colorado doesn't want their prospects to be playing in a men's league in Aurora somewhere, they will affiliate with San Antonio who is the only current AHL team without an NHL affiliate.

Nerdlinger

Hockey Noob
Mar 31, 2015
Not Vietnam
Again, the proximity of the two cities is completely irrelevant.

If Lake Erie opts out, which I'm under the impression they will, and Colorado doesn't want their prospects to be playing in a men's league in Aurora somewhere, they will affiliate with San Antonio who is the only current AHL team without an NHL affiliate.

If the Avalanche and Lake Erie split, the Blue Jackets could easily be compelled to break their agreement with Springfield and affiliate with Lake Erie. This would leave Springfield as another option for the Avalanche. Arizona is currently without an AHL affiliate for next year, so it would be between them and Colorado as to who gets San Antonio and who gets Springfield. If proximity matters at all, as it seems to, I would think both Colorado and Arizona would prefer San Antonio.

CJNewman

Feb 1, 2014
which ever one between Arizona and Colorado doesn't go to San Antonio will most likely end up in Springfield with the intention of buying them or "Norforlking" them.

Coach Nate

Angry Rampage Expat
Aug 17, 2008
San Antonio
If the Avalanche and Lake Erie split, the Blue Jackets could easily be compelled to break their agreement with Springfield and affiliate with Lake Erie. This would leave Springfield as another option for the Avalanche. Arizona is currently without an AHL affiliate for next year, so it would be between them and Colorado as to who gets San Antonio and who gets Springfield. If proximity matters at all, as it seems to, I would think both Colorado and Arizona would prefer San Antonio.

San Antonio wants nothing to do with Arizona. Been there, done that, burned all the pictures. Besides, if they were going to reunite, you'd think they would've announced it already.

The fact that there has been nothing even leaked, leads me to believe that Arizona will pick up Springfield after Columbus bolts for Cleveland. Leaving Colorado and San Antonio in a loveless and arranged marriage.

Nerdlinger

Hockey Noob
Mar 31, 2015
Not Vietnam
which ever one between Arizona and Colorado doesn't go to San Antonio will most likely end up in Springfield with the intention of buying them or "Norforlking" them.

If the AHL has any say in it, I think they'd do all they could to avoid losing Springfield. That's where their league office is.

San Antonio wants nothing to do with Arizona. Been there, done that, burned all the pictures. Besides, if they were going to reunite, you'd think they would've announced it already.

The fact that there has been nothing even leaked, leads me to believe that Arizona will pick up Springfield after Columbus bolts for Cleveland. Leaving Colorado and San Antonio in a loveless and arranged marriage.

Well, buck up! Sooner or later, the Avalanche are going to bring an AHL affiliate closer to home. My money's on the Colorado Eagles. They can buy an existing AHL franchise and pull a switcheroo like what happened with the Pacific Division teams.

wildcat48

Jul 16, 2005
Portland, Maine
I said this over on the BOH thread, but it applies here too... The Coyotes will likely stay in Springfield for a couple seasons until they can either purchase the franchise or complete the sale on another franchise to move to Tucson.

There were talks between Arizona and San Antonio, but I think Colorado made a better pitch plus they have experience working within an NBA arena. That ultimately was a selling point for San Antonio to pick Colorado as well as it’s Arizona.

The Coyotes minor league team has only made the postseason once in six seasons and three times in 14 seasons. It could be three times in 15 seasons after this weekend. Regardless of management it’s the definition on a walking cluster**** when it comes to how they manage the team in the AHL and I’m sure the folks in San Antonio know that.

Nerdlinger

Hockey Noob
Mar 31, 2015
Not Vietnam
I said this over on the BOH thread, but it applies here too... The Coyotes will likely stay in Springfield for a couple seasons until they can either purchase the franchise or complete the sale on another franchise to move to Tucson.

There were talks between Arizona and San Antonio, but I think Colorado made a better pitch plus they have experience working within an NBA arena. That ultimately was a selling point for San Antonio to pick Colorado as well as it’s Arizona.

The Coyotes minor league team has only made the postseason once in six seasons and three times in 14 seasons. It could be three times in 15 seasons after this weekend. Regardless of management it’s the definition on a walking cluster**** when it comes to how they manage the team in the AHL and I’m sure the folks in San Antonio know that.

You think they'll go to Tucson? I've heard they might revive the Sundogs in Prescott Valley. I think they'd do better with Las Vegas, though, assuming the NHL doesn't expand there.

Clinton Comets EHL

Feb 18, 2014
You think they'll go to Tucson? I've heard they might revive the Sundogs in Prescott Valley. I think they'd do better with Las Vegas, though, assuming the NHL doesn't expand there.

I think it doesn't matter. The Coyotes will end up in QC or somewhere before they purchase their own AHL franchise. Maloney is clueless, as WC48 pointed out, their AHL affiliate in the playoffs 3 times in 15 years. Feel badly for the people in Springfield.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad