Confirmed with Link: Samuel Poulin 2 x 775k

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Maybe try reading the posts you reply to.

The reality is that a bunch of teams will be trying to hand out bad contracts in UFA like normal, and when a team misses out on a guy in free agency, they'll circle back to the trade market for guys like Smith on the cheap. Once teams miss out on paying someone like Mantha or Perron $5 million a year, they'll circle back to guys like Smith and trade for them at a minimal cost.

Yeah, and that's when they'll ask for retention because why do they have to solve the Pittsburgh Penguins cap issues for no reason when they could just sign the same player at UFA.

Don't worry though. Dubas will figure it out.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Yeah, and that's when they'll ask for retention because why do they have to solve the Pittsburgh Penguins cap issues for no reason when they could just sign the same player at UFA.

Don't worry though. Dubas will figure it out.

What "cap issues" do the Penguins have all of a sudden?

I get you hate Dubas like he f***ed your girlfriend or something, but you're just making stuff up in here.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
They'll have no cap left after they give Brenden Dillon 4.5 x 3 and some guy that used to play for Toronto 5 plus.

"They'll have cap issues because of a made up scenario in my head that hasn't happened"

Anyway this thread is about Poulin, it has already gone off track enough.

I assume they’ll actually give him a look similar to what they did with POJ this year now that he’s waiver eligible.

Honestly, I wouldn't be so sure about that. I think it largely depends on Poulin's play. Just like they waived Smith last year, I wouldn't be surprised for Poulin to get waived as well if he struggles.

It also depends on free agency. If Dubas clutters the bottom-6 and depth with a bunch of shitty UFA signings like he did last year, that hurts Poulin even more.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
It also depends on free agency. If Dubas clutters the bottom-6 and depth with a bunch of shitty UFA signings like he did last year, that hurts Poulin even more.
I feel like every Pens gm ever does this every off season so I don't expect Dubas to be any different. He'll sign some guys in the name of having depth and then Sullivan will prefer those guys and it will just be easier to have Poulin and any other youth be the odd men out.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
I feel like every Pens gm ever does this every off season so I don't expect Dubas to be any different. He'll sign some guys in the name of having depth and then Sullivan will prefer those guys and it will just be easier to have Poulin and any other youth be the odd men out.

One of those guys he'll sign is "keeping Reilly Smith".

Reactions: Pancakes

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010
Every coach wants to see their young prospect players succeed and hold a roster spot. If only because they have low caphits and can provide value far beyond it. So it's ridiculous that people think Sullivan doesn't want a player like Poulin to show he deserves a roster spot, expecially over someone like Reilly.

Coach's recognize that older players with guaranteed roster spots will show inconsistency, because they get complacent with their position on the roster. Yet despite that, they still stick to the teams system and make it difficult for Coach's to punish them for something like athleticism. There's very little a coach can do to change people like that. Players trying to break into the league are held to a higher standard, because they should be fighting every shift to show they deserve to be in the top league. Harkins for example is who he is, he's not going to get better but his effort is consistent most shifts. Poulin will get knocked down harder for mistakes. He has far more room to improve so will get held to a higher standard until he can show consistency with his positioning on the ice and thinking process during meetings.

It may not make sense, but it's important to realize that the difference between the NHL and AHL isn't talent, it's consistency and following the system. There's many players in the AHL that can deke Slavin out of his pants, but then those same players will spend the next shift forcing the same thing again instead of making the safe play that's expected of them. Poulin will get a roster spot if he follows the system, makes safe plays, then adds his game onto that.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
Every coach wants to see their young prospect players succeed and hold a roster spot. If only because they have low caphits and can provide value far beyond it. So it's ridiculous that people think Sullivan doesn't want a player like Poulin to show he deserves a roster spot, expecially over someone like Reilly.

Coach's recognize that older players with guaranteed roster spots will show inconsistency, because they get complacent with their position on the roster. Yet despite that, they still stick to the teams system and make it difficult for Coach's to punish them for something like athleticism. There's very little a coach can do to change people like that. Players trying to break into the league are held to a higher standard, because they should be fighting every shift to show they deserve to be in the top league. Harkins for example is who he is, he's not going to get better but his effort is consistent most shifts. Poulin will get knocked down harder for mistakes. He has far more room to improve so will get held to a higher standard until he can show consistency with his positioning on the ice and thinking process during meetings.

It may not make sense, but it's important to realize that the difference between the NHL and AHL isn't talent, it's consistency and following the system. There's many players in the AHL that can deke Slavin out of his pants, but then those same players will spend the next shift forcing the same thing again instead of making the safe play that's expected of them.

Thanks for the feedback. Just like Puustinen, eh?

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004

"We really expected more out of Sam. We don't understand why he couldn't make a bigger impact playing every other game for like 7 minutes next to some of the worst NHLers in the whole league. It's a real whodunnit kinda mystery. Anyway it's almost noon so f*** off. I gotta go feed Mike grapes and fan him with palm fronds. Owners orders."

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
We've had two all timer, first ballot hall of fame quotes this season. Dubas saying this team would need to find a Sully if they were to fire Sully, and Sully saying he was excited to fix EK's game. :laugh:

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Good sign this was somewhat of a priority. He could be in the bottom 6 immediately.

I really doubt that Smith and Nieto are on the roster for next year.

Poulin's spot on the team is the 13th forward.
Smith maybe but Nieto might not even be healthy, and even if he is that’s an easy waive.

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish
2nd year was likely to give the option to pass through waivers. GMs are scared babies and rarely claim a player with over a year left. Thats why like 20 teams passed on Tolvanen and JR was able to get CDS through waivers after giving him a multi year extension.

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
They need young prospect to contribute. Dubas knows the model of all in is not the way to go. Ponomarev, Poulin, plus prospects in Russia, Finland, and Yagar, is a start.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad