Votes: 32 72.7%
  • Keep both

Votes: 1 2.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
What's the status on Reimer? Likely available, cheap contract and contract year coming up. Better numbers than Gibson 3 years in a row.

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
What's the status on Reimer? Likely available, cheap contract and contract year coming up. Better numbers than Gibson 3 years in a row.
Reimer will be age 35 next season and the Sharks seem content on keeping him. The Caps really need to look longer term and younger in acquiring a goalie.

DWGie26

Sponsor
Oct 6, 2019
NOVA
Reimer will be age 35 next season and the Sharks seem content on keeping him. The Caps really need to look longer term and younger in acquiring a goalie.
Reimer also just played the most games of his career this season at 48. Was in 20’s and 31 his last three season. Pass on him.

DWGie26

Sponsor
Oct 6, 2019
NOVA
Sammy at 25 still has the potential to be a number 1. But he can’t be that guy next year. Take then pressure off and bring in a true number 1 who he can learn from. So I’m not suggesting we keep Sammy to be number 1 - whomever we sign should be that while still giving Sammy 25-30 games.

I think Gibson is too expensive with too much risk. If he was an UFA, I’d take a run. But someone is going to overpay for him and I don’t want it to be us. Now if we could package Sammy, AJF (whom I think gets squeezed out) and a mid pick (2-4) then I would do that. But i think someone will pay a lot more.

Holtby is an interesting option to me. At 32, he can still give you 50 games a year of solid play, mentor Sammy, and will come back to Caps for cheap as he want to move back here and ultimately retire here. We can take advantage of that.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
I’ll keep the cheaper backup in Vanecek….

it’s time to let go of the fantasy that Sammy will ever be a good #1 here. He can go try and figure out his game on someone else’s dime.

Unless of course he’s willing to take a paycut.

Reactions: nothingbeatshockey

DWGie26

Sponsor
Oct 6, 2019
NOVA
I’ll keep the cheaper backup in Vanecek….

it’s time to let go of the fantasy that Sammy will ever be a good #1 here. He can go try and figure out his game on someone else’s dime.

Unless of course he’s willing to take a paycut.
That could certainly happen. They don’t have to give him an offer sheet and then go back and sign him for less. That has happened with plenty of FA’s. Maybe 1.5M in this case and he would continue to be a Cap. If too low he will go elsewhere.

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
Sammy at 25 still has the potential to be a number 1. But he can’t be that guy next year. Take then pressure off and bring in a true number 1 who he can learn from. So I’m not suggesting we keep Sammy to be number 1 - whomever we sign should be that while still giving Sammy 25-30 games.

I think Gibson is too expensive with too much risk. If he was an UFA, I’d take a run. But someone is going to overpay for him and I don’t want it to be us. Now if we could package Sammy, AJF (whom I think gets squeezed out) and a mid pick (2-4) then I would do that. But i think someone will pay a lot more.

Holtby is an interesting option to me. At 32, he can still give you 50 games a year of solid play, mentor Sammy, and will come back to Caps for cheap as he want to move back here and ultimately retire here. We can take advantage of that.
Holtby hasn't played 50 games in a season in 3 years. If the Caps had a better goalie coach, then I think Holtby could recapture playing 50 games again. I doubt Holtby would want to come back to the Caps, unless Scott Murray is gone.

nothingbeatshockey

May 3, 2013
Dump them both, make Fucale your backup, use the $$ and draft picks and a forward to get a legit #1.

Neither Sammy nor VV has shown they can carry this team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad