News Article: Samsonov: Should he stay or should he go?

Do we keep Samsonov?

• Hellz Yes

Votes: 72 87.8%
  • Maybe

Votes: 10 12.2%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
What argument does Samsonov have in arbitration?

27 good games in Toronto following 70 something of barely .900 goaltending isn’t really a strong argument

Last edited:
Reactions: Jimmy Firecracker

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
What argument does Samsonov have in arbitration?

27 good games in Toronto following 70 something of barely .900 goaltending isn’t really a strong argument
Which is exactly why we should try to lock him up long term now on a team friendly AAV.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
All these discussion are pointless because we dont have enough information. If Sammy carries us to a cup vs if he Flames out in 4 are two very different conversations, not to mention every possibility in between.

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022
would you trade him for Demko or Hart if either is made available?
he could be better or worse than either, because goalies are voodoo.

I like Demko a lot but he's fallen off the cliff this year. Demko over Samsonov? That's an interesting debate.

Why another thread? We should charge people

Because the search feature sucks, when I searched for Samsonov, there were threads about him beign a target for Montreal, etc. For the life of me, I will never understand why someone would come into a thread they have no interest in participating in. So odd.

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022
All these discussion are pointless because we dont have enough information. If Sammy carries us to a cup vs if he Flames out in 4 are two very different conversations, not to mention every possibility in between.

Why would we base our decision on a small sample size like 4 games?

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
His arbitration case probably isnt going to be particularly great. He doesn't have a huge track record.

If they can't work out a longer term deal he'll sign another cheap 1 year deal.

I see no scenario where the Leafs have to get rid of him

With arb rights and the stats he has , he will probably get awarded 4 to 5 mil. with Murray at 4.7 , mill that is 9 to 10 mill tied up in two goalies.

How are you getting those numbers? Such high numbers seem pretty unlikely imo. He won't even have a single season of 50 games under his belt

Reactions: Buds17

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
Franchise goalie and Franchise center...that's how winning teams are built. We are missing a Franchise D.

You can build a contender around Matthews with Samsonov more than you can with Marner Nylander or Rielly.

LeafEgo

Oct 8, 2021
This is a bit crazy, Leafs will do whatever it takes to fit him in next year at a price point commensurate with his results by the end of the season - its a young goalie playing very well.

Sammy and his team would have to be egregiously unreasonable for us to move on. And if poor Dubie is still GM even that wouldn't matter.

Burnie97

Jun 26, 2015
Canada
Do a 3.5 to 4 mil deal for 4 or 5 years if possible or a 1 year show me deal again at 2 or so.

I think he's shown a lot of potential and game saving type of save ability. He's been solid this year but the sample size is still pretty small. I'd still do either. Obviously the first option is a gamble but I think more than fair.

WillyC

Sep 7, 2018
I think Sammy is going to be here for a long time… just a feeling, he gets even better here in Toronto… hopefully in about 8 weeks from now.

Reactions: kb

-DeMo-

Nov 12, 2006
Huntsville Ontario
I'm in the lets see how the year ends I mean with how Woll has played in the AHL I think he's earned a look as the backup next year, but with Samsonov and Murray neither has a track record recently of great play so I might be more inclined to move which ever goalie would garner the biggest return knowing that whoever is kept could still play far better anyways.

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
There will be plenty of teams that need goaltending in the offseason. I'm pretty confident one of them will take Murray (maybe with some retention on our part), despite his injury history, given that there's only one year left on his deal. His actual play this year and last year has been decent enough, but with Samsanov due for a raise, we can't keep both.

Samsanov-Woll is VERY likely our duo for the start of next year. We lose Woll to waivers if we don't have him on the Leafs I think, plus he's cheap.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad