News Article: Samsonov: Should he stay or should he go?

Do we keep Samsonov?

• Hellz Yes

Votes: 72 87.8%
  • Maybe

Votes: 10 12.2%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022
Such a shame we might have to let this guy walk next year, he is a RFA with Arb rights, all because we got money tied up in Murray.

I'm in the find Murray a home in Arizona club, trade Murray and a pick to Arizona.

BTW he was not at practice today due to an illness

Goaltender Ilya Samsonov is absent from Leafs practice due to an illness according to head coach Sheldon Keefe. Tomorrow's starter against the Montreal Canadiens is to be determined.

The 25-year-old is 19-6-2 in 26 appearances this season, recording a .918 save percentage and 2.31 GAA.

Leafs practice getting underway

Ilya Samsonov is not on the ice @TSN_Edge pic.twitter.com/ooc7VrrbkV
— Mark Masters (@markhmasters) February 17, 2023

AvroArrow

Fire Keefe
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
I don't see why we'd let him walk. Murray was "dumped" by Ottawa pretty easily, now he's at a lower cap hit and playing much better in Toronto.

You think we can fit him under the cap with Arb rights?
Pretty easily, he'll get about 4-5M. Murray is easily traded, use that money to extend Sammy, bring up Woll as the backup.

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
Samsonov had a tough time at the end in Washington and he seems happy and comfortable here. No reason to think he wouldn't want to stay. And he really doesn't have enough of a track record to command a big salary at this point.

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022
I don't see why we'd let him walk. Murray was "dumped" by Ottawa pretty easily, now he's at a lower cap hit and playing much better in Toronto.

For me the Murray injury issue has been a bit of a side show. Murray takes 5.7% of the cap, as a goalie, and you dont know one day from the next if he is going to be able to play.

Pretty easily, he'll get about 4-5M. Murray is easily traded, use that money to extend Sammy, bring up Woll as the backup.

Agreed, Murray has a M-NTC, I was thinking along the same lines, Woll has done enough to get a look as the back up next year

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022
Samsonov had a tough time at the end in Washington and he seems happy and comfortable here. No reason to think he wouldn't want to stay. And he really doesn't have enough of a track record to command a big salary at this point.

With arb rights and the stats he has , he will probably get awarded 4 to 5 mil. with Murray at 4.7 , mill that is 9 to 10 mill tied up in two goalies.

banks

Only got 5/16
Aug 29, 2019
As of right now, why would anyone say no?

There's not a better, younger, or cheaper goalie just sitting around anywhere.

Cotton

May 13, 2013
When both are 100% Murray is the better goaltender. He's just never healthy.

mydnyte

Sep 8, 2004
would you trade him for Demko or Hart if either is made available?
he could be better or worse than either, because goalies are voodoo.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
would you trade him for Demko or Hart if either is made available?
he could be better or worse than either, because goalies are voodoo.
I expect them to have had a plan all along and it wouldn't surprise me if it's Samsonov and Woll.

michi510

Aug 31, 2011
Toronto
Voted maybe.

Lots can happen between now and playoffs, and especially how we do this year after April.

Undecided until then.

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
1M for a guy who is having the best year of his career and has provided top 10-15 level goaltending for the season. Easy yes.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Unless the expectation is an excessive amount (4M+?), I think he'll have shown enough to warrant another contract with the team. Maybe???

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
Such a shame we might have to let this guy walk next year, he is a RFA with Arb rights, all because we got money tied up in Murray.

I'm in the find Murray a home in Arizona club, trade Murray and a pick to Arizona.

BTW he was not at practice today due to an illness

Goaltender Ilya Samsonov is absent from Leafs practice due to an illness according to head coach Sheldon Keefe. Tomorrow's starter against the Montreal Canadiens is to be determined.

The 25-year-old is 19-6-2 in 26 appearances this season, recording a .918 save percentage and 2.31 GAA.

If we can get rid of Mrazek, we can get rid of anyone

Reactions: kb

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad