Prospect Info: Sampo Ranta LW (2018 78th overall)

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
EP confirming his transfer from Wisconsin to Minnesota. Sounds like he wanted to stay in Big 10 and that Wisconsin has some really strange admission policies when it comes to foreign students on athletic scholarships.

Not sure I like having a Golden Gopher in the system, but at least it's better than a Fighting Sioux. im right @Hasbro ? :sarcasm:

Reactions: Hasbro

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Wisconsin is actually a very difficult school to get into... my guess is Ranta simply didn’t qualify.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Wisconsin is actually a very difficult school to get into... my guess is Ranta simply didn’t qualify.
You're probably right, I thought all those big schools had high acceptance rates because, well they're big schools like CU is 80%, DU is 72%, CSU is 82%, and what not. Wisconsin is 58%, but then I found out that UCLA is 17% for a public institution. Dang. Michigan is only 26%.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
You're probably right, I thought all those big schools had high acceptance rates because, well they're big schools like CU is 80%, DU is 72%, CSU is 82%, and what not. Wisconsin is 58%, but then I found out that UCLA is 17% for a public institution. Dang. Michigan is only 26%.

Yeah, there are other public schools that are more difficult (the UC system in general is very difficult), but Wisconsin is a school that doesn't make exceptions for athletes. Michigan and UCLA make exceptions to for their athletes on a consistent basis. It was recently that Wisconsin lost a football coach because he was upset at the admission standards his players had to reach.

Wisconsin's admission standards pushed Gary Andersen to Oregon St.

Alex Jones

BIG BOWL 'A CHILI!!
Jun 8, 2009
Conspiratron 9000
UC schools are hard to get into because there are so many top foreign students that come over during HS and raise the bar for admissions. Go to China or Korea and you will see billboards for (super) expensive private schools in areas like the O.C. and Arcadia that specialize in getting kids super high numbers and pumping them into the Ivy/UC systems.

Most athletes for major universities get academic exemptions anyways. The bar for getting into a university as an athlete is incredibly low.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Most athletes for major universities get academic exemptions anyways. The bar for getting into a university as an athlete is incredibly low.

Yup... Wisconsin is one of the few schools that doesn't do this. Hence their issues. It doesn't mean those players don't have decent grades or couldn't make the cut (at least staying eligible by NCAA standards), just that they don't reach the level of the everyday student that has to enter.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
UC schools are hard to get into because there are so many top foreign students that come over during HS and raise the bar for admissions. Go to China or Korea and you will see billboards for (super) expensive private schools in areas like the O.C. and Arcadia that specialize in getting kids super high numbers and pumping them into the Ivy/UC systems.

Interesting, is this the same for Massachusetts schools as well?

agentblack

Apr 11, 2011
New York City

ha, thats some hardcore colleging

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad