Prospect Info: Sammy Walker

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Too soon?
Noticed there wasn't a prospect thread for him, and didn't know if I should make a Prospect, or Player, thread. It's only been about 20 minutes of NHL TOI so far, but he looks good, and to be just the thing to pair with Boldy. You never know how a player's game will translate from the NCAA>AHL. nvm to the NHL. So far, he doesn't seem fazed. His body, and brain, seem to have adjusted to the pace of the NHL fairly well. He also seems to be able to work in close confines, even though he is more of a wiry build, than thick.

Will be interested to see if he can keep it up. I've been pretty critical of Dean lately, but have to hand it to him for pairing him with Boldy right away rather than putting him on the 4th line. Boldy desperately needs a sniff of a linemate that has some offensive skill. I also think that the speed threat of Walker prevents other teams from collapsing around Boldy, giving him more room to work his magic.

Worst comes to worst, Sammy goes down and Rossi has a vg linemate to play with down in Iowa.

BTW, he is fast, but his main thing is that he is quick. Very quick twitch guy as an athlete...always has been.

Reactions: 63firebird

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
I don’t see him sticking at the NHL level with Hartman and Duhaime set to return soon:

Kap-Steel-Zucc
GREEF
Boldy-Gaudreau-Hartman
Duhaime-Dewar-Shaw
Reaves

None of the 4 lines have a player that is a “no brainer” for the press box.

Who knows, maybe he makes a player like Gaudreau or Hartman expendable to a contender.

MNNumbers

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 17, 2011
I don’t see him sticking at the NHL level with Hartman and Duhaime set to return soon:

Kap-Steel-Zucc
GREEF
Boldy-Gaudreau-Hartman
Duhaime-Dewar-Shaw
Reaves

Who knows, maybe he makes a player like Gaudreau or Hartman expendable to a contender.

Word here is going to tell you:
Kap - Hart - Zucc
GREEF
Boldy - Gaudreau - Walker
Duahime - Dewar - Shaw
Reaves

Steel plus either Dewar or Shaw gets the ax.

But I don't really know. What I do know is that I want to see 3 pts in 2 games or whatever, and have something to be happy about.

north21

May 1, 2014
MN
Hope he gets a few more games before we get healthy just to see if he can start to produce. Like what i have seen so far.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN

Kap-Steel-Zucc
GREEF
Boldy-Gaudreau-Hartman
Duhaime-Dewar-Shaw
Reaves

I doubt it, for a variety of reasons. Barring a Rossi emergence, this team simply can't lose C's, let alone C's that have tiny cap hits relative to their play.

My player to lose would be Steel. I just don't think he is vg, or even good. It's possible that we can get something for him, but he would likely be a waiver wire guy still, which kind of says it all. I thought he had been more productive this year due to being put with Kap and Zucc, but nope, he's chugging along at his normal career P/PG, if not a bit lower.

Word here is going to tell you:
Kap - Hart - Zucc
GREEF
Boldy - Gaudreau - Walker
Duahime - Dewar - Shaw
Reaves

Steel plus either Dewar or Shaw gets the ax.

But I don't really know. What I do know is that I want to see 3 pts in 2 games or whatever, and have something to be happy about.
Why would Dewar or Shaw get axed - which is NOT happening, btw? You just need to lose one player.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Hope he gets a few more games before we get healthy just to see if he can start to produce. Like what i have seen so far.
There is certainly an electricity to his game that we didn't see from Petan, Cramarossa, Chaffee, Beckman, or Rossi. We'll see if it translates to points, but I don't think it's a coincidence that Boldy has looked better in the two games Walker started.

f7ben

Mar 25, 2018
He’s been awesome and you can see the production will come. I’d like to see him stick.

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
I doubt it, for a variety of reasons. Barring a Rossi emergence, this team simply can't lose C's, let alone C's that have tiny cap hits relative to their play.

My player to lose would be Steel. I just don't think he is vg, or even good. It's possible that we can get something for him, but he would likely be a waiver wire guy still, which kind of says it all. I thought he had been more productive this year due to being put with Kap and Zucc, but nope, he's chugging along at his normal career P/PG, if not a bit lower.

Why would Dewar or Shaw get axed - which is NOT happening, btw? You just need to lose one player.
Can Walker not play center? I was under the impression he was like Hartman/Gaudreau, can play both wing and center. I’d also think that Gaudreau is gone after this year.

I’m fine with letting Steel go. He showed promise with Kap/Zucc early, but has been fizzling out lately.

Reactions: Slotski

Wabit

May 23, 2016
There is certainly an electricity to his game that we didn't see from Petan, Cramarossa, Chaffee, Beckman, or Rossi. We'll see if it translates to points, but I don't think it's a coincidence that Boldy has looked better in the two games Walker started.

I agree he has an element than none of the other plugs you listed. I'm just wondering how much he was running on pure excitement/emotion the first two games?

He's off to a good start, and seems like the best option for the Boldy line until players get healthy. The next 5 games are against the bottom teams. So it's a nice break-in period for him to find his footing, pick up his first points, and see what he is as a player.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Can Walker not play center? I was under the impression he was like Hartman/Gaudreau, can play both wing and center. I’d also think that Gaudreau is gone after this year.

Even if he can play center, I'd prefer to keep him at wing for now. Let him get acclimated to the NHL game and not focus so much about the d-zone game. FWIW I also say this for most centers breaking into the NHL. More of a baby step process than getting tossed into the deep end.

I like to think Freddy G is gone at the end of the year. What I think will actually happen is, the that GMBG gives him a stupid money/term contract to keep him. Just because he likes him, similar to Fletcher with Prosser (at least he was around league min).

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN

I’m fine with letting Steel go. He showed promise with Kap/Zucc early, but has been fizzling out lately.
Yes, he can play C. I think the Wild have him earmarked as a RW, though, which isn't the worst thing.

Wabit

May 23, 2016

Just saw this on Twitter

This is what I've figured would happen. It's simply a numbers game. One of Reaves/Steel will be in the pressbox already.

Walker is waivers exempt and don't have much pro experience. Walker needs to be playing, just to get the full season ~80 games experience. College only plays half that number of games, and just can't replicate the physical/mental wear and tear that goes into a full pro season.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
I really like what i've seen from Duhaime, and while I hope Hartman regains some of last year's magic, he's at least a decent 3rd line RW, but neither of those players have Walker's offensive flair, and that's what Boldy, and that line, need.

Reactions: fredrikstad

Minnesota

L'Etoile du Nord
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2011
I’ve liked him a lot; more than pre-injury Duhaime.

Dewar-Shaw-Walker is a pretty great PK/energy line, IMO.

north21

May 1, 2014
MN
I like to think Freddy G is gone at the end of the year. What I think will actually happen is, the that GMBG gives him a stupid money/term contract to keep him. Just because he likes him, similar to Fletcher with Prosser (at least he was around league min).

I really hope they let him walk too but you just know there is a multi-year contract just waiting for him.

fredrikstad

Jan 4, 2011
Norway
And that in it self, has a lot of value for the team

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
a visitor bump

who is Sammy Walker and why he been so productive in his rookie season in the AHL?

19 goals, +15, about 40 points with 21 penalty minutes in 35 games.

Wasted Talent

Sponsor
Aug 9, 2011
a visitor bump

who is Sammy Walker and why he been so productive in his rookie season in the AHL?

19 goals, +15, about 40 points with 21 penalty minutes in 35 games.

College free agent, opted to not sign with his draft team Tampa. Had a brief 6 game stint in the NHL where he didn't look out of place despite not really producing much in terms of actual points.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad