Value of: Sami Vatanen

devils29

Jan 9, 2019
People on this site really do not understand the price of rentals. Thinking a 40 Point RHD who’s responsible defensively only nets a 2nd + b prospect are out to lunch. Every year people always go “wow ____ over paid for a rental!” At what point do people just realize thats the price of a rental. They go for that much because multiple teams want said player. It isn’t just acquiring a player you want, it’s also making sure a team you’re going to have to play doesn’t get that player.

Kraken Jokes

May 28, 2010
People on this site really do not understand the price of rentals. Thinking a 40 Point RHD who’s responsible defensively only nets a 2nd + b prospect are out to lunch. Every year people always go “wow ____ over paid for a rental!” At what point do people just realize thats the price of a rental. They go for that much because multiple teams want said player. It isn’t just acquiring a player you want, it’s also making sure a team you’re going to have to play doesn’t get that player.

You see this almost every trade deadline. A sought-after player goes to a team that doesn't need said player positionally, and most are surprised.

Reactions: devils29

duckpuck

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2007
Id like him back in anaheim personally... i dont know that wed move our 1st... but id do something like

Ritchie + morand/guhle
Maybe something around Groulx

Conditional pick on him resigning

Why would the duck trade futures for a rental? This is awful for the ducks unless Sami is concurrently signed to a decent deal. And even then, why trade assets for a guy you can sign for free in the offseason?

Vats is a good player. I'd love to have him back in Anaheim next year. But there is absolutely no reason the ducks should be making the best offer for him as a rental.

Actually people on this site are far more likely to over value players than under value the price of rentals.

How many first round picks were traded at or near last years draft? Hint: Not many. Rental Kevin Hayes got a first. Rental Duchene got a first. Muzzin - not a rental - got a low first. Montour - not a rental (still a RFA) and more of a hockey trade - got a very low first (terms of the trade made it the lowest of Buffalo's three). Obviously, Stone also returned a ton, but he was re-signed as part of the deal and was clearly the best player available.

Sami - who again I like - is not the caliber of player as any of those pending UFAs. He's just not.

Better comparables - Zuccarello (2nd and 3rd), Dzingel (who like Sami was having a great year) got a prospect and 2 seconds. Hagelin - a third. and sixth.

NJ should absolutely ask for the moon. Maybe he gets a first from a cup contending team (i.e., low first) in great need. But I'd be surprised to see that happen.

FinnishDevil

Dec 6, 2013
Finland
Better comparables - Zuccarello (2nd and 3rd), Dzingel (who like Sami was having a great year) got a prospect and 2 seconds. Hagelin - a third. and sixth.

NJ should absolutely ask for the moon. Maybe he gets a first from a cup contending team (i.e., low first) in great need. But I'd be surprised to see that happen.
I think Zuccarello and Dzingel and their returns are definitely realistic for Vats, but I'd give him the slight edge for his position only.

Playoff team adding a top 4 dman for a low first could definitely happen. Especially if its a team that expects to make the conference finals.

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
I think Vatanen is more valuable than most here think.
- 571:06 toi this season (4th most ice time by any Devils player)
- 21:58 ice time per game this season (2nd highest by any Devils player)
- Has 58 shots on goal this season (2nd most by Devils d-men)
- Has 50 blocked shots this season (2nd most by any Devils player)
- Has 30 hits this season (2nd most by Devils d-men <2 player tie>)
- Has 15 PP shots on goal this season (most by Devils d-men)
- Has 13 points this season (most points by Devils d-men)
- Has 8 takeaways this season (2nd most by Devils d-men)
- Has 6 PP points this season (most PP points by Devils d-men, 3rd most by any Devils player)
- Has 4 goals this season (most goals by Devils d-men)
- Has +/- +/- 0 this season (the only Devils d-man not with a negative +/- )
(highest home +/- +4 in the team)

Edit: cap hit U 5 mill

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
RHD? Check!
Speed? Check!
Puckmover? Check!

Literally every team who is headed to the playoffs should be interested in Sami.

I'm guessing he could fetch a 2nd rounder + B prospect at the deadline maybe?

Considering your checks that sound awfully low.

Reactions: Billdo

devils29

Jan 9, 2019
I think Zuccarello and Dzingel and their returns are definitely realistic for Vats, but I'd give him the slight edge for his position only.

Playoff team adding a top 4 dman for a low first could definitely happen. Especially if its a team that expects to make the conference finals.
While I would put the players you mentioned in the same tier as Vatanen, his position alone makes him worth more. Defenseman always go for more at the deadline. I mean, look at last year. The devils got a 3rd and a young #6-7 defenseman for Ben Lovejoy... thinking vatanen is only worth one round higher of a pick doesn’t really make sense. A very good rental top 4 RHD will garner a lot of interest.

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
it depends who wants him , if a team needs a dman they will get a first from the pens or someone , i could see the jets too cuz wheeler is in the second center spot they normally blow their load on and buff isnt likely to play for them atm

the thing is 1st plus good prospect is basically what they will prob get for hall so

plus its right before an expansion draft so if a team does want to sign him they have to consider that

Last edited:

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
i do hope the oilers are out on this one tho they need to fix their forwards before getting a d man

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad